Latest Marvin West column

Best D staff that has been here under Jones IMO.

:good!:

No question. I get accused of beating Jones up too much... but his hire of Shoop with the rest of the Athletic Dept in the shape it was... is VERY impressive. LOVE the DB coach. I know he's had some issues but getting Hoke to coach DL is pretty impressive too.

As an answer to Jake's doubts, I think the D could be the difference in a positive way this fall. I really do.

Perfect sense.

I'm apprehensive and skeptical about Jones actual ability to be a HC at this level. He does a lot of things well... some elite. But he has just lost too many games that looking back loom large.

Yeah, same here, though I'm encouraged by what I've seen and read about this off season. On the surface there at least seems to be some effort on his part to change some things individually, without altering the basics... Culture, work ethic etc....

Even so, I still think the results we're all after are still about a year out.

It'll be tricky for him perception wise regardless, if we only win 7 or 8 games, which is what I think will ultimately happen this season.

Reactions: 1 person
:good!:

No question. I get accused of beating Jones up too much... but his hire of Shoop with the rest of the Athletic Dept in the shape it was... is VERY impressive. LOVE the DB coach. I know he's had some issues but getting Hoke to coach DL is pretty impressive too.

As an answer to Jake's doubts, I think the D could be the difference in a positive way this fall. I really do.

Well I sure hope you're right...👍

Read the article, gave it the day to ponder, read it again. West used real events that are are open to debate and views, he was having a negative day/week/month when writing.
I've had them also and thought the exact same. I could've written this article, which is sad because West is a much better writer than I.

I also could have had a positive day, taken the exact same events and made them sound really reassuring. Like a typical VN visit.
Won't insult Mr. West given his usual informative pieces but this was just a rehashing and over simplification of everything we already knew, written on a 'everything sucks' kinda day.
Could have skipped the article and just read a good negative post.

Reactions: 2 people
"Many" see signs of optimism from the improvement in coaches...including Butch. Doesn't make them lesser fans than you OR affect this "culture" you revere like a Hindu elephant. Who's "we" btw? Some select posters that are setting themselves aside for higher standard pillow fights?

I would think the "we" are most Vol fans that "hope" a culture of winning is on the way.

butchna, sometimes you try too hard.

Reactions: 3 people
For those that think the UF line is out of line, at what number would you take the Vols?

If UT @ +9 is a joke, why not load up on it?

If you think the line should be UT + 3-3.5, how confident are you?

Honestly, I would jump on UT @ +9. If it's under a TD, I'm not as confident...at this point. The GT game will answer a lot of questions.

For those that think the UF line is out of line, at what number would you take the Vols?

Honestly, I would jump on UT @ +9. If it's under a TD, I'm not as confident...at this point. The GT game will answer a lot of questions.
Betting perspective, I totally agree

But that's not success...it is simply better than where we were.

It's success in terms of setting goals and reaching them. Now, it's time to take the next step and win championships if he is to still be considered having success. Was CPF successful? HOF coach and won a NC. He started having some losing seasons. He was fired. However, he was still considered a successful coach. It's the overall body of work. Looking at what we were to where we are shows CBJ has had some success. Must go to the next level to still be viewed as successful down the road. 5-7 to 9-4 would be considered successful growth in the business world. But now you have to keep building or growing or you get canned. This is how I see it.

I earned a degree in journalism from UT. It is a poorly written article, regardless of content. Op-ed provides some latitude, but it reads more like a wanna be columnist on Volnation.

Umm, he IS a columnist of notable excellence. He has written about UT Sports since before your parents were born, most likely. Marvin has been around since the 60s and generally speaking, is superior in perspective and sourcing.

I would hate to be known by my worst day, but it would happen if my worst day was in front of people who never met me.
:detective:

(This post submitted at 36,000 feet over Russia. Man, I love technology.)

I think I agree with some of what this guy said, but it was written so poorly that I can't really be sure. The article is all over the place. All kidding aside, is this Marvin West guy becoming senile?

As someone who has read Marvin's opinions for years, I would say no. That is pretty much classic Marvin West, and it beats reading Clay Travis or John Adams any day of the week. Marvin is an acquired taste, but he loves the Vols.

Once you get past your opinion of his writing style, you will see few sports writers are as honest as him. If it helps, try reading Twain's Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn. That will make reading Marvin seem much easier.

I don't gamble but if I did I would put some money on that line. UF may have a solution at QB but I personally like where UT is better.

