Maybe Rick Barnes can hire Cuonzo Martin as an assist

I would take a Frank Martin situation.

A Final Four is Tennessee’s white whale, and it’s truly astounding that this school never found a way to make one. That being said, overall, a Final Four isn’t that big of a deal; making one would be fun for the players and fan base but, as you pointed out, George Mason/VCU/South Carolina (not to mention Washington State, Georgia, Penn State and more) have made a trip to the Final Four.

Would you really trade Tennessee’s present program to have one Final Four yet be in their shoes right now?

A Final Four is Tennessee’s white whale, and it’s truly astounding that this school never found a way to make one. That being said, overall, a Final Four isn’t that big of a deal; making one would be fun for the players and fan base but, as you pointed out, George Mason/VCU/South Carolina (not to mention Washington State, Georgia, Penn State and more) have made a trip to the Final Four.

Would you really trade Tennessee’s present program to have one Final Four yet be in their shoes right now?

Yes!!!. Look at Wikipedia, schools are rated based on Final Four/Elite Eight/Sweet 16 appearances. Hell, I had a MCBB EA Sports games and the only stats shown were Final Fours, Conference Championships, and National Championships.

No one cares about the other stuff. Literally, 50% of the people I know do not even watch MCBB until the tournament. It is the sport. We fail in the spot light.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
He was the only coach at Tennessee who made the post season and actually made a run. He was a bad call away from making the Elite 8 in his last season here.

Pearl and Cuonzo won 3 straight in the post season. Only one TN coach has EVER won 4 straight in the post season. It happened in 2022.

I know a lot of people like that, not to mention myriad similar posters on this forum, and they are simply not individuals with whom I’m likely to have a serious conversation about college basketball.

You just quoted one of them.

It is a win-win.

Cuonzo was always good in postseason but terrible regular season coach

Barnes is a great regular season coach but terrible postseason coach.

Since when? All 3 of his NCAAT wins happened in that one year. And since that year, he's made the NCAAT 3 times out of 7 years (not counting 2020 but had the NCAAT happened he wouldn't have made it). In 2015 Cal was a 4 seed and he lost to #13 seed Hawaii, at Mizzou his 2 trips he was a #8 seed and a #9 seed and lost both.

If that's "good" to you then you have no business saying Barnes is "terrible" in the postseason because compared to Martin he's Coach K.

Or win one if you are Kentucky

Now you gave me an idea. Let UK hire Cuonzo as an assistant.
Not only would they start scoring fewer points, but Cal would have someone watching over his "honesty".

Now that gave me a better idea... let Memphis get rid of Penny and hire Cuonzo. He might finally succeed over time there.
Nah.

I understand one-time deals but Tennessee has failed to make a run in over 100 years of basketball. Even schools like George Mason, VCU, South Carolina, etc. have made runs.

I am not saying fire Barnes, I just think we need to shake some things up.
He should hire Peyton, to run the offensive sets, imo.
GBO!!

Reactions: DuckInAPen
He was the only coach at Tennessee who made the post season and actually made a run. He was a bad call away from making the Elite 8 in his last season here.

He won a play-in game against an 11 seed in OT, then beat an average UMass team, then Mercer. He got a lot of luck.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
It is a win-win.

I guess you want to focus more on the Defense because it is not keeping up with the offense.

We need seasoning, adjustments on offense, not Cuonzo.

Let the development take place in the off season, build on what we got, change will happen and we have no idea what next year's roster will look like at this point.

Who Stays, who leaves, and who we add.

My guess we will not have to reformat but reboot.

I guess you want to focus more on the Defense because it is not keeping up with the offense.

We need seasoning, adjustments on offense, not Cuonzo.

Let the development take place in the off season, build on what we got, change will happen and we have no idea what next year's roster will look like at this point.

Who Stays, who leaves, and who we add.

My guess we will not have to reformat but reboot.

On one hand, we do need an offensive improvement. On the other, we’re replacing our defensive guru, so maybe we need another. It’ll be interesting to see which direction he goes.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
It is a win-win.

Have you not considered how impossibly difficult that reunion would be given how Martin exited this program? Interviewing at Cal on Tennessee's dime. Crying racism and turning his own team on the fanbase.

I'd put Pearl's chances of returning higher than Cuonzo's and I have Pearl's chances at about -30%.

Have you not considered how impossibly difficult that reunion would be given how Martin exited this program? Interviewing at Cal on Tennessee's dime. Crying racism and turning his own team on the fanbase.

I'd put Pearl's chances of returning higher than Cuonzo's and I have Pearl's chances at about -30%.

Honestly, both are 0%. Never gonna happen and that is okay.

Maybe coach K would make a good analyst for Barnes. I hear he’s gonna have a lot of free time next season.🤷‍♂️

These threads...🤦‍♂️
GBO!!

VN Store

Back