Kongbo Exit Interview

This actually gives me some optimism for this coming season. The difference in year two of a regime that has players meeting twice a day in the offseason versus Butch’s regime at twice a week should be pretty dramatic.

I mentioned this in another thread but I believe it bears (or behrs, lol) repeating. After reading this article, it makes me look at other threads a bit different. As a matter of fact, it makes me rethink a lot of threads. Especially the ones where we were sayings kids were a bust. I feel bad for the these young men being promised training and coaching and apparently getting neither.
... Add in unnecessary injuries to this as well...

Reactions: VolsnRavens
Actually I did read that along with the rest. You see it's called context. Yes he mentioned that one thing but it was just a general gripe. It is clear from reading all of what he had to say he felt most of the problems were administrative and outside of the coaching staff. I am not saying Jones shouldn't have been fired. What I am saying is Kongbos statement along with other, former vols statements over the last few years along with the whole using ones eyes thing, shows the real base problem was in the administration all along. From the time Fulmer was fired to the time he was rehired UT sports has been in steady decline and especially the Football program has been a dumpster fire.

I honestly do not think any coach would have been able to succeed under the AD up till now. The revolving door from the president down the line. It's a much bigger problem at an institution like UT which is good ole boy to it's core to deal with so much turnover. CRB was the one bright spot who literally fell in our laps and I thing the only reason he succeeded as well as he did is no one really cared much about men's BB until recently so he was kinda left alone.

Sorry for all the rambling runons. Typing this at work

No apologies needed. It was still better written than half of the posts on "legitimate" sport sites by supposed "professional" journalists.

Actually I did read that along with the rest. You see it's called context. Yes he mentioned that one thing but it was just a general gripe. It is clear from reading all of what he had to say he felt most of the problems were administrative and outside of the coaching staff. I am not saying Jones shouldn't have been fired. What I am saying is Kongbos statement along with other, former vols statements over the last few years along with the whole using ones eyes thing, shows the real base problem was in the administration all along. From the time Fulmer was fired to the time he was rehired UT sports has been in steady decline and especially the Football program has been a dumpster fire.

I honestly do not think any coach would have been able to succeed under the AD up till now. The revolving door from the president down the line. It's a much bigger problem at an institution like UT which is good ole boy to it's core to deal with so much turnover. CRB was the one bright spot who literally fell in our laps and I thing the only reason he succeeded as well as he did is no one really cared much about men's BB until recently so he was kinda left alone.

Sorry for all the rambling runons. Typing this at work
The Admin sucked. But sole responsibility for prepping and coaching our team fell on Butch Jones’ shoulders. What Kongbo politely said was that Jones was more focused on Admin and managing than he was on “meat and potatoes” coaching.

It’s really not that hard to get. The contrast between Jones and Pruitt is as night and day as is the contrast bet Hart and Fulmer.

New sheriffs in town. Next

One might think Peyton was trying to spare us.

Jones may have been successful at Colorado. They don’t have near the intensity and the PAC12 would be a decent league for his finesse offense. A terrible fit for the SEC unless it’s Florida

The Admin sucked. But sole responsibility for prepping and coaching our team fell on Butch Jones’ shoulders. What Kongbo politely said was that Jones was more focused on Admin and managing than he was on “meat and potatoes” coaching.

It’s really not that hard to get. The contrast between Jones and Pruitt is as night and day as is the contrast bet Hart and Fulmer.

New sheriffs in town. Next
Actually no. He literally said it was not the coaches it was admin. Reading is fundamental.

Actually no. He literally said it was not the coaches it was admin. Reading is fundamental.

Obviously your reading is messed up. Because he specifically stated that Butch wasn’t a developmental coach and this coaching staff is.... lol

Reactions: hexnut
Butch was terrible. Admin might have been terrible too, but a good coach would have over come. Even when Butch had a good season, there was something off. Dobbs and company salvaged the season for him, but they were not a well coached team.

It's always interesting to read a players perspective of things, but us anyone surprised. Butch's offense was dog 💩. It was hard to watch. I know someone will say about how effective it was, but it was the Josh Dobbs show and we didn't give him enough credit while he was here.

It's criminal to see the number of great players on the roster that didn't get used efffectively in his system. He had enough talent to beat just about anyone, but squandered the opportunity. By the end his recruiting sucked and he left us with no OL.

Dooley was a better coach, but was an even worse head coach from the way he ran the organization. The way he handled recruiting and alienated the HS coaches was ridiculous.

I think we have a good coach, but only time will tell. Pruitt is certainly more of a football guy than Butch and Dooley could ever hope to be. Those two are some of the biggest pansies I have ever seen trying to coach football. Jones needs to do something more natural for him like play his trumpet(or whatever pansy ass instrument he played) and stop trying to be something he's not.

This x 10!

If a rival set out to intentionally destroy [us] they would be hard pressed to come up with a more effectacious plan than we put into motion against ourselves. Tragic beyond words.

I feel like their is a parallel story like this somewhere in our Universe right now . . .

This x 10!

If a rival program set out to intentionally destroy UT Football, they would be hard pressed to come up with a more effectacious plan than we (Jones, Curry, et al) put into motion against ourselves. Tragic beyond words.

Almost 30 for 30 worth.

This x 10!

If a rival set out to intentionally destroy [us] they would be hard pressed to come up with a more effectacious plan than we put into motion against ourselves. Tragic beyond words.

I feel like their is a parallel story like this somewhere in our Universe right now . . .

Obviously your reading is messed up. Because he specifically stated that Butch wasn’t a developmental coach and this coaching staff is.... lol
completely different section of the article where Kongbo was answering a different question.

completely different section of the article where Kongbo was answering a different question.

I don’t usually insult people. However, you are not very smart are you? The article basically lit a fire under the former administration and Butch Jones. I don’t care what excuses you try and make, but, Kongbo himself specifically stated that Butch was not a good coach. That was in plain English and anyone who can read can understand that.

we don’t need any validation from ex players to know Butch wasn’t a good coach. The job he did speaks for itself.

635920076907130415-NAS-UT-presser-04.jpg

And keep in mind Peyton tried to convince lyle to go to Colorado

Peyton Manning tried to woo Vols' Butch Jones to Colorado job

"He was selling me on Colorado," Jones said. "He said it was hard for a person from the University of Tennessee to be selling somebody to come to the University of Colorado. I wanted to text him back, 'Come on, I want to go to Tennessee.'"
I have a sense of Manning was trying to save our @$$es as I am sure that he didn't feel good about bringing Butch to Tennessee.

VN Store

Back