Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

You mean when we had 15 and he predicted it would be zero soon?

Or any of his other nonsensical ramblings about it being "very much under control?"

Oops.
Compared to the numbers on H1N1 and others, yes, this virus appears to be very much under control, so much so that the experts are revising their projections. The reaction isn’t under control at all.

He says a lot of awkward things. Hes an awkward dude in a lot of ways.

I'm not a Dr so I wouldnt pretend to know.

I'd guess they understand the side effects pretty well given the drug is old.
One thing I've noticed is that he's quite imprecise in his speech. Even by a politician's standards, he very rarely speaks in very specific terms and quite often makes vague statements, leaving the listener to determine what exactly is being said.

For a media that absolutely despises him (actually they have a complicated relationship with him because he brings big ratings), they fill in the blanks with the worst possible interpretations, naturally.

Compared to the numbers on H1N1 and others, yes, this virus appears to be very much under control, so much so that the experts are revising their projections. The reaction isn’t under control at all.
How so? Per cdc.gov, from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases and 12,469 deaths in the United States due to the H1N1 pdm09 virus. Currently, there are 385,093 cases of COVID-19 in the United States and there have been 12,197 deaths so far.

If there’s an undercount in deaths, which seems like a given, there’s assuredly an undercount in the number of people afflicted with COVID-19. Any loss of life is unfortunate, but the true mortality rate for this pandemic is much lower than we think and makes the lockdown’s economic fallout seem even more absurd.

I think a good range for current case count is 2-3 MM in the US. When correcting for the time it takes from onset of symptoms to death, that lines up pretty well with the deaths we’re seeing to suggest a 0.5-1% mortality rate - which is where the currently most widely accepted Lancet-published rate of 0.66% falls.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
This confuses the issue. It has nothing to do with whether the drug works or not. In fact, we all hope it does work. Rather, the criticism is of his placing his own wish that it work above the scientific approach to testing it.

But we get it. If it works, Trumps and his slurpers will proclaim his genius from every street corner and rooftop. If the science says it doesn't work, then there will be a mix of 1) the scientists are just saying that because they hate Trump; and, 2) that's okay he said it might not work, anyway.

These are the basic refrains of the entire Trump administration.

The use of this drug needs to be left up to the doctors on the front lines rather than being turned into partisan politics. Let the doctors who are working with patients make the call as to whether or not HC is right for their patients.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
How so? Per cdc.gov, from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases and 12,469 deaths in the United States due to the H1N1 pdm09 virus. Currently, there are 385,093 cases of COVID-19 in the United States and there have been 12,197 deaths so far.

And we know that case count is low but 2-3 MM is reasonable. But we have always thought this was much more deadly than H1N1. And if just 7 weeks we’ve surpassed the deaths it took H1N1 a year to tally. And that is with massive social distancing to slow this virus down and limit cases.

That’s what happens when you take an R0 illness of roughly 1.3 and drop contact by 40% nationally. It ends the endemic phase.

I read that as pneumonia and influenza dropping is indicating that those deaths are being attributed to COVID now....not that reduced contact has dropped those mortalities.

Reactions: hog88
I read that as pneumonia and influenza dropping is indicating that those deaths are being attributed to COVID now....not that reduced contact has dropped those mortalities.

I don’t think that’s the right read. While it might be happening on a small basis, most locations require a positive CV test before a death can be categorized as CV.

Flu and pneumonia deaths are still happening. However we should expect cases to drop RAPIDLY. It’s warming up and with social distancing you can pretty much knock it out. That’s why it’s seasonal. It teeters on R0<1 and >1 depending on season. In flu season it climbs to 1.3 and actively spreads. But light lockdowns will really reduce that number and if it falls below 1 active cases will call away quickly. I would go so far as to say this is the expected consequence of social distancing.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjd970
Trump's line of "What do you have to lose? Take it," strikes me as an awkward thing to say. Almost as if he is touting a liquid refreshment. It's my understanding that hydroxychloroquine is not considered safe for people with abnormal heart rhythms.
Your quote wasn't in his quote EL posted last night.

Chicago Mayor Urges Citizens To ‘Stay Home, Save Lives’ — Until She Needs A Haircut

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot defended her decision to get a haircut despite urging citizens to stay at home in accordance with the state order.

Lightfoot called on Chicago residents to “Stay home, save lives” in a recent video and even added the mantra to her Twitter handle. (RELATED: Chicago Mayor Heard Calling Police Union Leader A ‘Clown’)

lightfoot-e1586258032290.jpg

But a few days later, a photo surfaced of Lightfoot with a woman who claimed to have given the mayor a haircut — after the statewide “stay-at-home” order was given.
EU9miuPWsAIjtJa

Chicago Mayor Urges Citizens To ‘Stay Home, Save Lives’ — Until She Needs A Haircut
I can't blame her. Her hairdo makes her.

Trump's line of "What do you have to lose? Take it," strikes me as an awkward thing to say. Almost as if he is touting a liquid refreshment. It's my understanding that hydroxychloroquine is not considered safe for people with abnormal heart rhythms.
If that is indeed the case, the doctors will know that before they prescribe it.

One thing I've noticed is that he's quite imprecise in his speech. Even by a politician's standards, he very rarely speaks in very specific terms and quite often makes vague statements, leaving the listener to determine what exactly is being said.

For a media that absolutely despises him (actually they have a complicated relationship with him because he brings big ratings), they fill in the blanks with the worst possible interpretations, naturally.

He hasnt been groomed by handlers as most politicians are from the introductory stages. So you get an unfiltered opinion and statement that doesnt sound like your typical politician. That and he obviously doesnt really care what most think about his comments or whether the media is going to run off with this comment and cause issues later. He just doesnt care.

Honestly, I dont mind that so much. We ve been trained to expect politicians to say this a certain way or not say that....and so on.

Some people need to hear the other version.

Your quote wasn't in his quote EL posted last night.
This is the full quote as it appears on MSNBC:

"What do you have to lose? In some cases, they're in bad shape. What do you have to lose? It's been out there for a long time, and I hope they use it.... I think people should -- if it were me -- in fact, I might do it anyway. I may take it. Okay? I may take it. And I'll have to ask my doctors about that, but I may take it."

"What do you have to lose? In some cases, they're in bad shape. What do you have to lose? It's been out there for a long time, and I hope they use it.... I think people should -- if it were me -- in fact, I might do it anyway. I may take it. Okay? I may take it. And I'll have to ask my doctors about that, but I may take it."

Sounds like "my opinion is this, but talk to your doctor".

The horror.

It was a clunky statement. "What do you have to lose?" Is that how you should approach whether or not to take a certain drug when you are sick?

VN Store

Back