Knoxville Restaurants

Didn't realize we were discussing clothiers as tourism. I was just saying that they're great stores lol

I disagree. I almost always come home with new gear when I visit a city with nice downtown/window shopping. I've recently bought unique stuff in Nashville, Asheville, and Highlands.

Didn't realize we were discussing clothiers as tourism. I was just saying that they're great stores lol

Maybe I’m a bit bougie, but when I’m traveling and looking for a hotel, I typically look to see where the Omega/LV/Gucci’s are because they’re typically in the nicer part of town. Gay Street could definitely use a couple of big names to draw more folks.

Not everybody wears a football jersey and Crocs to the Oliver or Lonesome Dove.

I hate to break it to you but Knoxville is not nor never will be "cosmopolitan." Those hoping for a downtown Gucci store are in for an infinite wait. This town is about people in shorts with their dogs who want to drink beer and eat a good burger. That's pretty much it.

And I have been to downtown Asheville, I don't know where you window shopped but every store I saw was either an art studio or catering to hippies.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe I’m a bit bougie, but when I’m traveling and looking for a hotel, I typically look to see where the Omega/LV/Gucci’s are because they’re typically in the nicer part of town. Gay Street could definitely use a couple of big names to draw more folks.

We have urban outfitters but I wonder how another retail store would do. I can’t imagine LV or Gucci. That would just never work here. Would like to see a small grocery like Harris Teeter or Aldi or even a local like Butler and Bailey

We have urban outfitters but I wonder how another retail store would do. I can’t imagine LV or Gucci. That would just never work here. Would like to see a small grocery like Harris Teeter or Aldi or even a local like Butler and Bailey

I’m all for small business, I really am. Hell, I’m a small business owner so it would be a bit hypocritical to not be all for it. With that said, however, big brand business is still mutually beneficial to the area. Gay Street could benefit by having an Outback, Starbucks, Chipotle, etc. You mentioned Urban Outfitters. I thought it was a great move to give them that tax break to renovate and move in. Definitely a step in the right direction. Now, imagine an Apple store, a West Elm (furniture), a middle of the pack “luxury” store like Coach or something of the sort sprinkled in among all the small business, and the place would really be booming. And those are obviously just examples. I know Louis Vuitton is very selective on where they open shop, but hell, Charleston?!

Charleston is OK, but Knoxville has way more potential, in my opinion.

I hate to break it to you but Knoxville is not nor never will be "cosmopolitan." Those hoping for a downtown Gucci store are in for an infinite wait. This town is about people in shorts with their dogs who want to drink beer and eat a good burger. That's pretty much it.

And I have been to downtown Asheville, I don't know where you window shopped but every store I saw was either an art studio or catering to hippies.

I hope it never goes cosmo and Asheville is exactly that.

I’m all for small business, I really am. Hell, I’m a small business owner so it would be a bit hypocritical to not be all for it. With that said, however, big brand business is still mutually beneficial to the area. Gay Street could benefit by having an Outback, Starbucks, Chipotle, etc. You mentioned Urban Outfitters. I thought it was a great move to give them that tax break to renovate and move in. Definitely a step in the right direction. Now, imagine an Apple store, a West Elm (furniture), a middle of the pack “luxury” store like Coach or something of the sort sprinkled in among all the small business, and the place would really be booming. And those are obviously just examples. I know Louis Vuitton is very selective on where they open shop, but hell, Charleston?!

Charleston is OK, but Knoxville has way more potential, in my opinion.
The other things Charleston has.....much more store front. The downtown of Charleston is much larger than Knoxville (thanks to Sherman not burning the city since it’s was pounded w cannon balls). It’s also a port city so you get big money travelers in there. I don’t think an Outback would do very well at all. Am Apple store would do well, as we only have one and it’s always packed. There are already two large furniture stores that have a foothold in Ktown downtown as well as Bliss which does quite well. The bowling alley was a great idea and maybe put a Dave and Busters somewhere downtown? I personally would love to see more rooftop options. We just addded two new hotels and the one in the Farragut building has a private one. One thing they could def use is a real billiards place that is not high brow but upscale.

And again, I could be wrong. Good conversation though! Side note, the UT tailgate store on the square is pretty nice

The other things Charleston has.....much more store front. The downtown of Charleston is much larger than Knoxville (thanks to Sherman not burning the city since it’s was pounded w cannon balls). It’s also a port city so you get big money travelers in there. I don’t think an Outback would do very well at all. Am Apple store would do well, as we only have one and it’s always packed. There are already two large furniture stores that have a foothold in Ktown downtown as well as Bliss which does quite well. The bowling alley was a great idea and maybe put a Dave and Busters somewhere downtown? I personally would love to see more rooftop options. We just addded two new hotels and the one in the Farragut building has a private one. One thing they could def use is a real billiards place that is not high brow but upscale.

