Name Image Likeness

What part of the 9-0 Supreme Court anti-trust ruling don't you understand?

Restrictions have been ruled illegal, and that's not going to change.

Maybe you misunderstood or I misstated or maybe you see restrictions that I do not.

What I am stating is simple as a base salary for all players and if they make more through performance and longevity on the roster then fine. Where does that violate anti-trust laws?

For Example, Hooker got a car and endorsement from French's mustard.

He gets it, no restrictions, and by no means what I have stated would affect this money. He earned it and deserves it.

Texas Tech gave $25,000 each to 100+ football players which does not violate NIL or anti trust laws. I am sure with endorsements some will make more than the base of $25,000.

If a deal between a player and company you can't divide it up nor would you. Those deals would go solely to the player.

So what's the problem?

Blah blah blah blah blah poor scholarship athletes. How selfish is it to accept free tuition, food, housing, unlimited access to personal trainers and medical when needed? What is the fair market cost for all these services.

Go.to work Monday and let your bosses know you want to get paid minimum wage going forward.

Then sign up as a part time student. And should your performance in either domain not meet expectations you will be fired and expected to.leave school.

Also ask for a hard ass boss that yells at you when you make a mistake.

Then have your weekly exprctaions and performance put on line, in the newspaper and allow dumbasses on message boards critique siad performance. Even when the vast majority have never even seen what your job entrails.

You are wrong and selfish to.expect more from these young men and women than you do of yourself.

I can't worry about the normal students, NIL does not apply to them.
This is a conversation about NIL and its affect on College Football.
It is not a conversation about Student Loan Debt.
That’s right NIL doesn’t.
I replied to “ some compensation for all players “ and scholarships do 100% apply to that convo.
Compensation is compensation, so if you want to argue the disparity that NIL deals can lead to then go ahead, but pick and choose just what you want to include is an invalid representation.

That’s right NIL doesn’t.
I replied to “ some compensation for all players “ and scholarships do 100% apply to that convo.
Compensation is compensation, so if you want to argue the disparity that NIL deals can lead to then go ahead, but pick and choose just what you want to include is an invalid representation.
You up for debate class. Your argument has gone to gibberish. Too much deflective reasoning. 6 kids in College. Some with scholarships and some without. Debt is Debt, everybody has debt. NIL is what it is. Look at the Texas Tech model you will get what I am saying. Remember you are the one that introduced Normal Students to the equation not me.

Can't stop NIL, but programs better learn how to manage it effectively.

Maybe you misunderstood or I misstated or maybe you see restrictions that I do not.

What I am stating is simple as a base salary for all players and if they make more through performance and longevity on the roster then fine. Where does that violate anti-trust laws?

For Example, Hooker got a car and endorsement from French's mustard.

He gets it, no restrictions, and by no means what I have stated would affect this money. He earned it and deserves it.

Texas Tech gave $25,000 each to 100+ football players which does not violate NIL or anti trust laws. I am sure with endorsements some will make more than the base of $25,000.

If a deal between a player and company you can't divide it up nor would you. Those deals would go solely to the player.

So what's the problem?
The problem is once the NCAA or schools agree on a "minimum salary" you are admitting the NCAA and schools are running a pro sports organization.

Wanna get sued? Pay the football players a salary and don't pay every other NCAA sport a salary.

Want to see players unionize? Start giving a "minimum salary" to players and they can organize to increase that minimum via collective bargaining.

The very last thing the NCAA and schools want is to be involved in any way with the money players receive via NIL and they REALLY don't want it called a salary. They are trying to insist players are amateurs and the NCAA isn't a pro sports organization.

You heard logic and common sense but it’s good that you’re transparent about your lack of care for those things. I’m the real world, if you’re better at something, you get compensated more than those that aren’t.
It's a team sport tho, Hendon doesn't excel without the players around him, disagree? Just look at what not having Banks the other night did to Hendons season, if his point was "see how the Superstars do without me" I think he proved his value quite effectively albeit selfish and low down, it is what it is.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
I've said before, that program that figures out how to do NIL the way the NFL does rookie signing bonuses will be supreme.

Problem is you are trying to play out life lessons (player x has more value than player y due to position, talent, and marketability) to guys who for the most part have never had to deal with life.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
You up for debate class. Your argument has gone to gibberish. Too much deflective reasoning. 6 kids in College. Some with scholarships and some without. Debt is Debt, everybody has debt. NIL is what it is. Look at the Texas Tech model you will get what I am saying. Remember you are the one that introduced Normal Students to the equation not me.

Can't stop NIL, but programs better learn how to manage it effectively.
I have no problem with NIL. I also think the market sets the price. All American QB’s gonna get millions. Some below average O linemen not going to get much.
Some 3rd team special teams players getting nothing. Better get used to it, and stop worrying about everyone getting a slice of the pie.
NIL isn’t pay for play, it’s the result of the University’s refusal to share the profits and let the players have a little share of it.

I've said before, that program that figures out how to do NIL the way the NFL does rookie signing bonuses will be supreme.

Problem is you are trying to play out life lessons (player x has more value than player y due to position, talent, and marketability) to guys who for the most part have never had to deal with life.
People keep wanting it both ways. They want it structured like the NFL but under the guise of the NCAA is an amateur organization.

Any collusion by schools to achieve a "rookie contract maximum with signing bonuses" is going to be illegal if the NCAA is still an amateur organization.

The NCAA can't control the money player's get and still be an amateur organization. There is no possible way you can control what someone is paid for their work if they aren't your employee.

