Like him or not, Kiffin is spot on…

He's right, and it's awful. Just awful. I've followed through thick and thin but my appetite for supporting students represent UT in sports throughout their college career far outstrips my appetite to support a revolving door of names who come and go as they please. People can claim it won't make a difference all they want - the truth is it very much will. College football will still have fans in the aftermath of the changes. But those fans will be fickle, and they will not be there through thick and thin. They will not be fans who value traditions, or history, or rivalries. They will not be fans who donate freely to support young men and women who chose to matriculate at their alma mater. Oh, I can hear naysayers now, saying how tradition is stupid and rivalries are archaic, and donations and alumni don't matter next to big fat TV deals and marketing dollars. They are free to think that.

We've certainly heard plenty of arguments for "free agency" and the right to do whatever, whenever. And if that's the way they're taking (dragging?) the sport, and no one pushes back, then that's the way it'll be. They're free to pursue that vision of college football. But I can't imagine being terribly motivated to spend, or fly, or travel, for that sort of sport. If the players I cheer for aren't invested, then neither am I. And that's just how it's going to be. I suspect I am not the only person who feels that way.
You are NOT alone, friend.

Reactions: Voltopia
Yes, Free Agency destroyed my interest in MLB BUT it was fantastic for the players!!!

There hasn’t been parity in college football for several years so maybe this 1 time transfer rule will bring Some parity. I think it’s much to early to tell.

The schools are getting much richer with these new TV deals and the players aren’t getting a dime of that money. The money the players now get is from contracts they sign with businesses, not from the schools.

Reactions: KHVol
I could see the SEC disbanding from the NCAA in the near future. They don’t need the other conferences to survive. Then they will literally be NFLjr and can sign kids to 4 year contracts that are not fully guaranteed and be able to release them if they are not performing. They will do away with the transfer portal because the schools will want compensation for losing a talented player. Then you will have trades be introduced and players will also start demanding to be traded to a particular school or be released outright with a buyout.

I could see the SEC disbanding from the NCAA in the near future. They don’t need the other conferences to survive. Then they will literally be NFLjr and can sign kids to 4 year contracts that are not fully guaranteed and be able to release them if they are not performing. They will do away with the transfer portal because the schools will want compensation for losing a talented player. Then you will have trades be introduced and players will also start demanding to be traded to a particular school or be released outright with a buyout.
I hate the idea that could possibly happen. But your right I could see that def happening

Reactions: VolPack22
The current state of college football = the NFL farm system. They should have found a way to kill the NIL rules and put all players on a very reasonable stipend. The portal should be better controlled and tightened up. JMO

Who is THEY. States, Schools, NCAA? They does not work here. It is out of control no doubt, But once one two three or four states passed it Everybody had to make a move or disband conferences. Total loss of a level field of teams.

Whether he is right or wrong is immaterial to me. At least to me, after what he did to this program, and his snarky persona equals a total lack of respect. And that complete lack of respect means any opinion of his is not worth my reading it.

Yet you take the time to comment. Got it.

BTW, I didn’t link to the article because it was Kiffin talking—it could’ve been any coach. My only hope is Huepel realizes this as well and TN uses it to catch up to the SEC elite.

Reactions: volsofsteele
Whether he is right or wrong is immaterial to me. At least to me, after what he did to this program, and his snarky persona equals a total lack of respect. And that complete lack of respect means any opinion of his is not worth my reading it.

Can't believe after all this time Lane Kiffin was responsible for hiring Butch Jones who in his 5th year had the worst record in Tennessee history only to be followed by Kiffin hiring Jeremy Pruitt who had noticeable issues.

Here I thought UT's AD and Admin made those hires. Didn't realize that Kiffin was the guy behind the curtain for those 8 years.

Reactions: brockytop
Can't believe after all this time Lane Kiffin was responsible for hiring Butch Jones who in his 5th year had the worst record in Tennessee history only to be followed by Kiffin hiring Jeremy Pruitt who had noticeable issues.
Here I thought UT's AD and Admin made those hires. Didn't realize that Kiffin was the guy behind the curtain for those 8 years.

In the minds of some, Kiffin gave birth to Hitler, despite Kiffin himself not being born at the time.

