Melanie Balcomb will interview....

Well yeah, there's that. Should never hold a prospective hire's health against them but repeated bouts of overstress might be something to consider when hiring for an ultra high stress job. Could be argued that at least she's known to step away before things got out of hand.

So maybe GG is a short term (3 or 4 yrs) bridge coach who rights the ship and begins to restore glory before the real star hire takes the helm. I always thought GG was a pretty tough coach, and as I remember, not afraid to have strong and pointed conversations with players during games. She had a bit of an edge which I hated then, but kinda like now. I remember a GG interview the day after her Duke team pulled a monumental Regional tourney upset of the LVs in 99, rudely ending the careers of 3 time natty champs Chamique and KJH. GG said haughtily she didn't really consider it an upset at all, she kind of knew it all along. Took me years to forgive her! Truth is, back then, she was a very good coach.

Truth is, the refs threw that game, home cooking. If Semeka had been healthy, even the refs couldn’t have won that game for her. Pat had said she didn’t want to go to that region (Mique did); Pat knew what was what. I was there; still have the foul taste in my mouth. I don’t defend many hills, but that one I will.

I hold a grudge against for the game the LVs played at Duke right after the story broke that Alexis Hornbuckle had been arrested for shoplifting and the Cameron crazies harrased her to a level that crossed the line; after that game, Gail G. saluted the crowd crowd and bowed in appreciation. CPS was not too happy from a NYT story:

Summitt had said earlier that she would consider canceling the Duke series because of taunts directed at Hornbuckle. During a Duke victory at Cameron in 2006, Hornbuckle was serenaded with chants of “Wal-Mart,” a reference to a shoplifting arrest when she was in high school. The chants returned Monday night and Hornbuckle finished with 6 points. But Hornbuckle made four free throws in the second half and blew the Cameron student section a kiss. “I didn’t hear it,” Summitt said of the chants, without further mentioning canceling the series. “The main thing is, I want to protect these student-athletes. They are students and they’re athletes and they’re representing the university. Get on the coach all you want to. Just don’t harass the players.”

All that aside, she could not replicate her success at Duke, has not been able to handle stress and has apparently not signaled any interest in the job; so, she is the pie-in-the-sky candidate and I think it is just as well.
Good crowd. Boo freaking whoo. They should have done that. Don't steal then.

Good crowd. Boo freaking whoo. They should have done that. Don't steal then.

Aren't you a sweetheart? You realize that these are student athletes not professionals. At high school games, fans are instructed to represent their school well and display good sportsmanship. I guess you think idea should go out the window when players get to college.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Truth is, the refs threw that game, home cooking. If Semeka had been healthy, even the refs couldn’t have won that game for her. Pat had said she didn’t want to go to that region (Mique did); Pat knew what was what. I was there; still have the foul taste in my mouth. I don’t defend many hills, but that one I will.

Smallvol,always enjoy your posts. That game is still a burr under my saddle,even twenty years later. Lady Vols were treated to an official beat up with very few calls made against perpetrators. I honestly feel that even now,Chamique probably has bruises remaining from that game. Never before that,nor since that point,have I seen a star player be beaten up with no calls made. Still steaming after all these years. Hey,could that be a song title?

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Gail Goestenkors is not going to be our coach, or anyone else’s, for a long time...

P.S. If you care so much, how many LVBB games have you attended in the last two seasons?

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I went to a couple games last year.

I used to attend games regularly. You know, before Holly destroyed the program.

Smallvol,always enjoy your posts. That game is still a burr under my saddle,even twenty years later. Lady Vols were treated to an official beat up with very few calls made against perpetrators. I honestly feel that even now,Chamique probably has bruises remaining from that game. Never before that,nor since that point,have I seen a star player be beaten up with no calls made. Still steaming after all these years. Hey,could that be a song title?

@Benionsopinion, one game I will never forget; Mique crying in Pat’s arms afterwards. If you get beat (better team or even lucky day) you get beat, it hurts. When you have a game stolen, different pain.

I will say, what that disgusting thing at Louisville did to Griner was about as bad. Only difference is Griner was not, imo, the class act Mique was. Still made me see red that the refs allowed both the play and the mouth! She did not deserve that.

You write the music and I’ll do the lyrics👍😂.

How is your wife? I still pray for both of you every day.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Pass on both. Especially if Gail G could be convinced, begged, cajoled. If I'm getting an experienced coach with a questionable record, I'm taking GG all the way over either.

Also, I haven't forgiven Balcomb for the horrible upset she engineered with Xavier prematurely ending the Meeks era. Only recently forgave Peck for the '99 season opening busting of our undefeated streak at Purdue and like her personality better than Balcomb, but man her record just stinks.
I had posted last week that Gail Goestenkors was a good, no nonsense gal who was great at what she did. Duke hasn't been the same since she left. She didn't have that much luck at Texas but I think I would like to hear that she could be talked to.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
I've always liked Carolyn Peck as a commentator. No idea how she would do as Lady Vols head coach though.
There was one year when Carolyn was coaching at Florida and said, "I think we have enough to beat Tennessee." Pat replied, "Careful what you wish for." Florida won and I think it was by 1 or 2 points.

Reactions: cutiepie5
@Benionsopinion, one game I will never forget; Mique crying in Pat’s arms afterwards. If you get beat (better team or even lucky day) you get beat, it hurts. When you have a game stolen, different pain.

I will say, what that disgusting thing at Louisville did to Griner was about as bad. Only difference is Griner was not, imo, the class act Mique was. Still made me see red that the refs allowed both the play and the mouth! She did not deserve that.

You write the music and I’ll do the lyrics👍😂.

How is your wife? I still pray for both of you every day.

Thank you,Smallvol, for your kindness and prayers. She is doing well,still periodic checks for any more markers.

I believe the music could be stolen from Paul Simon or Billy Joel,can't remember which,so you assigned yourself the hard part.

I hope you and your family are well. Any news from GovernmentMule?

Thank you,Smallvol, for your kindness and prayers. She is doing well,still periodic checks for any more markers.

I believe the music could be stolen from Paul Simon or Billy Joel,can't remember which,so you assigned yourself the hard part.

I hope you and your family are well. Any news from GovernmentMule?

@Benionsopinion, not since 12/5. He had some really serious stuff coming up but was pretty much his usual self. I’ve not heard from him since. He has not answered my emails and in the last one I told him I was worried sick and if he could, to just hit return. No reply. He was always very good to answer me, even during his rough patches, might take a while, but he always did. So I fear. Pray for him daily too, for his comfort and ease if he is still with us and thanks for his salvation if he isn’t. Must admit, it preys on my mind that he might need one of us but is unable to communicate that need.

Reactions: Benionsopinion

VN Store

Back