Meachem Going Pro . ? (Merged)

These kids don't understand what a degree will get ya in this world. Just a piece of paper can do wonders. Now it won't help you make millions, but in a NFL league where you ARE NOT guaranteed not to get hurt its a good cushion for the fall. Meachem has had injury problem since he got here at UT and for him to go just for fear of getting hurt is ridiculous. I don't believe that's the only reason he is going (his daughter is the biggest), but why not stay in school 1 MORE YEAR to finish up something that you will NEED when your career in the NFL is done. Maybe he will finish his degree once he gets in the NFL, I don't know. One thing is for sure though, if you look at all the people who didn't make it at least 4 years and was an underclassmen, they are stuggling to make ends meet especially if they are a 2nd-3rd round pick. I just hope that he understands that, and as a Christian I hope that he doesn't let the $$$ cloud his judgment.

You make it sound like this will be the very last chance he will ever have of getting his degree. He's what... 22 years old? I'm sure that even if he is drafted in the second or third round, if he wanted to go back to school and finish up one more year or so, he could afford it. C'mon... lets lay off of the snctimonious outrage for a minute and congratulate the guy. His stock will not get any higher than it is right now.

good luck to meach, i would have done the same thing to if I were him. who is ainge going to throw 2 nxt year, we lost our top 3 recievers....ouch:eek:hmy:

Meachem should have stayed and become a native son and UT legend, now he is just another that left us early. He would have been a top 10 pick next season. One good season and bolting for the No Fun League. I don't get it. Can't these athletes get like a couple million dollar insurance policy to cover them when they come back so they will be set if something does happen? The main problem I have is he said he hasn't even thought about it. 2 days after the bowl and the decision is made. I think he has known since earlier in the season. Good luck to Meachem, but I don't like the decision. We are going to be hurting at WR next season.
Is Jason Whitten a native son and UT legend?

Your last sentence is the real reason why you want Meachem to stay, and frankly, ythat is selfish thinking. The guy cam here and played 4 years (redshirted one year) and he's pd his dues.

Is Jason Whitten a native son and UT legend?

Your last sentence is the real reason why you want Meachem to stay, and frankly, ythat is selfish thinking. The guy cam here and played 4 years (redshirted one year) and he's pd his dues.

If you can't spell the damn player's name, then no, he's not a UT legend.

These kids don't understand what a degree will get ya in this world. Just a piece of paper can do wonders. Now it won't help you make millions, but in a NFL league where you ARE NOT guaranteed not to get hurt its a good cushion for the fall. Meachem has had injury problem since he got here at UT and for him to go just for fear of getting hurt is ridiculous. I don't believe that's the only reason he is going (his daughter is the biggest), but why not stay in school 1 MORE YEAR to finish up something that you will NEED when your career in the NFL is done. Maybe he will finish his degree once he gets in the NFL, I don't know. One thing is for sure though, if you look at all the people who didn't make it at least 4 years and was an underclassmen, they are stuggling to make ends meet especially if they are a 2nd-3rd round pick. I just hope that he understands that, and as a Christian I hope that he doesn't let the $$$ cloud his judgment.
Wow, I didn't realize UT was going out of business. I guess, from the tone of your post, the University will cease to operate after next season. That's tragic. I guess Meach will have to choose one among the other thousands of universities to finish his degree if he wishes.

If you can't spell the damn player's name, then no, he's not a UT legend.
Whatever...
I don't see this as being a tough choice for Meachem. He wasn't going to have a street named after him next year, we weren't going to the NC next year. He's probably not gonna have the same sucess as this year just because of the lack of experienced receivers surrounding him.

Whatever...
I don't see this as being a tough choice for Meachem. He wasn't going to have a street named after him next year, we weren't going to the NC next year. He's probably not gonna have the same sucess as this year just because of the lack of experienced receivers surrounding him.

I agree 100%.

again.... meachem has a family. most notably a young daughter that he needs to support. he's not as fortunuate as peyton manning who was loaded when he came in. can't fault anyone for supporting his family. go get 'em meach

In response to an earlier post where you asked me what my point was . . . You just made it.

In response to an earlier post where you asked me what my point was . . . You just made it.

i thought that was your point, just wasn't sure if you were aiming at me. I doubt there are many if any on this board that clear as much as k. washington does a year as a #4 WR. plus who's to say meachem isn't going to actually "make it". i don't understand why all these people think he's going to learn so much more at UT than he would on an NFL team.

i thought that was your point, just wasn't sure if you were aiming at me. I doubt there are many if any on this board that clear as much as k. washington does a year as a #4 WR. plus who's to say meachem isn't going to actually "make it". i don't understand why all these people think he's going to learn so much more at UT than he would on an NFL team.

Meachem will make a team and be able to support his family. A degree will not get him the amount of money he can make this next season. Heck, lets sasy he started at 50 grand a year leaving school... he would have to work 8 years to catch up to one year of "The Future's" salary as a bench warmer...

Some of them genuinely believe he could have served himself well by coming back for another year to improve his draft position, but a lot of them are just selfish and are just mad that Meachem has dared to decide to go get paid rather than stick around for their personal enjoyment for free.

Some of them genuinely believe he could have served himself well by coming back for another year to improve his draft position, but a lot of them are just selfish and are just mad that Meachem has dared to decide to go get paid rather than stick around for their personal enjoyment for free.

yeah. i understand. so he doesn't make bank this year or next. He signs a 3 year deal making good money, shows that he's a star and makes the megabucks. I want him back in orange, don't get me wrong. But no way would i come back if i was in his shoes.

That is the truth. They mask their pseudo-concern for his draft status/career with their selfishness to have him play on Saturdays for busfare. And yes, I'm calling tuition, room/board, meal plan at UT chump change.

Congrats Meacham, wish you and your family the best. Wish you could have stayed one more year, but we understand and appreciate what you did for the team this year.

Meach is projected as a 1st rounder!!!!!!! He will be drafted in the 1st round unless he tanks in the combine.

Didn't see a thread about this yet, so I thought I would start one. Meachem is gone to the NFL.:cray: God Bless and Good Luck!!! You will be missed.

If there is another thread about this, my bad.

Good luck to Meach if he runs a 4.3 forty he is a top 15-20 pick he has the size and speed the NFL is looking for. One weakness he had was his blocking which he has improved. Should make some NFL team very proud

VN Store

Back