Knoxville Restaurants

Foothills Milling Co was superb. The seared scallops were insane and my steak was very well done. My wife got the tempura lobster tails and that too was delicious. I'm looking forward to trying the Walnut Kitchen next to compare.

I hate to hear that you enjoy your steak very well done.

I have a friend visiting for the Georgia game. Anyone have recommendations for restaurants and bars on a game weekend?
What kind of food and price range?

For higher-end, Lonesome Dove, JC Holdway, Oliver Royale downtown. Kitchen 919 or Harvest in Bearden.

More casual: Stock and Barrel, A Dopo, Nama, Chivo, Sweet P's.

I haven't been, but i hear the rooftop bar at Hyatt place is a cool spot. Suttrees for craft beer, vintage video games, and darts.

For higher-end, Lonesome Dove, JC Holdway, Oliver Royale downtown. Kitchen 919 or Harvest in Bearden.

Sweet P’s over Full Service? I haven’t been to either but had heard really good things about the latter. I’m trying to come up with mostly casual options, but have Lonesome Dove on the list I’m giving him.

I haven't been, but i hear the rooftop bar at Hyatt place is a cool spot. Suttrees for craft beer, vintage video games, and darts.

Do you have a particular attraction a first time visitor to Knoxville should see? Anything you’d recommend seeing in GSMNP?

I went to the new restaurant off Kingston Pike, the Storming Crab, and was pleasantly surprised.

It’s mostly a low country broil style restaurant. Maybe a touch overpriced, but my food was excellent. Particularly the mussels in the garlic bag.

Reactions: crusse10
Sweet P’s over Full Service? I haven’t been to either but had heard really good things about the latter. I’m trying to come up with mostly casual options, but have Lonesome Dove on the list I’m giving him.
Absolutely Sweet P’s over anyone other BBQ place in Knoxville. It’s going to be around the same price range and it’s fairly casual.

If you aren't familiar with Full Service, I don't think any of them offer indoor seating. 2 of the 3 are converted gas stations with picnic tables outside. Might be a pro or con depending on the person but worth mentioning.

I'm a big fan of Sweet Ps and usually visit once a month.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
If you aren't familiar with Full Service, I don't think any of them offer indoor seating. 2 of the 3 are converted gas stations with picnic tables outside. Might be a pro or con depending on the person but worth mentioning.

I'm a big fan of Sweet Ps and usually visit once a month.
Umm you need to step up your game bro. I’m there like once a week. Get on my level

Absolutely Sweet P’s over anyone other BBQ place in Knoxville. It’s going to be around the same price range and it’s fairly casual.
Both these guys are friends of mine.

Honestly, they are different and both do a good job at what they do.
I’ve never had better smoked wings than at Sweet p’s.

All the Full Service are outdoor seating. That’s his “thing.”

This town is big enough for several good bbq joints. Both are just that, joints, and not some packaged corporate crap.

If I were recommending something for the out of towner it would be the downtown sweet P’s due to the combo of great food and atmosphere.

Chris owns the worlds fair logo and everything about it is immersed in all things Knoxville.

Do you have a particular attraction a first time visitor to Knoxville should see? Anything you’d recommend seeing in GSMNP?
On a game day: the river front, Vol Navy, Vol walk, and pregame. Unfortunately, I expect the crowd to be very light tomorrow, but that might make it easier to get closer to the players and coaches during the VW.

In the Smokies, depends on your time/fitness. The Alum Cave trail to LeConte is awesome, and you can get sack lunch at the lodge. This is a full day hike with spectacular views and not terribly strenuous. Ramsey Cascades is a shorter, easier hike to a nice waterfall. If you just want to drive, the Foothills Parkway is cool. If you want an easy view, the lookout at Climgmans Dome. Or, if you want to relax and float the Little River, go to Smoky Mountain Outdoor Center in Townsend (look for the red tubes). You can also rent bikes and ride the Greenway trail.

If you have other interests (mountain biking, fishing tour, etc), point me in a direction and I'll help further.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
On a game day: the river front, Vol Navy, Vol walk, and pregame. Unfortunately, I expect the crowd to be very light tomorrow, but that might make it easier to get closer to the players and coaches during the VW.

In the Smokies, depends on your time/fitness. The Alum Cave trail to LeConte is awesome, and you can get sack lunch at the lodge. This is a full day hike with spectacular views and not terribly strenuous. Ramsey Cascades is a shorter, easier hike to a nice waterfall. If you just want to drive, the Foothills Parkway is cool. If you want an easy view, the lookout at Climgmans Dome. Or, if you want to relax and float the Little River, go to Smoky Mountain Outdoor Center in Townsend (look for the red tubes). You can also rent bikes and ride the Greenway trail.

If you have other interests (mountain biking, fishing tour, etc), point me in a direction and I'll help further.

Great information. Thanks for taking the time!

Both these guys are friends of mine.

Honestly, they are different and both do a good job at what they do.
I’ve never had better smoked wings than at Sweet p’s.

All the Full Service are outdoor seating. That’s his “thing.”

This town is big enough for several good bbq joints. Both are just that, joints, and not some packaged corporate crap.

If I were recommending something for the out of towner it would be the downtown sweet P’s due to the combo of great food and atmosphere.

Chris owns the worlds fair logo and everything about it is immersed in all things Knoxville.
The wings are best smoked wings ive ever tasted. On UT gateways they're half price.. Can't beat that.

You won’t be floating anything right now. No rain.

I ate some fried gator at Storming Crab last night with a side of fried okra but unfortunately it didn't help our game today. My friend ordered the 1lb of snow crab legs. She said the seasoning at Seafood Pier is better but she still had a good meal. They are waiting for their liquor license but they do have some brews on tap and a couple ciders.

I ate some fried gator at Storming Crab last night with a side of fried okra but unfortunately it didn't help our game today. My friend ordered the 1lb of snow crab legs. She said the seasoning at Seafood Pier is better but she still had a good meal. They are waiting for their liquor license but they do have some brews on tap and a couple ciders.
I feel bad for Seafood Pier that Storming Crab opened.

I haven't been, but i hear the rooftop bar at Hyatt place is a cool spot.
Suttrees for craft beer, vintage video games, and darts.
It’s not a restaurant, which brings up a good question. Do we have a local drinking spot and brewery thread?
It’s a really cool place but was overrun with college kids when I was there. Suttrees didn’t impress me at all. Felt like a frat house.

Blue Slip Winery brunch was outstanding.
It was so laid back and casual I was concerned at first, but the food was out of this world. Small menu selection but everything on it was good.

Also made my first trip to Schulz Bräu, which I really enjoyed.

Reactions: bigdaddy
Schulz is fantastic

I've heard much differently about Schulz Brau. They don't offer soft drinks of any kind, and if you want water they basically tell you to get some out of the hose out back. The food is average that is IF they haven't run out of it altogether. I've heard even the service is hit or miss, and even on a hit day it's slow. Other than that, a huge selection of some nice beers.

VN Store

Back