Kongbo Exit Interview

Not surprised. He couldn’t have cared less. He knew what was coming and coasted and we still paid him.
Is it to late to add the (With Cause) to his firing, just saying if settling for $35,000 a year, is looking for a competitive HC job is BS. This needs to be looked into by the UT Administration. Get this A$$ Clown off our books.

Is it to late to add the (With Cause) to his firing, just saying if settling for $35,000 a year, is looking for a competitive HC job is BS. This needs to be looked into by the UT Administration. Get this A$$ Clown off our books.

Every other school is playing hardball with these coaches on buyouts. Alabama did with Avery. Tennessee should start getting tough. Hell, they gave Pearl a million + to leave and he should have paid Tennessee.

How did be become our coach!

635920076907130415-NAS-UT-presser-04.jpg

And keep in mind Peyton tried to convince lyle to go to Colorado

Peyton Manning tried to woo Vols' Butch Jones to Colorado job

"He was selling me on Colorado," Jones said. "He said it was hard for a person from the University of Tennessee to be selling somebody to come to the University of Colorado. I wanted to text him back, 'Come on, I want to go to Tennessee.'"

Journalism is dead.
If I was a journalist I would have been seeking out players for interviews for an expose of the Jones tenure. I imagine that would have been great stuff.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
In the article doesn't he also say when asked if Butch was a good coach something like " If there was a PR or Manager job on a football team he'd be better at that, like handling all the off the field stuff"

At your pro day, you said you felt like the first time you met Jeremy Pruitt, you sensed Tennessee would be successful as long as he was here. Did you ever have that sense there with Butch Jones?
Uh, I don’t want to speak bad about him because I respect him a lot. But like, Butch Jones was a good manager, you know? If there was a managing spot in football, where you just plan what the team needs to do today and what we’re going to do and all that stuff, it was great under Butch. But, just, the meat and potatoes were lacking. Collectively.

Before it was like, they’ll throw you under the bus just like that. They didn’t give an F about you. It was “protect their ass, protect their ass, protect their ass.”

Actually if you read the whole thing he was very clear that the issues he saw were from administrative staff not coaching staff. Also he mentioned how a lot of the meetings stuff changed partially because of rule changes. Notice he mentioned that Butch was a players coach and everyone, including him, loved him.

From reading what Kongbo said it seems like the biggest singular change was Fulmer and Pruitt was a byproduct of that choice. This is kind of borne out by the past decade of ineptitude by the AD. Outside of Barnes every choice made by the AD since Fulmer was fired has been a train-wreck. It can be argued that no matter what coaches were hired for football during that era they were bound to fail. I look back on all our coaches during that period and though I would not consider any of them a great coach I think either of them could have been good coaches under this current administration. Lets be honest each of them, outside of Kiffin, left the program in a little better shape than the guy before them. Dooley was fairly regularly playing walkons. Butch a bit less and now with Pruitt I don';t see us playing any walkons even though he is bringing in an entirely different breed of them.
Yeah, Butch Jones was NOT loved by everyone. Heard too many rumors and seen too much on twitter from former players like Kamara and JRM mocking him. Maybe Kongbo liked Jones, but I even find that hard to believe since he complained about finding out they were changing his position from DE to DT, and that was 100% Butch Jones.

At your pro day, you said you felt like the first time you met Jeremy Pruitt, you sensed Tennessee would be successful as long as he was here. Did you ever have that sense there with Butch Jones?
Uh, I don’t want to speak bad about him because I respect him a lot. But like, Butch Jones was a good manager, you know? If there was a managing spot in football, where you just plan what the team needs to do today and what we’re going to do and all that stuff, it was great under Butch. But, just, the meat and potatoes were lacking. Collectively.

Before it was like, they’ll throw you under the bus just like that. They didn’t give an F about you. It was “protect their ass, protect their ass, protect their ass.”

When a HC gets focused on “managing” what goes on off the field vs on the field it’s over. Now we all understand how this mess got created in the first place.

While I could see that our program was rotting from the inside out under Butch I never knew any of what Kongbo is now saying.

Did anybody else know?

I don't think its a matter if Kongbo liked Jones or not its a matter of presenting himself to a potential future employer in the way of an NFL team. If I was looking to hire someone and they were airing all the "dirty laundry" from their previous employer for everyone to see, it would give me pause on hiring that person. Would they do that to me and/or my organization? I think Kongbo is using tact in saying that Butch didn't know what the hell he was doing....but saying it in a nice way.

Good news like this ?? Uh oh the mouth breathers on here not goin to like this ...maybe some of them could start another thread bashing JG directly or indirectly

Explains why Saban had him washing his car windows. You can see the end of the interview now. Why yes Butch, I have the perfect role for your skills and knowledge. Welcome aboard...

I mentioned this in another thread but I believe it bears (or behrs, lol) repeating. After reading this article, it makes me look at other threads a bit different. As a matter of fact, it makes me rethink a lot of threads. Especially the ones where we were sayings kids were a bust. I feel bad for the these young men being promised training and coaching and apparently getting neither.

Reactions: FïreBall and Remy
When a HC gets focused on “managing” what goes on off the field vs on the field it’s over. Now we all understand how this mess got created in the first place.

While I could see that our program was rotting from the inside out under Butch I never knew any of what Kongbo is now saying.

Did anybody else know?
Looking back, there were signs. But hindsight alwas brings that clarity.
Just look at the number of players who transferred, trying to get out of UT. How many high guys looked better as freshmen than they ever did again under Butch?

Guess you missed the part where he stated he wished a coach would of come up to him as a man and told him about his position change instead of finding out via social media.

He stated that everyone liked Butch as to not put him in a bad light. He was saying that Butch was liked as a person. He then follows it up by how could you come out and play for a guy like him? (Meaning they didn’t trust him as an actual football coach and person who could develop them)

Good try though. It was Kongbo’s way of not completely throwing Butch under the bus.
Actually I did read that along with the rest. You see it's called context. Yes he mentioned that one thing but it was just a general gripe. It is clear from reading all of what he had to say he felt most of the problems were administrative and outside of the coaching staff. I am not saying Jones shouldn't have been fired. What I am saying is Kongbos statement along with other, former vols statements over the last few years along with the whole using ones eyes thing, shows the real base problem was in the administration all along. From the time Fulmer was fired to the time he was rehired UT sports has been in steady decline and especially the Football program has been a dumpster fire.

I honestly do not think any coach would have been able to succeed under the AD up till now. The revolving door from the president down the line. It's a much bigger problem at an institution like UT which is good ole boy to it's core to deal with so much turnover. CRB was the one bright spot who literally fell in our laps and I thing the only reason he succeeded as well as he did is no one really cared much about men's BB until recently so he was kinda left alone.

Sorry for all the rambling runons. Typing this at work

VN Store

Back