Latest Marvin West column

even better. you hold up the "one" finger, you know, to show him our current streak?:eek:lol:

on a side note, i took both my daughters to that game last year...their first game in Neyland. they're now my good luck charms.......

He actually made the first comment after shaking my hand.

"Good game Vols, y'all kicked their a$$ that second half."
Never forget it.

I was there with a good friend that knew his wife in passing from USC. He played bball there.

Reactions: 1 person
He actually made the first comment after shaking my hand.

"Good game Vols, y'all kicked their a$$ that second half."
Never forget it.

I was there with a good friend that knew his wife in passing from USC. He played bball there.

that's cool.

May have been the hottest game I ever attended.

Sun from start to finish.

yep, we were in the North Endzone, lower level right above the tunnel...great visual for the pre game and jumbo tron.

but i felt awful for my youngest...she was literally crawling under the bleacher set to hide from the sun.

i've never wanted to see clouds more in my life...it was brutal that day. i think we stayed in the breezway at half time until half of the 3rd quarter was done....

the oldest sat on a bag of ice....:eek:lol:

yep, we were in the North Endzone, lower level right above the tunnel...great visual for the pre game and jumbo tron.

but i felt awful for my youngest...she was literally crawling under the bleacher set to hide from the sun.

i've never wanted to see clouds more in my life...it was brutal that day. i think we stayed in the breezway at half time until half of the 3rd quarter was done....

the oldest sat on a bag of ice....:eek:lol:

Upper deck east side. Sun from start to finish. They ran out of water at the concessions.

The corridor outside was a pitiful mixture of lunch, liqour, and dehydrated bodies.
Nasty stuff.

When the UF fans are going down, it hot.

Upper deck east side. Sun from start to finish. They ran out of water at the concessions.

The corridor outside was a pitiful mixture of lunch, liqour, and dehydrated bodies.
Nasty stuff.

When the UF fans are going down, it hot.

yep. you got that right. while we were out there in the breezeway at halftime, we saw i think 4 people carted out on gurneys.......

the guy sitting next me (if you can call it sitting)...i have no idea how he made it thru. dude was trashed when he got there, trashed when he left. i was close to taking odds from others around us on what quarter he'd have to be carted away....dude was a trooper though.:eek:lol:

yep. you got that right. while we were out there in the breezeway at halftime, we saw i think 4 people carted out on gurneys.......

the guy sitting next me (if you can call it sitting)...i have no idea how he made it thru. dude was trashed when he got there, trashed when he left. i was close to taking odds from others around us on what quarter he'd have to be carted away....dude was a trooper though.:eek:lol:
Lol.

Good thing it ended the way it did.

I think we have improved as a program enough that we have more gimmie games(8) where an "upset" loss can occur, fewer toss ups(3), where sure we'll be "upset" if we lose, and only one opportunity for an "upset" win.

With the gimmies it won't matter how it happens a loss won't fly. With the toss ups, we will ifs, buts, shoulds, and coulds with a loss and even with a win we will critique( as we should) the game to identify areas that need to improve so we don't lose a toss up and certainly not a gimmie if similar issues were to continue.

We had a turnover issue last year or at least being loose with it. When we were 5-0 we overcame them. Then we finished the regular season with 4 losses, turnovers didn't help with all the other team issues we had.

Expected wins vs toss up vs being the underdog, and "upset win" can't happen with the 1st 2, only "upset" losses or upsetting losses.

Against bama at tuscalooservolle is the only chance we have of getting an " upset" win".

This is all on paper in late June, by the time we get to Sept. and see how each team actually responds to competition, I expect that some of our toss up games will lean closer to being a gimmie due to finding out that Florida does suck, Smart was a bad hire, and Coach O peaked while at The University of a Black Bear(How many of their fans are laughing at LSU(Lost My Shoe) for that coaching hire?).

