Like him or not, Kiffin is spot on…

That looks like an article someone wrote, the NCAA/schools have always maintained that scholarships are not payments or compensation for service as that would make them subject to "employment" laws. They are more like a gift. They are not being paid for services performed at least the NCAA/schools stance.

There is little to no obligation for the player, although the player might not get a renewal.

Last edited:
No he's virtue signaling because his recruiting class sucks. He thought he was going to get a better job offer this year and now that he's realized thats not happening, he's left holding the bag.

Reactions: jackaro
That looks like an article someone wrote, the NCAA/schools have always maintained that scholarships are not payments or compensation for service as that would make them subject to "employment" laws. They are more like a gift. They are not being paid for services performed at least the NCAA/schools stance.

There is little to no obligation for the player, although the player might not get a renewal.
That second snippet it right from the Supreme court ruling. Specifically says the NCAA allows “payments”.

No he's virtue signaling because his recruiting class sucks. He thought he was going to get a better job offer this year and now that he's realized thats not happening, he's left holding the bag.
I suspect Kiffin starts sniffing for NFL OC positions if Arch Manning goes to GA (or TX, I suppose, but I doubt it ) and not Ole Miss. Arch was his to lose and if he lost...... he'll be toast in Oxford.

I don't think he'll get far but..... Pruitt is working in the NFL. 🤷‍♂️🤔

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
That second snippet it right from the Supreme court ruling. Specifically says the NCAA allows “payments”.

Yes, they make payments but not for services performed, there is no obligation for the player.... they (scholarships and additional benefits) are more akin to a gift.

Yes, they make payments but not for services performed, there is no obligation for the player.... they (scholarships and additional benefits) are more akin to a gift.
The poster I replied to asked whether a scholarhsip is a payment in any form or fashion. Which it is. But regardless that’s not even the point of my post which he was replying to. The NCAA is basically letting things go particularly in the case of transfers and it’s going to remain that way until players are actually being paid by the universities and put under a financially-binding contract that prevents unfettered free agency. It’s just the progression to professionalization

Reactions: KHVol
The poster I replied to asked whether a scholarhsip is a payment in any form or fashion. Which it is. But regardless that’s not even the point of my post which he was replying to. The NCAA is basically letting things go particularly in the case of transfers and it’s going to remain that way until players are actually being paid by the universities and put under a financially-binding contract that prevents unfettered free agency. It’s just the progression to professionalization

The thing with that though could be Title IX meaning all sports and woman sports might have to be treated in a similar fashion. Equal payment.

The thing with that though could be Title IX meaning all sports and woman sports might have to be treated in a similar fashion. Equal payment.
I assume the end result, if colleges choose to remain involved, is an across the board payment for athletes and NIL deals to make up the extra to big money sports.

But wait, as employees the athletes unionize and negotiate salaries.

Yeah, the schools need to get out of the business of athletics ASAP.

Kiffin simply stated the obvious.

As for some of the above crying, college football is changing but not dying. NIL and the transfer portal are part of the changes. Some people felt the Olympics would die with the end of amateurism. They did not. Instead, amateurism simply stopped being part of the discussion. The Olympics prosper due to continued viewer interest.

The current changes to college football are belated adjustments to the college football model. Between 2005 and 2015, Power 5 football saw a 266% increase in revenue. Much of that additional revenue went into increases to football coaches salaries and football facilities. By 2015, the 53 Power 5 schools were playing over $405 million to the 530 coaches. Scholarship packages to the slightly under 5,000 football players was just under $180 million. In other words, the coaching salary pool for 530 coaches was 2.25 times the pool for the 5,000 players.

Coaches were generously paid before 2005. I personally believe most of the additional revenue should have gone into reduced increases to student tuition, and economic development and related research increasing economic opportunity for the citizens of Tennessee. University football revenue should be taxed as Unrelated Business Income (UBI) if its sole use is to make head coaches 1 percenters.

NIL is its Wild West phase. University boosters will abuse the lack of rules and scandals will likely happen. Universities should have no role in NIL since they are enablers for booster corruption. Instead, NIL should be managed through group licensing approach on behalf of the athletes.

I assume the end result, if colleges choose to remain involved, is an across the board payment for athletes and NIL deals to make up the extra to big money sports.

But wait, as employees the athletes unionize and negotiate salaries.

Yeah, the schools need to get out of the business of athletics ASAP.

Yeah there really isn't any easy road here on out for the schools. Every decision made and they run into other bigger issues. The NLRB recently released a memo basically saying college players would be considered "employees" going forward. To me those types of decisions should be on an individual situational basis. There is also lawsuits going on as to reclassify players as employees. (not my favorite way of handling it)

College Athletes Employees NCAA case Johnson v. NCAA FLSA – Sportico.com

NLRB memo says college athletes are employees — not "student athletes"— and deserve benefits, pay - CBS News

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
I hate the current state of CFB. The transfer portal, Saban's no-end-in-sight dominance, a 2 game playoff along with meaningless bowl games, and continuous conference realignment. It's like the inmates are running the asylum.
What do you mean by 'meaningless bowl games'?

What do you mean by 'meaningless bowl games'?

The bowl games have lost their luster and are less significant for a couple of reasons:
1. The eyes of the CFB world are focused on the Playoff;
2. College players opting out of bowl games to prepare for the draft impact the bowl. Often its the team's best player(s) not playing.

Only help the game I think
Players will stay in school longer cause they now have some money. Won't jump to NFL as fast hopefully.

Tennessee HAS got to up our NIL offers to stay competitive though

The NIL in college is chump change to the NFL. Kids will still leave early. The NIL will only help the powerhouse programs. So essentially the rich get richer while the poor get poorer.

VN Store

Back