Melanie Balcomb will interview....

I remember watching Melanie Balcomb vandy teams compete against Pat, and her teams were always well prepared, and gave UT fits at times.UT had much better talent than her and she aquitted herself very well. Can she recruit at a high level here,that is the question? I'm not trying to get her hired,just standing up for the lady and her coaching ability!!

I guess because Melanie Balcomb's record is 309-142:)

is that good? her last 3 years at Vandy she had a losing record in conference play. never got past the Sweet 16. seems like another Holly all over again.

Balcomb 309-142 (.685 winning percentage). Even lower overall (.658).

Holly was 172-67 (.720 winning percentage).

Pass on both. Especially if Gail G could be convinced, begged, cajoled. If I'm getting an experienced coach with a questionable record, I'm taking GG all the way over either.

Also, I haven't forgiven Balcomb for the horrible upset she engineered with Xavier prematurely ending the Meeks era. Only recently forgave Peck for the '99 season opening busting of our undefeated streak at Purdue and like her personality better than Balcomb, but man her record just stinks.
Gail couldn’t coach at Texas so why would anyone think she could do any better than Holly did at UT.

With the rumor of Phil talking to Carolyn Peck, since she was an assistant under Coach Gail G (USA Basketball), could he be talking to her as a reference or for info about GG. Or possibly gauging her interest in being an assistant to GG again. Just a thought.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Gail couldn’t coach at Texas so why would anyone think she could do any better than Holly did at UT.
She did an outstanding job at Duke. Gail was 396-99(.800 winning percentage) at Duke from 1992-1993 until 2006-2007 and was 179-55(.765 winning percentage) in the ACC during that time

With the rumor of Phil talking to Carolyn Peck, since she was an assistant under Coach Gail G (USA Basketball), could he be talking to her as a reference or for info about GG. Or possibly gauging her interest in being an assistant to GG again. Just a thought.

I've always liked Carolyn Peck as a commentator. No idea how she would do as Lady Vols head coach though.

...or possibly being an Associate Head Coach (with head coaching experience) to someone like Lawson or Ivey who don't have head coaching experience?

Let's be honest, has anyone been good at Florida in WBB?
Carol Ross was okay... it's a tough job for sure. There is no passion for women's basketball down there. Ross had a really good team in 1997 (actually beat Tennessee for the first time) and except for our game they couldn't halfway fill their arena. Still, Carolyn Peck was awful. She shouldn't be under consideration for the Tennessee job.

Reactions: miket4god
Yes, lets’s hire a coach that has quit her last three coaching jobs citing ‘stress’.

She’s the poster child of why you don’t pay big money to hire an ‘elite’ coach. After an very successful career at Duke, she failed miserably at Texas.

BTW, she quit her last coaching job with the Indiana Fever in 2015.

I have to say, with this unimpressive list of interviews we are seeing... Gail G is looking better and better. She might even could be another Rick Barnes? Wishful thinking... but you never know.

She’s the poster child of why you don’t pay big money to hire an ‘elite’ coach. After an very successful career at Duke, she failed miserably at Texas.

Failed miserably? Her record at Texas is more impressive than what KJH did at NC State, but let's just gloss over that fact... :rolleyes:

Reactions: cutiepie5
Let's be honest, has anyone been good at Florida in WBB?

Paula Walsh 29-14 at Florida

1974-1975 13-6
1975-1976 16-8 AIAW Region lll

Debbie Yow was 41-18 and 6-10 in the SEC at Florida

1983-1984 19-9
1984-1985 22-9 WNIT 2nd Place

Carol Ross was 247-121 and 84-62 in the SEC at Florida

1990-1991 17-11
1991-1992 15-13
1992-1993 19-10 NCAA Play In
1993-1994 22-7 NCAA 1st Round
1994-1995 24-9 NCAA 2nd Round
1995-1996 21-9 NCAA 1st Round
1996-1997 24-9 NCAA Elite 8
1997-1998 23-9 NCAA Sweet 16
1998-1999 19-14 NCAA 1st Round
1999-2000 21-13 WNIT Finals
2000-2001 24-6 NCAA 2nd Round
2001-2002 18-11 NCAA 1st Round

Last edited:
Hmmm...the job that she was paid $1.5 million a year to do....and she never made the Sweet Sixteen there like Kellie did this year for $250K.

She’s been out of coaching for three years and apparently prefers to stay that way.

Failed miserably? Her record at Texas is more impressive than what KJH did at NC State, but let's just gloss over that fact... :rolleyes:

Hmmm...the job that she was paid $1.5 million a year to do....and she never made the Sweet Sixteen there like Kellie did this year for $250K.

She’s been out of coaching for three years and apparently prefers to stay that way.

And if she doesn't prefer to stay that way, she is light years ahead of KJH as a candidate...

Yes, lets’s hire a coach that has quit her last three coaching jobs citing ‘stress’.
Well yeah, there's that. Should never hold a prospective hire's health against them but repeated bouts of overstress might be something to consider when hiring for an ultra high stress job. Could be argued that at least she's known to step away before things got out of hand.

So maybe GG is a short term (3 or 4 yrs) bridge coach who rights the ship and begins to restore glory before the real star hire takes the helm. I always thought GG was a pretty tough coach, and as I remember, not afraid to have strong and pointed conversations with players during games. She had a bit of an edge which I hated then, but kinda like now. I remember a GG interview the day after her Duke team pulled a monumental Regional tourney upset of the LVs in 99, rudely ending the careers of 3 time natty champs Chamique and KJH. GG said haughtily she didn't really consider it an upset at all, she kind of knew it all along. Took me years to forgive her! Truth is, back then, she was a very good coach.

Well yeah, there's that. Should never hold a prospective hire's health against them but repeated bouts of overstress might be something to consider when hiring for an ultra high stress job. Could be argued that at least she's known to step away before things got out of hand.

The Texas job was the only job she quit for "stress" wasn't it? Wasn't she going through a divorce at the time? I don't hold her departures from Duke or the WNBA against her at all...

The Texas job was the only job she quit for "stress" wasn't it? Wasn't she going through a divorce at the time? I don't hold her departures from Duke or the WNBA against her at all...
Poster I quoted seemed to think it was all 3 times, but I'm not sure. We've also heard she left Duke b/c they didn't care or offer incentive to stay when Texas came knocking, after she'd had Duke among the elite for a decade. Don't know much about Texas or WNBA. LOL I'm sure its all stressful!

VN Store

Back