I have no problem with NIL. I also think the market sets the price. All American QB’s gonna get millions. Some below average O linemen not going to get much.
Some 3rd team special teams players getting nothing. Better get used to it, and stop worrying about everyone getting a slice of the pie.
NIL isn’t pay for play, it’s the result of the University’s refusal to share the profits and let the players have a little share of it.
I agree but I was under the impression that Universities could not directly donate funds at all. If they did then NIL would be totally out of control. Collectives must provide the funding through donations collected. Deals are dealt with on an individual basis with Collectives providing (legal+)oversight?

The problem is once the NCAA or schools agree on a "minimum salary" you are admitting the NCAA and schools are running a pro sports organization.

Wanna get sued? Pay the football players a salary and don't pay every other NCAA sport a salary.

Want to see players unionize? Start giving a "minimum salary" to players and they can organize to increase that minimum via collective bargaining.

The very last thing the NCAA and schools want is to be involved in any way with the money players receive via NIL and they REALLY don't want it called a salary. They are trying to insist players are amateurs and the NCAA isn't a pro sports organization.
So what has Texas Tech done that is different Paid $25,000 to 100+ players?

I agree but I was under the impression that Universities could not directly donate funds at all. If they did then NIL would be totally out of control. Collectives must provide the funding through donations collected. Deals are dealt with on an individual basis with Collectives providing (legal+)oversight?
That's correct. You were suggesting a "minimum salary" situation and the collectives, like the schools, cannot "agree on" (which is collusion) to "pay no more than this" for talent.

There's no controlling NIL by anyone that's going to be legal. You can't set salaries for people you don't employ and you can't, as a group of businesses involved in a specific business area, collude to keep salaries at a "correct level."

So what has Texas Tech done that is different Paid $25,000 to 100+ players?
Texas Tech has an NIL collective that chose to give NIL deals to people it chose.

The problem is in trying to keep another NIL in Texas from choosing to give NIL deals worth $40,000 to another group of people they choose.

You can't control NIL. You just can't. An NIL collective can do as it pleases and sign whatever deal with whomever it wishes. You can't mandate who gets what.

Folks by no means am i bashing Hooker nor any other that is cashing in on a NIL deal .But we have to understand .The NIL will ruin the best sport going in the United States and that is college football.
Yes we know it will draw big recruits to schools .no longer is a good education going to be a draw.
We all know football is composed as ELEVEN men on either side of the ball .and these eleven are like a well oiled machine and all have a job to do .working as one.What do you actually think is going to happen when a few pieces of the machine aren't getting oil.
We have heard all week the speculations and RUMORS.This will not happen happen in our house,it will happen in every house that has the NIL
I think this NIl deal is not only bad but could be very dangerous to the sport .THINK ABOUT IT .
Money root of all evil!! Now imagine 85 players with a handful actually making the majority of $$!! Jealousy then the downfall!! Actually pretty easy to see if coming.

Texas Tech has an NIL collective that chose to give NIL deals to people it chose.

The problem is in trying to keep another NIL in Texas from choosing to give NIL deals worth $40,000 to another group of people they choose.

You can't control NIL. You just can't. An NIL collective can do as it pleases and sign whatever deal with whomever it wishes. You can't mandate who gets what.

It’s similar to super PACs but for college athletes but is a little different.

Two things that super PACs achieve:

1. They can collect as much money as they want and use it to pay for campaign costs like ads and so forth without limitations. This circumvents limits on direct campaign donations but allows unlimited funding to be used on behalf of a candidate.

2. Anyone can create one, and decide collect and use such money on the candidates they want.

It’s a little different but there are similarities:

1. NIL deals bypass the restriction of University being unable to pay their athletes, basically allowing them to argue technically they are not paid to play.

This is similar to bypassing campaign donation laws in that bypasses a restriction on funding, but is a little different in that the money does directly end up being paid to the athlete instead of used on their behalf.

It’s more like instead of technically not paying a person, as in the super PAC, but spending by the money as if they had, they are paying the person and allowing them to use the money however, but technically allowing them to avoid being classified as paid university employees or having been paid to play and thus professionals.

Also super PACs can have complex agendas whereas a NIL deal is going to be used to make money directly by using athletes in their marketing usually. This isn’t exactly true but for businesses that want to sponsor athletes that’s mostly their angle. Like French’s just wants to sell more mustard and they want to use Hooker’s image to help do so.

2. Just as super PACs can be established by in a decentralized fashion by any interested parties with their own agendas, so too are NIL deals offered by different businesses and collectives established who decide what they will pay and to who with no control from the University or other businesses/groups.

Deals will become competitive but because one guy has one NIL deal doesn’t mean someone else won’t get a completely different deal. French’s cant stop Coca Cola or even a competitor in the condiment industry from establishing a deal with some other athlete. They could have totally different pay structures and requirements.

Reactions: Raebo
In theory yes. But we all know rules have never stood in the way of teams trying to get an edge.

If that were the case, Stanford would be the National Champion every year (noting that the Ivys don't give scholarships so they don't count).

I get the argument, and as football fans we tend to care less about the whole student athlete thing, but this is not looking at the big picture.

We have guys who want to play pro ball but the truth is the vast majority of NCAA athletes never will be professionals in their sport and the education they get is still very much important.

It looks less so if you are looking at football starters but plenty of students I knew who were in something like cross country or some other sport and also had excellent academics. Even most of the football guys will not play pro.

Football may be why they are mainly here but it’s a mistake to not take advantage of the educational opportunity they get. I think as fans we should want them to be successful even if they do not make it in sports at the next level.

Now college is not the only way someone can be successful. Plenty of people I’ve worked with are self taught and do not have degrees. Skills matter most in a lot of fields, but that doesn’t mean formal degrees can’t be helpful.

VN Store

Back