NCAA advisory panel discusses the reality of not playing college football in 2020

I keep saying it and there is no way for this not to turn political.

But, people are not going to volunteer for an economic collapse.

I believe strongly football will be played. Movie theaters will be open. Schools will be open. Etc., etc, etc.

Otherwise, I better brush up on the Hunger Games to find out what district I'm in.
Depending on where in Florida you live, you will either be in the jort or mullet district

Safety has to be paramount. If we can get it done safely, do that. If not, then we may lose a season.

It sucks but health comes before sport.

Maybe they could delay the season a bit? My guess is the bulk of corona is over by August-September.
If safety was really paramount, football would have been banned when the CTE study was published.

It is a bit more nuanced than that. You can't cancel the world forever in the name of safety.

Nor can we open it in the name of money and football, I agree its nuanced.
True.

I think the virus will hit its peak infection rate soon, the US Healthcare system will be strained but will absolutely not break under the pressure. In the next month or so an antibody test will be developed that shows the death rate isn't nearly as high as we thought, and sports resume in baby steps starting with NBA and MLB.

Just my prediction.

I believe strongly football will be played. Movie theaters will be open. Schools will be open. Etc., etc, etc.

Otherwise, I better brush up on the Hunger Games to find out what district I'm in.
Respectfully, I disagree. It's not like there isn't a precedent for this in American history, albeit not in most of our lifetimes. WWII. Granted that was over 75 years ago. I hope I turn out wrong...

I vote for all sports to move forward in empty stadiums until a vaccine is available. Money will be lost on attendance, but leagues and teams should have the right to restructure TV contracts since there will be more butts at home watching.
That's the only way we will have a 20 season and be half safe, i am afraid that we won't have sport's until the fall of 21, i think the NBA might try to play with no fans, but who knows different world now, a WORLD WAR HAS BROKE OUT against a VIRUS, really nobody knows for sure how long before we have sports back in our life, it's SAD to be a sports fan now days, we always had SPORTS to fall back to when a something bad happen to this country, but not this time, but in the end we the people will win and move on with our life.

Reactions: 08Vol
If we are still in lockdown mode come fall 2021, be prepared to live in a country where you have no job, no retirement, and you eat only because the government gives you about $500 a month to not starve
My Grand parents told me back in the 1940's that everybody went to the store once a month and got meal. flour salt just the basic stuff, and was glad to get that, but this day and time i don't know if people could get by like they did back then.

Reactions: 08Vol and Smellvin

Schools MAY be open to some degree, and there will be some new form of temporary normalcy, but there’s no way football happens until there’s a vaccine...won’t put 85 kids in a crowded space to practice/play a game, when there’s a real life threat.

Actually, I have two kids in college who are now figuring out how to go to class from home. People are going to realize they don’t have to spend their life savings, in some cases, on brick and mortar college....it’s been ripe for disruption for the past 10-15 years with crazy escalating costs, and someone like Amazon is going to disrupt it. Don’t know what that may mean for college sports...

I'm optimistic that the basketball season will be played because I think the virus will be more or less gone by then, but I'm doubtful that we will see any football in 2020. The only way they play football is if they don't start the season until mid October. That would make for a strange calendar.

Reactions: turnuptheVOLtage
This is why when people say we will definitely play in 2020, I say it is not that easy. The NCAA is using this committee to help make decisions and so it’s not going to be football coaches and ADs saying let’s play.
Football will be the least of our worries if this virus is still around in August.

I think all of this depends on what the virus does, how long it takes to develop and manufacture and administer hundedrs of millions of doses of vaccine, and the time frame in which these actions occur. When we learn more about the epidemiology of the virus and even if vaccine can be developed will help determine the timeline. It takes time to thoroughly study novel virus and how they will react in the future. So, the question will likey not be answered until middle-late Summer or later. If an effective vaccine is developed and becomes available, the population must take the vaccine at a rate greater rate than it currently take Flu vaccine for circulation of the virus to be controlled.

Respectfully, I disagree. It's not like there isn't a precedent for this in American history, albeit not in most of our lifetimes. WWII. Granted that was over 75 years ago. I hope I turn out wrong...

The country did the opposite of grind to a screeching halt during WWII. The economy roared. Women and the black population had record employment numbers at that time. WWII is actually what truly pulled the country out of the Great Depression.

This is the point. We are not talking about a 9-11 situation where the travel and tourism industry is effected and everything else is still relatively ok. We are talking about the entire economy here.

If all this effected were sports and large concerts, that's one thing. But, that's not what we are dealing with here.

Last edited:
That's the only way we will have a 20 season and be half safe, i am afraid that we won't have sport's until the fall of 21, i think the NBA might try to play with no fans, but who knows different world now, a WORLD WAR HAS BROKE OUT against a VIRUS, really nobody knows for sure how long before we have sports back in our life, it's SAD to be a sports fan now days, we always had SPORTS to fall back to when a something bad happen to this country, but not this time, but in the end we the people will win and move on with our life.

And just maybe less than 1 percent who get it die. And will be tons who get it because it’s so contagious and we never know that it may be less than that. You guys are same who freak out after two bad possessions in a football game and say it’s over. @Catbone. Then we come back and win and you cheer again. How
About we try to get to halftime first at least

I'm optimistic that the basketball season will be played because I think the virus will be more or less gone by then, but I'm doubtful that we will see any football in 2020. The only way they play football is if they don't start the season until mid October. That would make for a strange calendar.
If there's no college football playing in 2020 then there will not be any college basketball played either.

Reactions: esarmstrong
I have no intention of going to any large assemblages UT football included, for at least the remainder of 2020. Sold my season tickets for face vale, let someone else take the monetary and, potentially the "sick" risk. If we play, and I sincerely doubt we will, TV football will be fine. Or no football at all. Not the end of the World. ffs.

There may or may not be football this fall. My only suggestion is to wait as long as possible before calling it off or shortening the season.

8 games is better than zero.

Plan A we have 15 games and at all of them. If it turns out I have to get updates over my phone for all 15 wins, so be it.

Just don’t pull the plug in May or June.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
And just maybe less than 1 percent who get it die. And will be tons who get it because it’s so contagious and we never know that it may be less than that. You guys are same who freak out after two bad possessions in a football game and say it’s over. @Catbone. Then we come back and win and you cheer again. How
About we try to get to halftime first at least
The trick on the 1% is to make sure it’s 1% of 2-300,000 instead of 1% of a billion.

VN Store

Back