NCAA advisory panel discusses the reality of not playing college football in 2020

I know that your daily routine of installing printer drivers and delivering keyboards doesn’t lend itself particularly well to reading, but would you kindly point out where I suggested packing Neyland when you’re done fearmongering?

P.S. Still waiting on the mortality rate spike data, which obviously doesn’t exist, whenever you’re ready!

I wish I was only responsible for "print drivers and keyboards" considering my team and I just transitioned from 40% remote coworkers to 90%+ with zero downtime or loss of services.

P.S I see you still don't understand viral mortality rates.
Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19

Last edited:
Season starts on time. NCAA may allow an extra 2 weeks of fall practice to make up for the lost spring practices. No spring games, obviously, but the season starts on time.

If the U.S. has not stopped this virus by July 1st, then the college football season is among the least of our concerns. Those who are still alive and fully functional at that point will be focused on survival, as our economy will likely be in the crapper by then.

So I'll go with "the season starts on time". If I'm wrong, I dang sure won't have to worry about eating any crow on VN.....

Last edited:
At some point, we’re just going to have to forge ahead. The NCAA and the schools aren’t going to be too keen on losing revenue hand over fist so, absolute worst-case scenario, I’d expect to see college basketball played with empty arenas this fall and winter. Not to be callous, but I don’t see how schools can be expected to offer athletic scholarships if they’re not generating any revenue.

If there are no sports being played then there are probably also no classes because the university is shut down.

You don't have to pay for a scholarship if there is no school.

What would most likely happen is these kids will be offered an additional year of eligibility when everyone is allowed to play again.

It will basically be like this year never existed.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
MLB players have been in discussions with owners and MLBPA and Owners have agreed to a restructured deal. When the season starts is the question, they have restructured seasons set for 144 games, 120, 100, even 81 games. Earliest start would be mid May. Most think end of June/July 1 is estimated date of opening day. If baseball is played, and they plan on it, why wouldn’t football?

At some point, we’re just going to have to forge ahead. The NCAA and the schools aren’t going to be too keen on losing revenue hand over fist so, absolute worst-case scenario, I’d expect to see college basketball played with empty arenas this fall and winter. Not to be callous, but I don’t see how schools can be expected to offer athletic scholarships if they’re not generating any revenue.

If there is no football season this coming school year then there will be no basketball season either.

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
Steve Mnuchin seems optimistic..

"I don’t know what the numbers are gonna be this quarter. What I do think is, we are gonna kill this virus," Mnuchin said. "We’re gonna re-open this economy. And in the third quarter of this year, you’re gonna see this economy bounce back with very large GDP numbers and low unemployment back to where we were beforehand."

Maybe if everything goes just right then we will have a shortened season at least.

I couldn't imagine no college football, but at the rate this country is handling this thing...it's looking like it will be a depressing fall.

Reactions: Jaws
Steve Mnuchin seems optimistic..

"I don’t know what the numbers are gonna be this quarter. What I do think is, we are gonna kill this virus," Mnuchin said. "We’re gonna re-open this economy. And in the third quarter of this year, you’re gonna see this economy bounce back with very large GDP numbers and low unemployment back to where we were beforehand."

Maybe if everything goes just right then we will have a shortened season at least.
I’d rather not and just reboot for 2021 as much as that would suck

They can't afford to keep everything shut down that long. Surely to God there we be college football. I'm just ready for everything to be back to normal.

We have got to open back up, there will be more deaths in lock down if it continues than the virus. Just my opinion. You want to isolate do so, but open up. Our country cannot continue lockdown much longer.

My Grand parents told me back in the 1940's that everybody went to the store once a month and got meal. flour salt just the basic stuff, and was glad to get that, but this day and time i don't know if people could get by like they did back then.

Thats where we are headed if we don't open back up.

Very well put...BOTH aspects must be weighed, and when they are, the entire world economy will collapse if things are still shut done next fall. There won’t even be bread lines because no country will have the tax revenue to afford them. I wish more folks would understand this aspect of it.

I agree totally with you. I think it is more unsafe to continue lockdown than it is to open back up, and I mean open up totally. Our experts are not even sure if lock downs work anyways. Sweeden did not close anything down, and their numbers are very similiar to ours with the lock down

Reactions: EZE
Empty stadiums or not, your premise is that fans don't congregate in large stadiums, but is OK for kids to practice and play the ULTIMATE contact sport, amid the virus (with no vaccine in sight), because everyone's "READY" for college football? OK

Simple, test before each practice and game

So we test everyone. O.K. Then when 3 kids test positive Sunday afternoon, two teams are shut down for at least two weeks. Not trying to argue, but there has to be a better solution before we play again. New data showing young folks are perhaps left with organ damage, heart and lungs primarily, and a life span shortened by 13 years.

I just don't know how this can be made to work with today's information. And, I'm really tired of the same 12-15 games being repeated by ESPN/SEC Network.

Reactions: oz615
Just open it back up period, enough folks running around anyways. In another 2 months we need to go full speed ahead in all areas minus any like new York but even there I expect things to be much better by then. GBO!

VN Store

Back