And again, I could be wrong. Good conversation though! Side note, the UT tailgate store on the square is pretty nice

As of 2016, Charleston’s population was 134k. Knoxville’s was 186k.

Charleston doesn’t have a 100k seat stadium or a team even close to the caliber of the Vols.

CofC has an enrollment of 11,600. UT has 28,300.

Charleston doesn’t even have an Interstate system. Definitely doesn’t have anything close to I-40 traffic.

Charleston does have a port, yes, where Carnival goes out of. But to my knowledge, that’s the only one.

I’m not bashing Charleston. It’s only an hour drive and it’s great to go down there to eat and shop and all that. All I’m saying is, Knoxville could be a little more than it is.

Reactions: 1 person

Charleston doesn’t have a 100k seat stadium or a team even close to the caliber of the Vols.

Charleston doesn’t even have an Interstate system. Definitely doesn’t have anything close to I-40 traffic.

Charleston does have a port, yes, where Carnival goes out of. But to my knowledge, that’s the only one.

I’m not bashing Charleston. It’s only an hour drive and it’s great to go down there to eat and shop and all that. All I’m saying is, Knoxville could be a little more than it is.

The five Saturday’s a year here are definitely booming. We are doing pretty well the rest of the year as well. Lots of music events and festivals as well as being close to the mountains. I think the reason big retail isn’t here is because of the outlets in pigeonburg

The five Saturday’s a year here are definitely booming. We are doing pretty well the rest of the year as well. Lots of music events and festivals as well as being close to the mountains. I think the reason big retail isn’t here is because of the outlets in pigeonburg

Well, Charleston also has a Tanger outlets as well as a pretty crappy mall that is definitely inferior to West Town. So I’m not really sure if the outlets have much to do with it. I honestly think Knoxville just isn’t on a lot of the big retail radar. Or maybe it’s too close to Nashville and Atlanta?

You think IKEA would crush it in Knoxville?

There is a big difference in a Gucci store and some decent clothiers/home furnishings/electronics/spa-type retailers. Honestly, I detest snobby brand stores. I think there are plenty of people around downtown that would shop at unique retail options.

The only place I can recall buying clothes downtown is at Mast General. There's plenty of room for growth.

There is a big difference in a Gucci store and some decent clothiers/home furnishings/electronics/spa-type retailers. Honestly, I detest snobby brand stores. I think there are plenty of people around downtown that would shop at unique retail options.

The only place I can recall buying clothes downtown is at Mast General. There's plenty of room for growth.

I agree, a ton of room for growth. I mean Knoxville is a beautiful, classic, all American city. Beautiful restaurants, wonderful scenery and ambiance. But it feels strange that there's no where downtown to spend real money. Like if I wanted to spend $4,000 on a nice timepiece (Tudor, Omega, Breitling), I don't have the option.

One would assume the folks who donate $100k a year to sit in an air conditioned box at Neyland would want to spend money on other things every now and then..

Reactions: 1 person
This is MP Demetre Jewelers on King St in Charleston. They carry a variety of watches, ranging from $250 to $20,000. Tudor, Rolex, Omega, Uboat, Victorinox, etc..

That looks just like one of the old buildings around downtown Knoxville. I guess it's just surprising to me that more of the high end shops haven't made their way to downtown yet.

Attachments

• storepicts-0141.jpg
    storepicts-0141.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • o.jpg
    o.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
I agree with the “too many breweries” downtown sentiment. It’s worn out. Downtown Knoxville really needs some better shopping. Look at King St in Charleston and go from there. A perfect balance of restaurants and shops. Plenty of breweries and bars, a lot of restaurants, and even Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Rolex, Omega, Sperry, West Elm, Pottery Barn, just to name a few. There’s a lot of money floating around the pockets of Downtown Knoxville, but it’s like they’re only trying to attract the hipsters on bicycles with $12 to their name.
I’d say at least 50% of that comes from tourist dollars. Historic Charleston is a destination for wealthy travelers.
Downtown Knoxville is not.

TBH, I’m a lot happier with the brands we have, many of which are locally owned businesses.

Bliss, Tori Mason, Earth to Old City. Urban Outfitters. Fizz. Nothing to Fancy. