Name Image Likeness

Yes they do and they are paid according based on the industry standard. In College we are paying for players who have never played a College down. We are paying NIL based on potential.

For the Pros they are paying a salary based on 4 years based upon a body of work in college. Playing against equal caliber players.

The pros do not recruit. They buy and cut there rosters. So if you make a pro roster you are going to get paid. Making the roster as you know is slim. The system is there for NFL but it was not for College Ball.

Hard to judge a kid in HS playing against inferior talent and putting a worth on him... Trust the coaches' decision vs the NFL which is based a 100 - 1000x more information.

Thanks again for proving the point that amateur athletes should not be paid.

I disagree. I think the transfer portal is taking away some of the power of these coaches. They can no longer hold the cards when they are playing games with these kids when it comes to playing time and transferring. Remember the BS Kirbs pulled with Gibbs? I'm paraphrasing but he said hey it's not on me it's an sec rule and who am I to go against a rule.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. It’s just affecting the game tremendously in ways a lot of people don’t realize and not just with football. The value of a highly ranked recruiting class has taken a hit because a productive junior LB at a power 5 school transferring to your program is more valuable than the 5* LB recruit that will need a year to learn the system and develop more physically.

Also, D1 recruits on the bubble for schools are having a hard time getting offers than before because so many coaches now see that role being filled by a transfer and having more immediate success

Yes they do and they are paid according based on the industry standard. In College we are paying for players who have never played a College down. We are paying NIL based on potential.

For the Pros they are paying a salary based on 4 years based upon a body of work in college. Playing against equal caliber players.

The pros do not recruit. They buy and cut there rosters. So if you make a pro roster you are going to get paid. Making the roster as you know is slim. The system is there for NFL but it was not for College Ball.

Hard to judge a kid in HS playing against inferior talent and putting a worth on him... Trust the coaches' decision vs the NFL which is based a 100 - 1000x more information.

Yeah some people are gonna make big money with college NIL but if you really want to be well paid even if you aren’t a star, get to the league. The minimal salary is huge compared to the average NIL. Obviously the bigger stars still get paid more but we are talking much bigger minimums and maximums. Many fewer people getting them though. If you let NIL money jealousy tank your team though you are talking significantly lessening the probability you will get to play pro ball. It’s already hard enough to get to that point when you are trying to do everything right. I think they will figure this out.

Folks by no means am i bashing Hooker nor any other that is cashing in on a NIL deal .But we have to understand .The NIL will ruin the best sport going in the United States and that is college football.
Yes we know it will draw big recruits to schools .no longer is a good education going to be a draw.
We all know football is composed as ELEVEN men on either side of the ball .and these eleven are like a well oiled machine and all have a job to do .working as one.What do you actually think is going to happen when a few pieces of the machine aren't getting oil.
We have heard all week the speculations and RUMORS.This will not happen happen in our house,it will happen in every house that has the NIL
I think this NIl deal is not only bad but could be very dangerous to the sport .THINK ABOUT IT .

No it wont.

And if it does it still is the right thing to do. Why should these young men and women provide their talent, skill and hard work below market value? Just so you can be entertained?

Thats a pretty damned selfish reason IMO.

Your boss amd company shareholders would.live you to do the same.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Thanks again for proving the point that amateur athletes should not be paid.
I think if you are going to pay College athletics then do a base salary when they sign and then structure it accordingly as they progress. NIL allocation with restrictions should be done. NIL should be earned not awarded.
For example in the form or a Bonus annually.
For example, Longevity with the program = an annual retention bonus.
NIL needs to be structured like any other employee hire in a business.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. It’s just affecting the game tremendously in ways a lot of people don’t realize and not just with football. The value of a highly ranked recruiting class has taken a hit because a productive junior LB at a power 5 school transferring to your program is more valuable than the 5* LB recruit that will need a year to learn the system and develop more physically.

Also, D1 recruits on the bubble for schools are having a hard time getting offers than before because so many coaches now see that role being filled by a transfer and having more immediate success

So these "bubble D1 athletes" are going to have to work harder? I still fail to see the negatives.

Imagine being bothered that an individual, in this country, can earn money based on their Name Image and Likeness. Imagine thinking that college football should be protected more then that individuals rights. Jesus people

I think his point is that the "friction" caused by NIL can tear locker rooms apart. If player "A" is getting tons of cash and player "B" gets little to nothing, it's going to create jealousy and envy. Player "B" gets pissed and decides not to give his all....that can then become a locker room cancer. Personally I don't think it ends well with the current setup.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
No it wont.

And if it does it still is the right thing to do. Why should these young men and women provide their talent, skill and hard work below market value? Just so you can be entertained?

Blah blah blah blah blah poor scholarship athletes. How selfish is it to accept free tuition, food, housing, unlimited access to personal trainers and medical when needed? What is the fair market cost for all these services.