Reactions: brockytop
for top tier programs, it's a "try before you buy". Those 0, 1, 2, 3 star atheletes that they didn't even look at get to go to mid major programs. If they shine, then they will get poached to top tier programs. Meanwhile, 5 stars that don't pan out and ride the pine at top tier programs get shlucked off to mid major programs where they will be able to shine against lesser players. The rich will get richer so to speak.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I hate the current state of CFB. The transfer portal, Saban's no-end-in-sight dominance, a 2 game playoff along with meaningless bowl games, and continuous conference realignment. It's like the inmates are running the asylum.
I don’t give a crap about Saban. Better him than Kirby. No sweat off my back if Saban continues to dominate for another 5 years. UGA gets over the hump then things could be harder for many more years for us to get back to the top. Saban does have an expiration date. It may not get here as quickly as we like, but the point is that we need to be in position to capitalize when he does step down. Kirby probably won’t leave UGA for at least 10, and could be a lifer since that’s his school.

The current state of college football = the NFL farm system. They should have found a way to kill the NIL rules and put all players on a very reasonable stipend. The portal should be better controlled and tightened up. JMO

It became a de facto NFL farm system way prior to NIL. One of my major complaints about the NFL is they use the collegiate system of NCAA football as their farm system without paying a dime to sustain it. Further many tax paying funds are used to support it. At least MLB pays for it's own farm systems. The NBA has started doing the same thing but not the NFL behind their tax dodging ingrained gouge pf the common man.

Recruiting will be to fill positions that can't be filled from the portal. It will be hard to recruit with the draw of the portal. The CFP is a joke. Same teams every year. Cincinnati is in but will get absolutely blown out by Bama. Thats a wasted spot as there are several teams that are way more competitive but we have to be politically correct. Bowl games are a waste of time. They aren't respected by players like they were in the past. Its too easy to just "sit out" a bowl game. Any player that "sits out" is a complete let down in my book. There is no such thing as team play in college football. Its all about me mentality now and the transfer portal will only strengthen that. Sad times...

He is absolutely correct and when the bugs are worked out of these new NIL programs, I think we will see a big gap between the programs that embraced it and invested , and the ones that were dragging their feet . I just hope that we are going to be in that first group in the next year or two when it’s up and running full speed .

I agree, but there is a big difference between "dragging your feet" and not having the financial resources available. Most schools don't have the money Bama, UT, Tejas, etc. can throw around. This will mean that the "rich" will simply get richer. There will end up being 3 SUPER conferences with those schools that can afford free agency. The rest will be real college football programs. I'm not so sure what I want UT to be.

Totally agree. You will need a scorecard to keep up with what players are on what team.
I've watched Tennessee the last 15 years and I for one am excited about this change! Take advantage of it.... Tennessee / Knoxville is a city that does much better financially when the Vols are playing well. Knoxville and UT need to recognize this and spend the money on these players. Also make it a year to year thing. Becuase, it is the wild wild west and i hope Walter Nolan doesn't commit to the vols. Why? I would beat the over under on him being at the first college he commits to is 1.75 and id Bet the under on it. I think if he goes to A and M he ends up here and vis versa.

Reactions: mercuryvol
there is free agency in college football and programs better take advantage of it. Every bit as important as recruiting when it comes to the success of a program, especially if you’re not recr at the highest level.

Lane Kiffin: 'We Have Free Agency in College Football'

He's right and I'm not so sure it will end up being a terrible thing outside of fans not being able to be as loyal to specific players. The idea of a recruit being a VFL or DGD for life is going to take a hit after kids figure out they aren't going to fit in a system and move on. However, IMO the expanded playoff and the ability of a kid that can really play but isn't seeing the field for the Bamas and OSUs of the world to move on will make closing the talent gap a little easier.

Also, as of today, about 4 to 6 schools are able to sell making a playoff and competing for championships credibly to recruits. As the portal eventually calms down and the playoff expands, about half of the SEC and even some pac and big 12 schools will be able to sell the idea of making a playoff and supplement their rosters with kids that may have originally signed with a blue blood but need to move on to see the field. A good example would be the RB that transferred to Cincy from Bama. Imo, you'll see a longer list of programs improving rather than falling back.

I hate the idea that could possibly happen. But your right I could see that def happening
It’s happening sooner than anyone thinks. The Power 5 are going to start their own league separate from the NCAA.

This will destroy the sport. I hate the NCAA, but they are a necessary evil. It won’t help us if we are still not there yet, but it will destroy lower division football where you rely on the yearly SEC-Southern Conference Bonanza week of Alabama vs. Mercer matchups to fund their athletic departments.

Reactions: sunnyvol79

VN Store

Back