Maybe Rick Barnes can hire Cuonzo Martin as an assist

The discussion generally seems to be the quality of each coach's three-game run (Pearl's 3-game run to the Elite 8 versus Martin's 3-game run to the Sweet 16), no? I wasn't implying a S16 was better than an E8. Obviously it's not.

I just suggested that Houston's run through the 1991 SECT was far more unlikely; and, therefore, the more impressive three-game post-season run.

I'm just having fun. Carry on.

I suggested that Cuonzo’s Sweet 16 run was probably as good or better than Bruce’s Sweet 16s since he had to win 3. I never suggested that Cuonzo’s 3 equates with Bruce’s 3 other than adding up their win totals. Devoe won 3 straight in the 1985 NIT. Wade won 3 straight in that SECT. Bruce won 3 straight in 2010. Cuonzo won 3 straight to his S16. Barnes just won 4 straight. No other TN coach has 4. Devoe has 4 of 5 in 1985 counting the consolation win over Louisville. Maybe Johnny Mauer made some hay in the 1940s.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Wrong.

Pearl went to the Elite 8 at Tennessee.

He fell flat many times too though.

2006 as 2 seed bowed out in 2nd game
2007 had big lead against Ohio State that we blew
2008 got crushed by Louisville as 2 seed
2009 lost to Oklahoma State in first round
2010 Elite 8 run as 6 seed. Definitely our BEST post season performance
2011 Lost big time to Michigan but there was distractions with Pearl getting fired

I would say Pearl was a very good post season coach but 2006 and 2008 were kind of flops. I do think with 2006, our team was wore out and wasn't playing good in post season and we were over seeded while in 2008, we got a very good #3 seed but that is the nature of the tournament, we have to beat GOOD teams and we never seem to do that very often.

Even when we make runs, it is usually taking advantage of having the higher seeds get upset. Even in the Elite 8 run, we had the advantage in the second game of playing a 14 seed instead of the 3 seed.

I don't see how the Vols fans on here don't get frustrated with Tennessee Athletics like I do. We have some very embarrassing stats that is hard to justify:

1. Not making Final Four ever despite going to tournament more than a lot of programs
2. Only beating Florida in Football 1 time in the last 18 tries (I think even UK and Vandy have been better against Florida than Tennessee)
3. Not beating Alabama in over 16 years

Etc.

It does get old and frustrating. My biggest issue in both Men's Basketball and Football is that we RARELY ever beat a team higher ranked than us and then we also VERY OFTEN lose to teams that are lower ranked than us. We don't win or do well when the spot light is on the program. For example in Football, I would be curious to see Tennessee's records for games played on CBS and ESPN over the last 20 years.

Similar is Tennessee's situation in the tournament. I would like to see Tennessee's record against higher seeds. Do we ever beat a higher seed? I think Ohio State in 2010 might be the only example in our program history. We also lose very often to lower seeds. I imagine we have more losses against lower seeds than wins against higher seeds.

Reactions: FranklinVol16
I do think we are turning things around.

Danny White has been the best AD that we have had in a long time and Heupel has us doing well in Football now. I am just venting frustration.

TN is rarely a very low (high? 9-16) seed, so beating a better seed doesn’t have a lot of opportunities. If seeded 9th-16th, then every game will likely be an opportunity to beat a higher (better) seed and avoid losing to a lower seed. It’s really just the math for where TN typically falls as a program. The higher seeds are usually VERY good teams.

Does anybody have a list of TN’s dozen and a half or so seeds? The first few NCAATs that TN was in did not seed the field. Even the 2x Ralph Sampson games may not have been seeded (and if they were, those were a couple of very unfortunate draws).

TN is rarely a very low (high? 9-16) seed, so beating a better seed doesn’t have a lot of opportunities. If seeded 9th-16th, then every game will likely be an opportunity to beat a higher (better) seed and avoid losing to a lower seed. It’s really just the math for where TN typically falls as a program. The higher seeds are usually VERY good teams.

Does anybody have a list of TN’s dozen and a half or so seeds? The first few NCAATs that TN was in did not seed the field. Even the 2x Ralph Sampson games may not have been seeded (and if they were, those were a couple of very unfortunate draws).
Conversely, we’ve lost 10 times to lower seeded teams.

Conversely, we’ve lost 10 times to lower seeded teams.

I think that part of that is TN isn’t used to being a real high seed. Their opponents are highly motivated to knock off a higher seed while TN plays tight versus those games’ underdogs. Michigan was obviously better than their seed, but their crappy record meant they got a lower seed. They should have been a 15 facing Duke in the first round. Yea, that’s not going to happen.

If TN had been mostly seeding 9-12 they could have piled up some good data versus “seeds”. I’m not so concerned with the seeds rather than the resulting matchups. TN seems snake bit there.

VN Store

Back