Melanie Balcomb will interview....

Yes, lets’s hire a coach that has quit her last three coaching jobs citing ‘stress’.

She’s the poster child of why you don’t pay big money to hire an ‘elite’ coach. After an very successful career at Duke, she failed miserably at Texas.

BTW, she quit her last coaching job with the Indiana Fever in 2015.

You keep saying this over and over yet you keep trying to cram Harper down our throats.

Give it a rest.

The Texas job was the only job she quit for "stress" wasn't it? Wasn't she going through a divorce at the time? I don't hold her departures from Duke or the WNBA against her at all...

Yes, and the stress was due to the bullcrap she put up with from the Texas administration. Similar factors that Kellie put up with at NC State (which she gets a pass on because she's a LV alum and Gail doesn't).

WNBA coaches switch jobs all the time. She was with the Sparks in 2014 under Carol Ross and with the Fever in 2015 under Stephanie White and hasn't coached since. And Duke should be ashamed at how they treated Gail. They had gotten to the NC game in 2006 and were the best team for most of 2007, and Duke was like "see ya" when Texas came calling. They didn't fight to keep her at all. And their program has completely fallen off the map. McCallie never did a whole heckuva lot with the roster Gail left behind, but when her players ran out their program really started to tank.

No telling if GG even wants to be a coach again, TBH, let alone be a head coach at program this big. She would undoubtedly be in a much better scenario at Tennessee than she was at Texas (or Duke for that matter). I do wonder if being out of coaching for the last few years might have put everything into perspective. You just don't know. She could know now more than ever that she doesn't want to coach again (she's always done well as a broadcaster), or it could've lit a fire back under her. I think Peck was out of coaching for several years before her recent (temporary) stint at Vanderbilt.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Gail Goestenkors is not going to be our coach, or anyone else’s, for a long time...

P.S. If you care so much, how many LVBB games have you attended in the last two seasons?

You keep saying this over and over yet you keep trying to cram Harper down our throats.

Give it a rest.

The Texas job was the only job she quit for "stress" wasn't it? Wasn't she going through a divorce at the time? I don't hold her departures from Duke or the WNBA against her at all...
Nope, she left the Indiana Fever post for reasons of stress as well.

Well yeah, there's that. Should never hold a prospective hire's health against them but repeated bouts of overstress might be something to consider when hiring for an ultra high stress job. Could be argued that at least she's known to step away before things got out of hand.

So maybe GG is a short term (3 or 4 yrs) bridge coach who rights the ship and begins to restore glory before the real star hire takes the helm. I always thought GG was a pretty tough coach, and as I remember, not afraid to have strong and pointed conversations with players during games. She had a bit of an edge which I hated then, but kinda like now. I remember a GG interview the day after her Duke team pulled a monumental Regional tourney upset of the LVs in 99, rudely ending the careers of 3 time natty champs Chamique and KJH. GG said haughtily she didn't really consider it an upset at all, she kind of knew it all along. Took me years to forgive her! Truth is, back then, she was a very good coach.

I hold a grudge against for the game the LVs played at Duke right after the story broke that Alexis Hornbuckle had been arrested for shoplifting and the Cameron crazies harrased her to a level that crossed the line; after that game, Gail G. saluted the crowd crowd and bowed in appreciation. CPS was not too happy from a NYT story:

Summitt had said earlier that she would consider canceling the Duke series because of taunts directed at Hornbuckle. During a Duke victory at Cameron in 2006, Hornbuckle was serenaded with chants of “Wal-Mart,” a reference to a shoplifting arrest when she was in high school. The chants returned Monday night and Hornbuckle finished with 6 points. But Hornbuckle made four free throws in the second half and blew the Cameron student section a kiss. “I didn’t hear it,” Summitt said of the chants, without further mentioning canceling the series. “The main thing is, I want to protect these student-athletes. They are students and they’re athletes and they’re representing the university. Get on the coach all you want to. Just don’t harass the players.”

All that aside, she could not replicate her success at Duke, has not been able to handle stress and has apparently not signaled any interest in the job; so, she is the pie-in-the-sky candidate and I think it is just as well.

Just No! This is just getting really dumb. I am beginning to think we should have just kept Holly if this is the best we can do. Just let Bridget Gordon have it. I can not believe some of the coaches you guys are arguing over. This is Tennessee, and I want a coach worthy of being here.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Cori Close of UCLA would be a good candidate for the LV HC job. Did anyone watch UCLA during the victories over UT and Maryland? Also, the 8 point loss to UCONN? She had her team well prepared.
Yes and I've also seen UCLA play at least 70 times since Close has been there.

Just No! This is just getting really dumb. I am beginning to think we should have just kept Holly if this is the best we can do. Just let Bridget Gordon have it. I can not believe some of the coaches you guys are arguing over. This is Tennessee, and I want a coach worthy of being here.
Similar panic to the OC hire. 😏

I can't figure out why a player would rather play for her than Pat?

Lol. They wouldn’t. Both were VERY interested. UT overlooked both Sha Brooks and LaToya Bullard that year, both highly rated guards...one who was recruited by just about everybody from Demoss at Kentucky to Landers at Georgia and Gail at Duke. Nikki Caldwell didn’t recruit them and instead went hard after the girl we got from Georgia who rode the pine then transferred (can’t remember Her name...Moss maybe?)

Either would’ve helped when Wiley-Gatewood transferred but we still won, so...

No, Balcomb. There was too much behind the scene stuff at Vandy that we want no part of.

What happened at Vandy? I have heard people say things but you ask them and they will never tell. Someone spill. She has a great recruiting ability and great offensive mind. She knows shooters but never could get big girls to Vandy. Gail got great players to Duke because girls just wanted Duke due to name only.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
What happened at Vandy? I have heard people say things but you ask them and they will never tell. Someone spill. She has a great recruiting ability and great offensive mind. She knows shooters but never could get big girls to Vandy. Gail got great players to Duke because girls just wanted Duke due to name only.
I am not going to tell specifics, but in the end the situation with the team was very toxic. It was way worse than it has been here. A close friend was around the team at that time so I don't want to out them. Let's just say I strongly prefer we don't hire her.

Melanie has more wins than any active SEC Coach other than Gary Blair... And if I remember correctly, which I believe I do, Pat recommended her for the Vanderbilt job.
Pat did give her a recommendation for that job. Melanie sure gave us lists is scares in Nashville and Knoxville also. Won c
Several SEC games also. Give her this group of lady Vols and she would have won 23 or more games. JMO

Pat did give her a recommendation for that job. Melanie sure gave us lists is scares in Nashville and Knoxville also. Won c
Several SEC games also. Give her this group of lady Vols and she would have won 23 or more games. JMO
Vanderbilt coached by Melanie Balcomb beat LSU coached by Pokey Chatman 51-45 to win the SEC Women's Basketball Tournament in 2007.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Lol. They wouldn’t. Both were VERY interested. UT overlooked both Sha Brooks and LaToya Bullard that year, both highly rated guards...one who was recruited by just about everybody from Demoss at Kentucky to Landers at Georgia and Gail at Duke. Nikki Caldwell didn’t recruit them and instead went hard after the girl we got from Georgia who rode the pine then transferred (can’t remember Her name...Moss maybe?)

Either would’ve helped when Wiley-Gatewood transferred but we still won, so...
Carla Thomas was a darn good player for Vanderbilt also and so was Christina Wirth.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Listen my fellow rednecks, the interview process kinda goes like this...

line up 5+ candidates and learn lots during said interviews. these could setup future opportunities for the staff that will be put together.

freakout if you must but this is a process

VN Store

Back