I think if you are going to pay College athletics then do a base salary when they sign and then structure it accordingly as they progress. NIL allocation with restrictions should be done. NIL should be earned not awarded.
For example in the form or a Bonus annually.
For example, Longevity with the program = an annual retention bonus.
NIL needs to be structured like any other employee hire in a business.

Lol this is fantasy land right here. You realize that the supreme court has already made it clear where they stand on this issue. There's no "cleaning this up"

No it wont.

I think there will be issues, but I also think it’s the right thing to do, and I don’t think it will kill college sports. Some things will change and there will be complications but how those are dealt with should get better over time. A regular college student not in sports can go out and make as much money off their own name, image, and likeness as they want and have always been able to do so. It doesn’t even matter if they are a scholarship student or not. Just your average college student is an unknown so companies don’t really compensate them because there is no advantage with associating some random kid with your brand. Doesn’t mean they can’t and haven’t been able to be compensated as such though. Already, fair market value aside, athletes were explicitly denied the same opportunity as a non-athlete, and the fact they could likely do more with that opportunity doesn’t make it right.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Blah blah blah blah blah poor scholarship athletes. How selfish is it to accept free tuition, food, housing, unlimited access to personal trainers and medical when needed? What is the fair market cost for all these services.
For me it comes down to the university and people at the top are making millions of dollars off of teenagers. I'm sick of seeing all the money go to the top in everything. Spread the wealth. They earned it.

Lol this is fantasy land right here. You realize that the supreme court has already made it clear where they stand on this issue. There's no "cleaning this up"
IYO. It can be cleaned up if enough get on board with a structure that does not violate the law. NIL is ok but amounts are random.

I think there will be issues, but I also think it’s the right thing to do, and I don’t think it will kill college sports. Some things will change and there will be complications but how those are dealt with should get better over time. A regular college student not in sports can go out and make as much money off their own name, image, and likeness as they want and have always been able to do so. It doesn’t even matter if they are a scholarship student or not. Just your average college student is an unknown so companies don’t really compensate them because there is no advantage with associating some random kid with your brand. Doesn’t mean they can’t and haven’t been able to be compensated as such though. Already, fair market value aside, athletes were explicitly denied the same opportunity as a non-athlete, and the fact they could likely do more with that opportunity doesn’t make it right.

I don't completely disagree with your take however how many non athletes are provided the list of services a scholarship athlete is and in the case of football and basketball a massive TV following? So I disagree that the playing field was level in this scenario.

For me it comes down to the university and people at the top are making millions of dollars off of teenagers. I'm sick of seeing all the money go to the top in everything. Spread the wealth. They earned it.

Lol. Are you also in favor of shutting down other sports in your effort to "spread the wealth?" Are you in favor of doing away with scholarships all together?

What about the cost of keeping these teenagers fed housed and access to year round personal trainers?

IYO. It can be cleaned up if enough get on board with a structure that does not violate the law. NIL is ok but amounts are random.

And the supreme court is not going to allow more arbitrary processes to limit any one person's earnings potential

I am not against NIL, but I do believe it should have had restrictions before implementation.
The Tennessee entity as a whole is as well a NIL Deal.
Shouldn't all players receive some compensation?
Call it a Salary if you want, but there are workarounds.

What part of the 9-0 Supreme Court anti-trust ruling don't you understand?

Restrictions have been ruled illegal, and that's not going to change.

I don't completely disagree with your take however how many non athletes are provided the list of services a scholarship athlete is and in the case of football and basketball a massive TV following? So I disagree that the playing field was level in this scenario.

It’s not an invalid point. They definitely get a lot better resources in some ways and their exposure gives them a better opportunity to actually have a name, image, and likeness worth anything. That said, every student gets a ton of resources when they pay their fees, whether they are scholarship or not.

A university full ride is definitely worth a lot even if you aren’t in the athletic department. So while we may disagree about whether student athletes are compensated enough I do want to point out that even in the old system it wasn’t like they were minimum wage employees.

I was never student athlete but the doc who looked at me after I separated my shoulder in a recreational judo accident was an excellent sports ortho who worked with our athletes. I got that without any proper insurance and just the access to university health resources.

It’s not an invalid point. They definitely get a lot better resources in some ways and their exposure gives them a better opportunity to actually have a name, image, and likeness worth anything. That said, every student gets a ton of resources when they pay their fees, whether they are scholarship or not.

A university full ride is definitely worth a lot even if you aren’t in the athletic department. So while we may disagree about whether student athletes are compensated enough I do want to point out that even in the old system it wasn’t like they were minimum wage employees.

I was never student athlete but the doc who looked at me after I separated my shoulder in a recreational judo accident was an excellent sports ortho who worked with our athletes. I got that without any proper insurance and just the access to university health resources.

Actually, now that I think about it I may have had some insurance that year, because I was also staff for a couple of years while attending. So I take back what I said about the insurance. I did get plenty of resources by just being a student though.

Valid point. I think my biggest contention in all of this is the campaign to sell the public on the daily struggle of big time college athletes. In my opinion it's simply not the case

VN Store

Back