Milton named starter

Heupel is an expert on QB play. Lots of our fans are apparently experts on watching BAD QB play. So they think that’s the same thing.

It’s entirely possible he was handed a flaming bag of crap at the QB position. His 3 most experienced QBs transferred, 2 of them before he was even named coach. He inherited Hooker, who was a better fit than “can’t miss” Bailey. With about zero QBs on the market, he grabs Milton on short notice. We can agree it hasn’t worked out for the whopping 6 quarters he’s played. But I give coach credit for trying to turn chicken crap into chicken salad. If there is someone who can turn this into something serviceable, it’s Heupel.

He's not turning anyone into anything during the season. He's not solving Milton's multi-year accuracy problems. He's not fixing Hooker's game-day anxiety issues. He's not catching Baily up from missing a spring and being coached by idiots his Freshman year. Not with 20 hours/week of team activities. The only option he has is to come up with a game plan that one of them can run effectively, and right now, in spite of his ball-security issues, that's Hooker.

Those 3 turnovers and Hooker choosing to hand the ball off on 4th and 1 hurt an awful lot. There is not an obvious, risk-free choice with any of the QBs.

If we'd scored when we had the opportunities in the first half, those mistakes would have been negligible considering the defense held them to 14 in the second half and we matched them.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
No kidding. My point is that HB is probably the most accurate passer of the 3. He doesn't have the wheels the other 2 have and im sure that's why he's riding the pine. I'd love if Milton could hit some deep throws. Otherwise Defenses sell out to stop the run.

I'm not sure he's the "accurate passer" that some have made him out to be. He threw it to Gilbert all through high school and people anointed him as some kind of football god. He's certainly not an effective passer right now because in actual games he's slow, takes too long to read the field, and doesn't have much of an arm. Hope he develops. He seems like he will be a contender for playing time in the future but he's going to have to fight Jackson for that. HB is a distant #3 right now. Doesn't deserve reps with the ones in 2021.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
Milton will be a fan favorite after throwing for 300+ With 4 total TDs, 2 of which are 40+ yards bombs for TDs.

🙃

Maybe someone should tell CJH that if we lose the rest of our games, we don’t get the #1 pick in the draft.

Hooker lovers, why do you think you know better than Heupel?

Neither qb can beat Fla, so why not hang with Milton another game or 2 to see if he can improve on the overthrows?

Don't say it's because Harbaugh couldn't do it, so Heupel can't do it. Jury is still out on that.

Depth Chart != Starter..... and never has.

Cooper Mays is listed at #1 Center on the depth chart, as he should be, but he's still a big ????? to start against FL because of injury.

BUT HE'S THE STARTER BECAUSE HE'S #1!!!!

Jeez, no he's not. He's the starter if he's deemed healthy enough to start by CJH and staff.

The same thing applies to Joe Milton.

What IS dishonest about the depth chart is showing the "OR" for Hendon Hooker and Harrison Bailey. Bailey is QB3.

Hooker started and played most of the game vs TN Tech and is CLEARLY QB2, edging up on QB1.

If Bailey DOESN'T know he's QB3 by now, his "between the ears" ability is nil.

They did...Everyday in practice...Now he's gone....But you already knew that right?
Yeah, I just figured if people were sure our 3rd stringer was the answer, we might as well go against all logic and hold out hope that the former fourth string who isn’t in Knoxville anymore was the answer

Hooker doesn't go into Swamp and win. We are a 5-6 win team with him at QB1 at best. If Milton gets right, we can win 8-9 game.
CJH is playing the long game, too. Hooker just has this year. Hopefully light comes on for Milton sooner than later.
I agree Milton has the most upside but I like Hooker as a solid option as well. But Hooker has 2 years. Anytime you think someone has x years just add 1 for COVID

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
It's the only aspect of his game that he does consistently well. SEC DCs will dare Heupel to try and rely on those throws alone and play close to the line and force him to throw long and more likely than not, errant.
If they play close to the line and try to jump those that’s when you pump and go. There’s always a counter to a play

I don't why he's listed that way, but everything I've seen indicates that HH has this year plus one more and JM has this year plus two more.
Just add one for everyone due to COVID. For example Bailey, Hyatt, Baron, Calloway, etc are all listed as a SO. However, since last year didn’t count against eligibility they all still have 4 years

Reactions: RhodesVol

VN Store

Back