The anointment of RS FR Franks has been interrupted by addition of Zaire. MZ is a talented guy who has only attempted passes in 10 games in 3 years. In 5 of those games, his completion % was under 50%... including 3 of 6 games last fall. He's now in a new system with new teammates. That leaves IMO Franks still standing. The challenge will be good for him but he's still a RS Fr with all that goes with it.

If what Dormady did in the spring game even accounting for the special conditions was not a fluke. UT is solid at QB. People say "yeah but"... BUT... it is difficult for most guys to go 10 for 10 against air. If it is a fluke... then UT is in basically the same situation as UF with a very talented RS Fr as its starting QB.

According to the most recent UF depth chart reported by ourlads.com, UF doesn't have an upperclassman in the OL 2-deep. One starter and 3 back ups are true Fr. If this is accurate... then we can only imagine the handwringing that would be happening here if our situation was like that with a new QB. But it isn't. UT is loaded with experienced talent on the OL plus Smith who if he starts will have put several former starters out of a job.

UF returns more talented experience than UT at WR and has more depth at RB.

UF never lacks for talent on D but they lost a lot of production. UT also has talent... if they can keep it healthy.

I have been wrong before and will be again... I just don't see UT as a two score dog to UF as we sit today.

Good post IMO.

You're wrong about Butchna.

I enjoy debate. Some don't like it or the way I do it. I don't mind if they think of it as a flaw. That's their prerogative. All of us come here in one way or another to enjoy ourselves. Debate challenges a person mentally. I like that and sincerely don't mind being wrong but will obviously argue long and hard to prove out the stronger opinion. Most people here are enjoyable to interact with at least some times. I enjoy those who disagree with me as much as those who don't... and sometimes more when they have some facts and good reasoning. Truthfully, why would anyone want to continue in a wrong or uninformed opinion if through some argument/debate... they could either strengthen their opinion or change it?

Butchna is pretty much the opposite of that. I'm pretty patient and hold out hope that someone will say something useful or constructive. Butchna has been nothing but a bore IMO.

I don't have an exact count but I've ignored less than 5 people in 11 years here and he's not even the most offensive.... he just doesn't say anything useful or even anything I find funny very often. I caught myself being pulled into arguments with him about "me" rather than football pretty much every time we were on a thread together.

I don't enjoy him and consider him a waste of time. So... now you know my perspective and reasons even if you don't agree with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Not trying to change your mind or anyone else's.

I appreciate his sense of humor, you don't.

Anyway, we all have our shortcomings and I try to overlook them, although its tough sometimes.

I enjoy debate. Some don't like it or the way I do it. I don't mind if they think of it as a flaw. That's their prerogative. All of us come here in one way or another to enjoy ourselves. Debate challenges a person mentally. I like that and sincerely don't mind being wrong but will obviously argue long and hard to prove out the stronger opinion. Most people here are enjoyable to interact with at least some times. I enjoy those who disagree with me as much as those who don't... and sometimes more when they have some facts and good reasoning. Truthfully, why would anyone want to continue in a wrong or uninformed opinion if through some argument/debate... they could either strengthen their opinion or change it?

Butchna is pretty much the opposite of that. I'm pretty patient and hold out hope that someone will say something useful or constructive. Butchna has been nothing but a bore IMO.

I don't have an exact count but I've ignored less than 5 people in 11 years here and he's not even the most offensive.... he just doesn't say anything useful or even anything I find funny very often. I caught myself being pulled into arguments with him about "me" rather than football pretty much every time we were on a thread together.

I don't enjoy him and consider him a waste of time. So... now you know my perspective and reasons even if you don't agree with me.

We "know" what you want us to "know". Repeatedly blaring it like an ATF standoff. :pinch:

You aint funny...

He has spoken.

But I? Hey, a referendum's a referendum. :wavey:
tyler_turning_around_walking_away.gif

Well, I don't, but, big deal, right? He's one of my favorites, but, I guess that's why they make vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and, well, you know.... P.S. I enjoy your posts as well.

Good post IMO.

You're wrong about Butchna.

He's not even in the neighborhood.
Some people can't understand what butchna is saying because you have to think about it. Those who do understand it, realize how on target he is.

And love that Mustafa made a quick comment. He's responsible for some of the most intellectual posts I've ever read on this site. Ironically, most of them were disproving something sjt said lol.

Reactions: 3 people
What's the story on the red splotches on her chest? Also, it looks like a pigeon shat in her hair on her right side.... oh, well.... thanks, but, no thanks.

She wasn't OFFERED to you! You can't refuse!

VN Store

Back