Meachem Going Pro . ? (Merged)

Wow, I didn't realize UT was going out of business. I guess, from the tone of your post, the University will cease to operate after next season. That's tragic. I guess Meach will have to choose one among the other thousands of universities to finish his degree if he wishes.

Where is the NFL going??? No where. Where is the possible millions he makes his first 3 years if he stays going??? Out the window. He could be one of the all-time college greats if he stays, but that doesn't matter to these kids anymore. I KNOW he has a daughter, but that's not the only reason to leave. I know that he would have been a Top 10 pick next year if he would have stayed, but he's afraid of getting hurt. Well I hate to inform him of this but you can end your career in training camp. I just wish that a commitment to the school you choose out of high school meant more, that's all. He deserves every opportunity to support his family, and that's a BIG PROBLEM with part of the NCAA I have as well. He's doing it for that reason and that's cool with me. I just don't think that him being a one-hit wonder even though he broke the single-season yardage record means much if you don't try and back it up. He's had one good year and if he thinks that will help his draft stock, then hey go for it. I Love Robert Meachem as a receiver, BUT he is NOT one of the All-time greats we have had here at UT. At least not IMO.

Where is the NFL going??? No where. Where is the possible millions he makes his first 3 years if he stays going??? Out the window. He could be one of the all-time college greats if he stays, but that doesn't matter to these kids anymore. I KNOW he has a daughter, but that's not the only reason to leave. I know that he would have been a Top 10 pick next year if he would have stayed, but he's afraid of getting hurt. Well I hate to inform him of this but you can end your career in training camp. I just wish that a commitment to the school you choose out of high school meant more, that's all. He deserves every opportunity to support his family, and that's a BIG PROBLEM with part of the NCAA I have as well. He's doing it for that reason and that's cool with me. I just don't think that him being a one-hit wonder even though he broke the single-season yardage record means much if you don't try and back it up. He's had one good year and if he thinks that will help his draft stock, then hey go for it. I Love Robert Meachem as a receiver, BUT he is NOT one of the All-time greats we have had here at UT. At least not IMO.

You sound bitter.:unsure:

You sound bitter.:unsure:

Not at all, I wish him the best. Its just he made a commitment like everyone else that came to UT to play football, but he leaves so that commitment is null-n-void. I just wish that he could have came back to prove to himself, the fans, and the draft scouts that he's no fluke. He won't be able to prove that now, but I do wish him the best. We do have a bright future at WR so I'm not that worried about it. Its just the principle of things. Kids have one good year, and the bolt for the NFL for whatever reasons.

Not at all, I wish him the best. Its just he made a commitment like everyone else that came to UT to play football, but he leaves so that commitment is null-n-void. I just wish that he could have came back to prove to himself, the fans, and the draft scouts that he's no fluke. He won't be able to prove that now, but I do wish him the best. We do have a bright future at WR so I'm not that worried about it. Its just the principle of things. Kids have one good year, and the bolt for the NFL for whatever reasons.

you can not be serious. Meachem more than paid his dues at UT. Just because he decides to leave a year early because he has nothing to gain next year does not make his commitment "null-n-void". He would constantly be the focus of attention and there's no way he can match these stats. I'm not calling him a fluke by any means. but with the receivers we have or that are coming in, there's going to be a huge learning curve and Meachem will only suffer while these guys learn the system. Do you think Witten's commitment was null-n-void as well for taking his money?

He fulfilled his commitment. He played football this past season.

And for whatever reasons? C'mon... he left for a bigger better opportunity to get paid. That is why he left. How can you fault the guy? He doesn't owe you, me, Fulmer, or the university anything else.

Then let's handout 3 season scholly's. If these guys want to make money, then no-one should be against us saving some money.

.....very bitter indeed.

How can anyone be dissapointed in him for leaving. It's what he's worked, sweat and bled for. No matter what you "believe", Playing for Tennessee is not the "end-all/be all" for all of these players. Being a Tennessee legend doesn't pay the bills.

They can't all be like Peyton.

.....very bitter indeed.

How can anyone be dissapointed in him for leaving. It's what he's worked, sweat and bled for. No matter what you "believe", Playing for Tennessee is not the "end-all/be all" for all of these players. Being a Tennessee legend doesn't pay the bills.

Or Jason Allen or Justin Harrell.

.....very bitter indeed.

He's not even a legend though. He had two seasons with under 30 catches and one season he tore it up. That's doesn't make him a legend IMO. I have stated in many replies on here that I wish him well. Can you guys not read or something??? I mean come on, read the whole thing guys.

Or Jason Allen or Justin Harrell.

yeah... they just didn't have simple injuries like a nagging hamstring or a pull. Seing the "potential pro" seniors on your team dislocate their hip and tear their bicep respectively, in consecutive years could make anyone a little leery abut staying that last year.

Athletic scholarships are not four year agreements... you are wrong.

Not agreements, but commitments. They can't make them sign a contract, but they make them Sign a Letter of Intent to play at UT. Its a 4 year offer and you commit to it. That doesn't mean you can't leave at the end of your Junior season, which the NFL draft by-laws allow you to do. I am just saying I want players to play out their commitments THAT'S ALL. Can you guys live with that, our do I have to explain it in other terms???

Not agreements, but commitments. They can't make them sign a contract, but they make them Sign a Letter of Intent to play at UT. Its a 4 year offer and you commit to it. That doesn't mean you can't leave at the end of your Junior season, which the NFL draft by-laws allow you to do. I am just saying I want players to play out their commitments THAT'S ALL. Can you guys live with that, our do I have to explain it in other terms???
Most players do live out their commitment. Probably 90% of them do (with the exception of those that are expelled or transfered).

We had star 3 seniors in the past 2 years come back to play for us. 2 of them had season ending (and in Allen's case career threatening) injuries. Aaron Sears was pretty healthy this year.

Meachem has been here 4 years. He doesn't owe us anything. He's fulfilled his commitment.

Most players do live out their commitment. Probably 90% of them do (with the exception of those that are expelled or transfered).

We had star 3 seniors in the past 2 years come back to play for us. 2 of them had season ending (and in Allen's case career threatening) injuries. Aaron Sears was pretty healthy this year.

Meachem has been here 4 years. He doesn't owe us anything. He's fulfilled his commitment.

Here ya go, read this and then tell me if you still think that most football players stay 4 years and GRADUATE...I read this and this is VERY disturbing for black student athletes...

CNNSI.com - SI Online - Mike Fish - Straight Shooting - CNNSI.com's Mike Fish: Graduation rates a joke - Tuesday October 01, 2002 02:10 PM

The commitment is an EDUCATION!!! You go to school, play sports, and graduate. Its not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Players get scholarships ripped all the time... even if they are good students. If they don't produce on the court/field, they are told by the coach that they will not have a role on the team the following season and are asked to either fransfer or find some other way to finance their education.

Why heck... even coaches at Tennessee do it. :yes:

Meachem has been here 4 years.

VN Store

Back