Kongbo Exit Interview

mrmax86

Fight. Strain. Compete.
Jonathan Kongbo just sat down with @David Ubben of The Athletic to talk about his time at Tennessee. His comments are worth a read. Good kid. Great read. Some insights into how things were different back when Butch was here vs. Pruitt.

Exit Interview: Jonathan Kongbo on Tennessee drama under...

A couple excerpts:

How would you describe the last year at Tennessee?
I think the last year was a step toward a right direction for the program. Under Butch Jones, I just felt like there were a lot of people in administrative roles that shouldn’t be there. That shouldn’t be working with kids. They were just there for their own selfish gain.
When you say people were in administrative roles that shouldn’t be there, what do you mean?
I just felt like with the old, I don’t want to say staff, because the staff was straight. The people around the program, whether it be the AD or whatever, it wasn’t the right fit for what Tennessee wants to do. Tennessee wants to be an elite, championship-winning program. In my opinion, they just didn’t go about it the right way.
I can say that now because I see how (Jeremy) Pruitt is doing it. And what he’s doing is elite. You can tell, his message, from the weight room and how it’s set up, meetings, you’re meeting every day. You’re getting football in every day. It wasn’t like that before.
Man, Tennessee is a drama show. It needs its own series, man.
I just wanted open communication. You can’t move me a position and I find out through Twitter.
What was it like before?
Man, we’d have football twice a week during the offseason. We’d have football meetings twice a week...
...Last year, we had football in the mornings and in the afternoons. We were getting it in twice a day, specifically just football stuff.

Well....after reading this, I find myself trying to find words.

**Edit** I guess you turn a lemon into lemonade. Any recruit...will feel reassured Pruitt is running things differently.

Man, we’d have football twice a week during the offseason. We’d have football meetings twice a week...

qGhiEIe.gif

I'm sure it's John Currie and Bev Davenport.... and if it isn't well **** them anyway

He included Hart as well.

When you say people were in administrative roles that shouldn’t be there, what do you mean?
I just felt like with the old, I don’t want to say staff, because the staff was straight. The people around the program, whether it be the AD or whatever, it wasn’t the right fit for what Tennessee wants to do. Tennessee wants to be an elite, championship-winning program. In my opinion, they just didn’t go about it the right way.

VN Store

Back