Like him or not, Kiffin is spot on…

I hate the current state of CFB. The transfer portal, Saban's no-end-in-sight dominance, a 2 game playoff along with meaningless bowl games, and continuous conference realignment. It's like the inmates are running the asylum.

I agree with most of what you are saying. However I disagree with the "meaningless" statement. Bowl games, for the most part have never had any meaning other than the "joy" for being able to play in one or watch as a fan and enjoy the spirit of just playing and competing and bragging as fans have done before most every bowl game ever played. No ask anyone, fan or true "lover of the game player" how it feels to miss out on a bowl. For me as a fan it ant fun. There is hole in my late/early year fun. A case in point is the most recent Army-Navy game. This game is as big a bowl game as any rose bowl has ever been. Call it rivalry, whatever, but as it is somewhat rare that these two schools get to a real bowl, this is theirs and it is watched by the fans of the sport of college ball all over the country as such.

I have faith...unfounded as it is... that the NCAA will figure it out and restrict the ability to transfer. They will see it's not good for the sports. Kids will still be able to get paid....but this transfer craziness will be curtailed for the good of college sports. It's just a bad thing that will get "fixed" going forward. Imo.

Whether he is right or wrong is immaterial to me. At least to me, after what he did to this program, and his snarky persona equals a total lack of respect. And that complete lack of respect means any opinion of his is not worth my reading it.[/QUOTE

thanks for sharing the pity party response.

Kiffin had something like a #8 recruiting class at TN.

I'd be okay with that kind of suckage.

You just went there. First, that was with Orgeron and Eddie Gran on staff, who were two of the best recruiters in the nation...

About that class... Listed in order of 247 ranking:

Bryce Brown 5 star- transferred after 1 season of sucking and played maybe 2 games at Kansas State before turning pro and getting a short backup stint with the Seahawks
Nukeese Richardson- 4 star- kicked off team his freshman year after robbing a quickie mart with a pellet gun or something like that
Janzen Jackson- 4 star-Great talent, kicked off team his junior year for multiple issues. Currently in the Louisiana State penitentiary serving an 11 year sentence for voluntary manslaughter.
Darren Myles- 4 star- dismissed from the team his sophomore year after a barroom brawl
David Oku- 4 star- transferred after his freshman year. I know he played somewhere for a midmajor but don't remember who
Jerod Askew- 4 star- was kicked off the team at some point but had never played much to begin with
Marlon Walls- 4 star- holdover from Fulmer's last class who recommitted after attending Hargraves or some finishing school like that. Kicked off the team his senior year. Still around the program and a VFL.
Eric Gordon- 4 star- This guy was pretty good
Marsalis Teague- 4 star- This guy was really good.
Jequari Schofield- 3 star- I don't remember a single thing about his time at Tennessee
Mike Edwards- 3 star- kicked off the team with Nukeese
Arthur Jeffery- 3 star- Don't remember a single thing about this kid
Toney Williams- 3 star- There were some high hopes for his potential, but never did anything of note
Nyshier Oliver- 3 star- Kicked off the team at some point
Robert Nelson- 3 star- Nothing I remember of note
Zach Rogers- 3 star- Solid contributor at WR
Greg King- 3 star- I remember this guy, but I think he moved to LB or something and may have started at some point.
Daniel Hood- 3 star- A book's worth of controversy over this signee. Never had any issues with the Vols though. Stayed with the Vols until Butch took the reigns, but never really did a lot.
Kevin Revis- 3 star- he was coaching at UTC at some point. I remember him starting on the OL here. I may have him mixed up with somebody else, but thought he had to deal with some issues. Thankfully I googled and I was getting him mixed up with Mack Crowder.
Rae Sykes- 3 star Juco- I remember him playing, but that's about it.
Nigel Mitchell Thornton- 3 star- played sparingly. Currently a police officer

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, all have been in the upper echelon of college football for some time now. Tennessee, Texas, Clemson, some others in the not that distant past, have been prominent programs. And yes, I realize what Clemson has done in the very recent past, but Dabo has lost a good number of his top assistant coaches this year, and they were average at best this year. With NIL, I think the first mentioned group will have a very big advantage over the rest of the teams. More success means more businesses willing to make millionaires out of freshmen in college. I hope I'm wrong, and time will tell.

You just went there. First, that was with Orgeron and Eddie Gran on staff, who were two of the best recruiters in the nation...

About that class... Listed in order of 247 ranking:

Bryce Brown 5 star- transferred after 1 season of sucking and played maybe 2 games at Kansas State before turning pro and getting a short backup stint with the Seahawks
Nukeese Richardson- 4 star- kicked off team his freshman year after robbing a quickie mart with a pellet gun or something like that
Janzen Jackson- 4 star-Great talent, kicked off team his junior year for multiple issues. Currently in the Louisiana State penitentiary serving an 11 year sentence for voluntary manslaughter.
Darren Myles- 4 star- dismissed from the team his sophomore year after a barroom brawl
David Oku- 4 star- transferred after his freshman year. I know he played somewhere for a midmajor but don't remember who
Jerod Askew- 4 star- was kicked off the team at some point but had never played much to begin with
Marlon Walls- 4 star- holdover from Fulmer's last class who recommitted after attending Hargraves or some finishing school like that. Kicked off the team his senior year. Still around the program and a VFL.
Eric Gordon- 4 star- This guy was pretty good
Marsalis Teague- 4 star- This guy was really good.
Jequari Schofield- 3 star- I don't remember a single thing about his time at Tennessee
Mike Edwards- 3 star- kicked off the team with Nukeese
Arthur Jeffery- 3 star- Don't remember a single thing about this kid
Toney Williams- 3 star- There were some high hopes for his potential, but never did anything of note
Nyshier Oliver- 3 star- Kicked off the team at some point
Robert Nelson- 3 star- Nothing I remember of note
Zach Rogers- 3 star- Solid contributor at WR
Greg King- 3 star- I remember this guy, but I think he moved to LB or something and may have started at some point.
Daniel Hood- 3 star- A book's worth of controversy over this signee. Never had any issues with the Vols though. Stayed with the Vols until Butch took the reigns, but never really did a lot.
Kevin Revis- 3 star- he was coaching at UTC at some point. I remember him starting on the OL here. I may have him mixed up with somebody else, but thought he had to deal with some issues. Thankfully I googled and I was getting him mixed up with Mack Crowder.
Rae Sykes- 3 star Juco- I remember him playing, but that's about it.
Nigel Mitchell Thornton- 3 star- played sparingly. Currently a police officer
You put a lot of time into NOT denying Kiffin had the #8 class in the nation.

