Name Image Likeness

In theory yes. But we all know rules have never stood in the way of teams trying to get an edge.

Really any big business or competitive endeavor where money and such gets involved you are going to have some who will break rules.

You even see this in things like performance enhancing drugs. If you get caught it might end up costing you, but if you get away with it then it probably gives you an edge over someone else who was similarly genetically gifted and just as hard working but didn’t use them.

It kind of depends though. Steroids might help someone become get stronger or be able to recover better for example but it’s not going to help you be able to hit a ball in baseball. When you do hit it sure you probably can hit it harder, but plenty of things are more skill based.

The real problem started when coaches became fabulously wealthy in P5 conferences. Too much value distortion between the managers and the featured wealth producers being limited economically by the NCAA rules.

So many people rely on the free market argument to control pay for workers, but this is one case where the free market is finally allowed to work for the players.

Now (econ major here) totally free markets tear groups apart, because just as you create mega wealth for the winners, you have losers who can literally starve without a safety net.

Players will find their level of value commensurate with talent, and some increasing their value over time through hard work. Locker rooms will have income disparities just like any workplace.

The NFL went through this phase after some players were millionaires and their teammates might be making less than $50k. see Johnny "Lam" Jones

College Football will get through this. I don't begrudge the kids getting a slice of the pie they help create. Players either find their level of value through NIL, or they move on. If they want better NIL deals, perform on the field.

If the defense's troubles relate to NIL tension, I suggest they demonstrate their value. As far as I understand, NIL deals can be struck at any time for a player (could be wrong).

And now transfer portal players can be hooked by preferred NIL deals. So players have to perform or be replaced by either experienced portal players or incoming freshmen. This is now survival of the fittest to the extreme.
Some players need to remember not every player in the portal is there voluntarily. Perform or move along.
The problem with NIL is it is structured in a way that will produce tension and disruption in a program. They might as well remove it from the college, end amateur sports and make it a minor league sport. At least the. There would be structured payment tiers. Right now, some players are making a lot of money (Hooker) and others none (Banks). This breeds dissenting and hurt feelings. Not knocking Hooker at all. Just the system.

Folks by no means am i bashing Hooker nor any other that is cashing in on a NIL deal .But we have to understand .The NIL will ruin the best sport going in the United States and that is college football.
Yes we know it will draw big recruits to schools .no longer is a good education going to be a draw.
We all know football is composed as ELEVEN men on either side of the ball .and these eleven are like a well oiled machine and all have a job to do .working as one.What do you actually think is going to happen when a few pieces of the machine aren't getting oil.
We have heard all week the speculations and RUMORS.This will not happen happen in our house,it will happen in every house that has the NIL
I think this NIl deal is not only bad but could be very dangerous to the sport .THINK ABOUT IT .

It really makes you think.

The problem with NIL is it is structured in a way that will produce tension and disruption in a program. They might as well remove it from the college, end amateur sports and make it a minor league sport. At least the. There would be structured payment tiers. Right now, some players are making a lot of money (Hooker) and others none (Banks). This breeds dissenting and hurt feelings. Not knocking Hooker at all. Just the system.
Instead of fighting the G-League and other alternatives, the elite football and basketball colleges need to split from the NCAA and form pro leagues who license the name and facilities of schools.

This cleans up pay and transfer issues, keeps some of the traditional rivalries somewhat intact, and allows other colleges to stay with the NCAA and keep amateur status.

Sure, I'm not thrilled with the idea of the Vols not being "student athletes" but let's be honest that the "student" part of that equation has been completely dwarfed by the "athlete" role.

Let's tear the band-aid off.

Great post ! The only thing that I would add, is in the NIL Era of college football , a players conduct off the field is important as well . They have to be marketable on and off the field !
I might add 2 more periods.

Yeah nobody saw it coming either. <--- bluest of blue fonts.

Go.to work Monday and let your bosses know you want to get paid minimum wage going forward.

Then sign up as a part time student. And should your performance in either domain not meet expectations you will be fired and expected to.leave school.

Also ask for a hard ass boss that yells at you when you make a mistake.

Then have your weekly exprctaions and performance put on line, in the newspaper and allow dumbasses on message boards critique siad performance. Even when the vast majority have never even seen what your job entrails.

You are wrong and selfish to.expect more from these young men and women than you do of yourself.