Go Vols!

while i agree that i don't think we're to the point we were several years back where beating teams like that would be like a David/Goliath type match up...

this year, it will be conventional wisdom to believe both GA and FL SHOULD win their games against us given all the changes we've made among the coaching ranks, and breaking in a new qb, rb, de's etc....

we all still have questions, agreed, and the playing field is probably as even as it's been (not sure if that's good or bad given the state of the east the past few years) in quite some time. but many will believe, right or wrong, that we just have more ?'s than the other two.

so when it comes time for folks to to pick winners in those games, i'm willing to bet a majority will pick the opposition, than us. making it an "upset". would people be shocked if we won? probably not. i still think most are lukewarm on the East as a whole.

hell, most of us, self included, have us losing to at least one of them. very few of us expect us to beat both. and if we do, i would say "good job....now don't screw it up again".:thumbsup:

Agree. I just don't think Jones should get credit for an upset if he beats one of them. If he beats both for the 2nd year in a row... that would be quite a bit more impressive IMO.

I seriously think it comes down to resolving whatever issues have caused UT to suffer abnormally high injuries over the past 3 years. I think UT has talent. I think they finally have an SEC caliber staff under Jones.... especially on D. They finally have a S&C coach who at least by resume belongs in the SEC. I really don't see upgrading the staff as something that should make people less confident. You could definitely be right. That may be the consensus... but I don't think it should be.

Definitely not putting these games in the "should win" column... but if you divide the season into unlikely, likely, and in between... I think LSU, UF, and UGA all belong in the "in between".

You don't think people should be less confident because we upgraded the staff?

Never mind. Reading comprehension on my part.

Last edited:
Agree. I just don't think Jones should get credit for an upset if he beats one of them. If he beats both for the 2nd year in a row... that would be quite a bit more impressive IMO.

I seriously think it comes down to resolving whatever issues have caused UT to suffer abnormally high injuries over the past 3 years. I think UT has talent. I think they finally have an SEC caliber staff under Jones.... especially on D. They finally have a S&C coach who at least by resume belongs in the SEC. I really don't see upgrading the staff as something that should make people less confident. You could definitely be right. That may be the consensus... but I don't think it should be.

Definitely not putting these games in the "should win" column... but if you divide the season into unlikely, likely, and in between... I think LSU, UF, and UGA all belong in the "in between".
Agreed. I go from what should be, to what I think will happen, and rarely do they reconcile.

Cause I agree with you on the staff and talent. But is it likely to all gel in a single off season? Obviously I tend to lean to the "no" to that question.

Could? Yeah. I'd prefer it!! Harder for me to say it should.... Even though I acknowledge that was the whole point of making the change in the first place..I just see it happening on a little longer timeline. Hope that makes sense.

Pep+talk.gif

:eek:k:

You don't think people should be less confident because we upgraded the staff?

Its not the upgrade, its just the volume of change and expecting it to post immediate dividends, to the tune of a 10+ win season.

Even though I do think it's an upgrade, it, to me, my take them a full cycle of a complete off season and season to reach their potential....

If it would be an upset going in, it's forgivable if it doesn't happen.

And like wise the magnitude of the win reaches a different level if it can be applied.

I don't see it with UF. Not given where their program is.

Me either honestly.

Of the five games people talk about losing, the two I feel the best about, for different reasons, are Florida and lsu.

Won't be shocked if we lost both. And likewise, won't be shocked if we won both.

Me either honestly.

Of the five games people talk about losing, the two I feel the best about, for different reasons, are Florida and lsu.

Won't be shocked if we lost both. And likewise, won't be shocked if we won both.
LSU is hard to figure at this point.

Talents there, staff seems to be pretty good. The head guy is the ?

Agreed. I go from what should be, to what I think will happen, and rarely do they reconcile.

Cause I agree with you on the staff and talent. But is it likely to all gel in a single off season? Obviously I tend to lean to the "no" to that question.

Could? Yeah. I'd prefer it!! Harder for me to say it should.... Even though I acknowledge that was the whole point of making the change in the first place..I just see it happening on a little longer timeline. Hope that makes sense.

Perfect sense.

I'm apprehensive and skeptical about Jones actual ability to be a HC at this level. He does a lot of things well... some elite. But he has just lost too many games that looking back loom large.

VN Store

Back