I get the hate. He's all flash and no substance as a coach. Agreed. He does assemble good coaches and recruiters around him.

And, he's right about the topic of this post: college football is moving toward a pro game. Those who don't adjust will not do well in the future.

You put a lot of time into NOT denying Kiffin had the #8 class in the nation.

I get the hate. He's all flash and no substance as a coach. Agreed. He does assemble good coaches and recruiters around him.

And, he's right about the topic of this post: college football is moving toward a pro game. Those who don't adjust will not do well in the future.

What good is a class if it is full of complete busts? How did having the #8 class improve our standing going forward? Here's a hint... Teague was an NFL player, but it didn't.

And for the record, Butch Jones had the #7 ranked class in the nation in 2014, and the #4 ranked class in 2015. Want to bring him back too?

He is absolutely correct and when the bugs are worked out of these new NIL programs, I think we will see a big gap between the programs that embraced it and invested , and the ones that were dragging their feet . I just hope that we are going to be in that first group in the next year or two when it’s up and running full speed .
Vanderbilt should be able to afford to be in the playoffs.

Only help the game I think
Players will stay in school longer cause they now have some money. Won't jump to NFL as fast hopefully.

Tennessee HAS got to up our NIL offers to stay competitive though

More money and in most cases more Entitlement Attitude. Some will be totally un-coachable. There aren't very many Bryce Young types out there.

What good is a class if it is full of complete busts? How did having the #8 class improve our standing going forward? Here's a hint... Teague was an NFL player, but it didn't.

And for the record, Butch Jones had the #7 ranked class in the nation in 2014, and the #4 ranked class in 2015. Want to bring him back too?
I NEVER said I wanted Kiffin back. Way to leap straight into nowhere....... all I responded to was a comment about his recruiting. Go look.

F off with: bring him back. Never said it or implied it.

He's right, it essentially equates to free agency. We will likely see the end of NCAA as a governing body of Division I football.

Maybe I'll start watching Division II...

At least 8-9 of the 2015 class are on professional rosters currently. That was some pathetic coaching imo.

I have faith...unfounded as it is... that the NCAA will figure it out and restrict the ability to transfer. They will see it's not good for the sports. Kids will still be able to get paid....but this transfer craziness will be curtailed for the good of college sports. It's just a bad thing that will get "fixed" going forward. Imo.

Faith, well you better have faith because the Department of Justice told your "faith" to do what they tell them.

They (NCAA/schools) don't have a choice, if anything the rules are temporary and will be even less restrictive in the future.

It's just a bad thing that will get "fixed" going forward.

These are some of the fixes, I would expect even more fixes in the future i.e. removal of barriers.

“Our expectation is that our engagement with the NCAA over its transfer rules will … result in the NCAA’s removal of unnecessary anticompetitive barriers that stand in the way of college athletes transferring between schools. Of course, the Division stands ready to enforce the antitrust laws if necessary.”

Justice Department warns NCAA over transfer and money-making rules

The College football that we knew and grew up with and loved will be destroyed soon
Sadly you are correct. I already do not watch any pro sports now and am fearful college football may be next. I will be a Tennessee Vol til the day I am planted but they are slowly but surely ruining the game....IMHO.

Go Vols! Beat Purdue!

Reactions: sunnyvol79
Vanderbilt should be able to afford to be in the playoffs.

Yes but they have been able to afford it for years just like any Ivy League school . They just aren’t going to spend the money to do it . I’ve often thought when we were struggling how frustrating it must be to be a vandy fan knowing how wealthy they are and being content to be last in the SEC every year .

So.............. a full scholarship is no longer considered a payment in any form or fashion?
If I recall, room and board and other perks are taxable but tuition, books, essentials for school aren't. Grad assistants are different, whether athletes or not, because they teach/work for the school also.

The NCAA and schools DEFINITELY don't want athletic scholarships to be seen as payment because they DEFINITELY don't want to be seen as professional sports teams.

Thank you Lane Kiffin for that brilliant observation of the transfer portal . I would have never thought of it that way LOL..

Yes but they have been able to afford it for years just like any Ivy League school . They just aren’t going to spend the money to do it . I’ve often thought when we were struggling how frustrating it must be to be a vandy fan knowing how wealthy they are and being content to be last in the SEC every year .
Because Vandy, Harvard, Yale, etc WANT to be known for football? They don't. They tolerate football. Why they're good at baseball???? I dunno. Someone might but baseball moves too slow at any level beyond grandkid level for me to care.

VN Store

Back