I fail to see how you equate my situation with anything similar to an FBS scholarship athlete.
1. I negotiate my wage. If I don't like what my employer pays there are other jobs I can seek.
2. I pay for my own gym membership and am expected to also pay for any personal trainer.
3. I pay for all of my own food.
4. Quite possibly the most important thing I pay for my own house.
5. As exceptional as I am Rivals does not spend $ on telling my employer how exceptional I am at doing my job.
6. I consider a boss who expects excellence a boss that I prefer.

Instead of fighting the G-League and other alternatives, the elite football and basketball colleges need to split from the NCAA and form pro leagues who license the name and facilities of schools.

This cleans up pay and transfer issues, keeps some of the traditional rivalries somewhat intact, and allows other colleges to stay with the NCAA and keep amateur status.

Sure, I'm not thrilled with the idea of the Vols not being "student athletes" but let's be honest that the "student" part of that equation has been completely dwarfed by the "athlete" role.

Let's tear the band-aid off.

Agree that ship sailed a long time ago

Reactions: Bigorangedan23
Geez we do all realize that without NIL, Bama, UGA, OSU, Clemson, etc continues dominance? Are we all OK with that? Is THAT good for the game when only 4-6 teams are in playoffs every year? Game has changed and we are in on the changes…not there yet but we aren’t “chasing with NIL. Without NIL our current and future roster looks a lot different…and not in a good way. Will we trade our NIL status to be what we’ve been the last 15 years to be …Miz, MSU, SC…even KY? JH has the system and apparent coaching chops (D debateable). UT has the following to create NIL opportunities. UT has the facilities. Are we better on this path or the mediocrity at best path of CBJ, Dooley, Pruitt, etc?

Expansion of the playoff evens the field more than NIL

I can't worry about the normal students, NIL does not apply to them.
This is a conversation about NIL and its affect on College Football.
It is not a conversation about Student Loan Debt.

I think what he is trying to say is; a scholarship is worth or the same as money. Many act as though the scholarship is worthless, but its not. I really don't know where I stand on nil deals at this time. But I do feel that with the transfer portal and nil it is going to be harder for coaches to maintain discipline.

No it wont.

And if it does it still is the right thing to do. Why should these young men and women provide their talent, skill and hard work below market value? Just so you can be entertained?

Thats a pretty damned selfish reason IMO.

Your boss amd company shareholders would.live you to do the same.

I can see the pros and cons on both sides of the nil. pros, huge profits are being made from the men and women playing the sport. Cons are they don't have to play, they choose to play, with the understanding by playing in college if they are good enough they will then become multi millionares, in the pros. If they are not good enough they received a free college education. Brice young had he chose not to play college football, would he ever have had the chance to make it in the nfl?

It's a team sport tho, Hendon doesn't excel without the players around him, disagree? Just look at what not having Banks the other night did to Hendons season, if his point was "see how the Superstars do without me" I think he proved his value quite effectively albeit selfish and low down, it is what it is.

Yeah. I agree. I get it's a team sport, but the team isn't doing the paying. Businesses/collectives mostly want the marketable athletes. Banks has himself to thank for not being that.

Folks by no means am i bashing Hooker nor any other that is cashing in on a NIL deal .But we have to understand .The NIL will ruin the best sport going in the United States and that is college football.
Yes we know it will draw big recruits to schools .no longer is a good education going to be a draw.
We all know football is composed as ELEVEN men on either side of the ball .and these eleven are like a well oiled machine and all have a job to do .working as one.What do you actually think is going to happen when a few pieces of the machine aren't getting oil.
We have heard all week the speculations and RUMORS.This will not happen happen in our house,it will happen in every house that has the NIL
I think this NIl deal is not only bad but could be very dangerous to the sport .THINK ABOUT IT .
Academics hasn’t been part of college football since the 1960’s.

Reactions: feathersax
I have no problem with NIL. I also think the market sets the price. All American QB’s gonna get millions. Some below average O linemen not going to get much.
Some 3rd team special teams players getting nothing. Better get used to it, and stop worrying about everyone getting a slice of the pie.
NIL isn’t pay for play, it’s the result of the University’s refusal to share the profits and let the players have a little share of it.

But nil money doesn't come from the Universities does it? I was under the impression that Universities could not fund nil deals? I could be wrong. I certainly stand to be corrected on this. As I don't think nil money cost the University anything.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Yeah. I agree. I get it's a team sport, but the team isn't doing the paying. Businesses/collectives mostly want the marketable athletes. Banks has himself to thank for not being that.
We understand this but we dont matter, its the players that matter and how they view the situation and apparently they dont all agree with that thought process.

Reactions: Stephen Gray

VN Store

Back