NCAA advisory panel discusses the reality of not playing college football in 2020

It's been over a decade since we've seen real UT football. What's another year?
Now the rest of college football starts to taste what Tennessee fans have tasted for a while. Obviously, this is very serious business and loss of sports is one of many growing casualties of this terrible pandemic.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Wow - this is just a nightmare. My daughter is a freshman in the Pride of the Southland Band. She was packed and ready to travel to Nashville when they got the news. It's too bad for all of the kids that missed that experience, players, family and fans. She's worried about the upcoming football season and rightly so. She is also concerned about her friends who are graduating high school this year, and who planned to go to UT to be in the band also. Does it make sense for them to do that now? Will they even have in-person classes in the Fall? If they don't, is an online class an online class? Is it cheaper at UTC than UTK? So many questions - so little information. I love my college football, but all of this just makes me sick to my stomach. I am by my nature an optimist, but it is becoming increasingly hard to be optimistic about the upcoming season. The world will need a huge turn-around for that to happen. What I don't want to happen is something like what happened to the world when the Spanish Flu came back for a second whammy. I realize this is a different time with different technology, but this is somewhat uncharted territory also.

Heck, test everyone directly involved, play with no fans in the stadium, and charge $10 on pay per view. They would probably make more total than they would selling tickets.
Yeah, that'll work. JG would be in favor of social distancing from oncoming DL's.

Reactions: cgrish
I think you will see the 2020 college and professional seasons played in empty stadiums with essential personnel.

The people of the United States will be ready for sports.
You could be right but that would be weird just like Wrestlemania was without the fans

I think you will see the 2020 college and professional seasons played in empty stadiums with essential personnel.

The people of the United States will be ready for sports.
Empty stadiums or not, your premise is that fans don't congregate in large stadiums, but is OK for kids to practice and play the ULTIMATE contact sport, amid the virus (with no vaccine in sight), because everyone's "READY" for college football? OK

Safety has to be paramount. If we can get it done safely, do that. If not, then we may lose a season.

It sucks but health comes before sport.

Maybe they could delay the season a bit? My guess is the bulk of corona is over by August-September.
I heard reports over the weekend from medical experts the Covid-19 will slow down in the Summer and then reestablish for a 2nd round in the fall and then a 3rd round in spring 2021.

I heard reports over the weekend from medical experts the Covid-19 will slow down in the Summer and then reestablish for a 2nd round in the fall and then a 3rd round in spring 2021.

At some point, we’re just going to have to forge ahead. The NCAA and the schools aren’t going to be too keen on losing revenue hand over fist so, absolute worst-case scenario, I’d expect to see college basketball played with empty arenas this fall and winter. Not to be callous, but I don’t see how schools can be expected to offer athletic scholarships if they’re not generating any revenue.

Not to be callous, but I don’t see how schools can be expected to offer athletic scholarships if they’re not generating any revenue.

That's a fair point. I've got to believe that assuming the kids don't transfer to a school closer to home out of fear of the unknown, if their scholarships aren't honored or offered, how will they expect to get/keep them? I'll bet they continue to honor already offered scholarships, and offer all of the scholarships that they promised.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
At some point, we’re just going to have to forge ahead. The NCAA and the schools aren’t going to be too keen on losing revenue hand over fist so, absolute worst-case scenario, I’d expect to see college basketball played with empty arenas this fall and winter. Not to be callous, but I don’t see how schools can be expected to offer athletic scholarships if they’re not generating any revenue.

Because what could go wrong with cramming 100K people into Neyland Stadium if we are still dealing with virus spreading at similar rates to what it is currently? Gotta generate that money for UT AD/SEC/NCAA.
Woman dies of suspected COVID-19 amid fears she caught it family funeral with 16 others
Couple who saw 37 of their wedding guests get infected with COVID-19 break their silence | Daily Mail Online
A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead

I meant to add to my previous post as well that the folks who are dismissive of the economic impact of prolonged shut down are just as in denial of facts as those who are dismissive of the seriousness of the virus.

The first rule in medicine is to do no more harm....i.e., KILL THE PATIENT while trying to figure out a cure.

So, we gonna financially DESTROY the lives of 200 million+ people in the hopes of saving how many???

Listening to Coach Doug Mathews & Tony Barnhart on radio this morning. Tony feels chance of 2020 football season is "about 50-50 right now". Says next 2-3 weeks could tell us a lot. :(

Next 2-3 weeks do not offer much hope. The numbers are still going up like a Moon shot.

Reactions: feathersax
Because what could go wrong with cramming 100K people into Neyland Stadium if we are still dealing with virus spreading at similar rates to what it is currently? Gotta generate that money for UT AD/SEC/NCAA.
Woman dies of suspected COVID-19 amid fears she caught it family funeral with 16 others
Couple who saw 37 of their wedding guests get infected with COVID-19 break their silence | Daily Mail Online
A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead

I know that your daily routine of installing printer drivers and delivering keyboards doesn’t lend itself particularly well to reading, but would you kindly point out where I suggested packing Neyland when you’re done fearmongering?

P.S. Still waiting on the mortality rate spike data, which obviously doesn’t exist, whenever you’re ready!

VN Store

Back