Like him or not, Kiffin is spot on…

there is free agency in college football and programs better take advantage of it. Every bit as important as recruiting when it comes to the success of a program, especially if you’re not recr at the highest level.

Lane Kiffin: 'We Have Free Agency in College Football'

He is absolutely correct and when the bugs are worked out of these new NIL programs, I think we will see a big gap between the programs that embraced it and invested , and the ones that were dragging their feet . I just hope that we are going to be in that first group in the next year or two when it’s up and running full speed .

Everybody with any sense knew this would happen when the portal started.
LK is simply stating the obvious.
Has the fantasy football weirdness started on college football yet?

He is absolutely correct and when the bugs are worked out of these new NIL programs, I think we will see a big gap between the programs that embraced it and invested , and the ones that were dragging their feet . I just hope that we are going to be in that first group in the next year or two when it’s up and running full speed .

You are gonna see what you have always seen just at a much higher rate. The Bamas, UGAs, Clemsons, Texas and OSUs will become even more potent while most other schools will fall further away. I can see TN falling way behind in everything. So all of this does not help all schools. It just helps the big powerhouse programs.

Teams and schools like his really don't have a chance - coming off a 10-2 season and his recruiting is in shambles - 13th in the conference - 35th or something in the country. He and we killed it in the portal last year, but now everybody is going to be hitting it hard. In two years Ole Miss and Auburn will be last in the conference.

We are somewhat in the middle of the pack recruiting wise. We will need to outsmart and outcoach our opponents. We will never be able to outspend Texas and probably a few others.

You are gonna see what you have always seen just at a much higher rate. The Bamas, UGAs, Clemsons, Texas and OSUs will become even more potent while most other schools will fall further away. I can see TN falling way behind in everything. So all of this does not help all schools. It just helps the big powerhouse programs.

Spot on.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The College football that we knew and grew up with and loved will be destroyed soon

I don't see the passion leaving college football, even with some money being sprinkled in.

What I do know is that Pandora's box has been opened. We're entering a new era of college football.

Not saying this is you but some people said the same thing about black players being brought in.

there is free agency in college football and programs better take advantage of it. Every bit as important as recruiting when it comes to the success of a program, especially if you’re not recr at the highest level.

Whether he is right or wrong is immaterial to me. At least to me, after what he did to this program, and his snarky persona equals a total lack of respect. And that complete lack of respect means any opinion of his is not worth my reading it.

The College football that we knew and grew up with and loved will be destroyed soon

The college football that we (I) knew and grew up with has totally changed in the last several years. Now we have a select group of maybe 5 or 6 teams that have dominate most of the rest of the teams every year and have done so for many years. Maybe that's why many of us, perhaps like me, are losing interest in college football itself, but still passionately support and love our Volunteers as we wait hopefully for the time that sanity and fairness will return to the game. However, having said that, "free agency" now finally threatens to totally destroy the game we love and knew from times past.

Pretty much what ruined baseball for me.

Game 6 of this year's WS was the first baseball game I've watched start to finish since the strike. It just left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I tried to get back into it by watching games but, somehow, it just never was the same. I'd watch a couple of innings and move on to something else.

You may have a few winners in college football but the majority of schools might push football out into an independent farm league. Schools have more to sell boosters than athletics.

Reactions: Smokey X

He's right, and it's awful. Just awful. I've followed through thick and thin but my appetite for supporting students represent UT in sports throughout their college career far outstrips my appetite to support a revolving door of names who come and go as they please. People can claim it won't make a difference all they want - the truth is it very much will. College football will still have fans in the aftermath of the changes. But those fans will be fickle, and they will not be there through thick and thin. They will not be fans who value traditions, or history, or rivalries. They will not be fans who donate freely to support young men and women who chose to matriculate at their alma mater. Oh, I can hear naysayers now, saying how tradition is stupid and rivalries are archaic, and donations and alumni don't matter next to big fat TV deals and marketing dollars. They are free to think that.

We've certainly heard plenty of arguments for "free agency" and the right to do whatever, whenever. And if that's the way they're taking (dragging?) the sport, and no one pushes back, then that's the way it'll be. They're free to pursue that vision of college football. But I can't imagine being terribly motivated to spend, or fly, or travel, for that sort of sport. If the players I cheer for aren't invested, then neither am I. And that's just how it's going to be. I suspect I am not the only person who feels that way.

Last edited:
Only help the game I think
Players will stay in school longer cause they now have some money. Won't jump to NFL as fast hopefully.

Tennessee HAS got to up our NIL offers to stay competitive though

Reactions: OrangeInKy

VN Store

Back