Latest Marvin West column

So telling the truth is wrong because it might call into question a questionable HC?

It isn't just Knoxville. There are national reporters and oddsmakers wondering if UK will pass UT this year. Whether you agree or not... is it even remotely acceptable that this should even be a topic for debate?

:lolabove: "Bandwagon fans" who've been with the Vols for decades, through thick and thin,... who just find things like the losses to Vandy and USCe unacceptable?

Firmly behind the UT Vols. But I don't think that means giving blind faith to a coach who hasn't come close to earning it. Do you?

I know it's the off season, and Butch does have stuff to prove. But, I think there's no way Butch get's fired this year, unless 5-6 win season...it could certainly happen then. But, think Butch has a 2 year interview for his future longevity w/ UT.

Reactions: 1 person
"It is still debatable whether Butch Jones is good enough at football coaching to win championships in the big league. Could be titles are no longer necessary."

Stopped reading after that last sentence...

Just curious as to why? The last sentance seems to be accurate for how our program is ran.

That's fair. Looking back at some 2008 threads I was reminded that many of us saw Brian Kelley as preferable to Kiffin for that very reason.

Absolutely, and if the wheels were to fall of this year (meaning 6-6 or worse) and they fire Butch and look for a new coach, Chip Kelly would be at the top of my list.

that Bills post didn't have one comment...I was around the same time Chuck was here....such a talent, so creative, smart, fun, visionary, so all the good things we haven't had since...I got to know him a bit, lost touch but will never forget him.

You can call this article anything but wrong. I'm not ready to abandon Butch just yet. Not because I'm a Butch fan but because I'm a fan of not being on the coaching merry-go-round. Butch is not expected to win the national championship this year but he had better not choke on the games that we are supposed to win. He needs to steal one or two games that we were not expected to win. If he can't do that, I would be open to change assuming we had a proven coach on the market that would be a good fit at UT. We do not need to make some darling upstart higher to replace Butch. We'll be in the same position 5 years from now.

this part stood out to me

"outside contain, improved tackling, reading keys, communications, cohesion."

with another year under Shoop a lot of these problems should be better,how much longer will it take Shoop to have everybody on the same page as far as communication and such go ?

CFA is going to break 6 tackles on his way to a 63 yard TD run against BAMA. Volunteers win 31-28 with 35 seconds to go in the game!!

BOOK IT!!:pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:

That's what the off-season is all about. Articles like this take you back in time while at the same time have you looking into the future wondering, who's next?

WTEYSLM.gif

Reactions: 6 people
And that's it mister Marvin West. That's what I've been feeling since early spring. The volunteers are about to shock some negas this year.

Marvin and Tom Siler used to write the best columns for the Sentinel and the Journal. There are no Tennessee football writes left like those two. If you never read their daily reports track down so late 60's early 70 papers and read their columns. Good stuff.

Reactions: 3 people
Mr.West used to be one of the referees when I played Biddy Basketball over at the Lamar Street Gym near 5th Avenue. That was over 40 years ago. My memory is that he followed Tom Siler as the main writer for the Knoxville News Sentinel. And I believe that Mr.Ben Byrd was the main columnist at the old Knoxville Journal. I believe that Mr.Byrd was Rick Byrd's dad.

I played basketball for Rule High when Rick played for Doyle. We never played them in a regular game only scrimmages.

Mr.Siler, Mr.Byrd, and Mr.West can never be replaced. Now we are left with......the putz from Louisiana, Adams.

I believe that Al Browning followed Mr.West at the Sentinel, who new that he would actually be missed until Adams came along to do all that he could to run Phil Fulmer out of town.

Dang, I am really old.

Reactions: 2 people
Mr.West used to be one of the referees when I played Biddy Basketball over at the Lamar Street Gym near 5th Avenue. That was over 40 years ago. My memory is that he followed Tom Siler as the main writer for the Knoxville News Sentinel. And I believe that Mr.Ben Byrd was the main columnist at the old Knoxville Journal. I believe that Mr.Byrd was Rick Byrd's dad.

I played basketball for Rule High when Rick played for Doyle. We never played them in a regular game only scrimmages.

Mr.Siler, Mr.Byrd, and Mr.West can never be replaced. Now we are left with......the putz from Louisiana, Adams.

I believe that Al Browning followed Mr.West at the Sentinel, who new that he would actually be missed until Adams came along to do all that he could to run Phil Fulmer out of town.

Dang, I am really old.

I used to play at Lamar Street Gym. It was more like 35 to 30 years ago, tho. It's been torn down for at least 20 years, maybe longer. Yeah, I'm old too

VN Store

Back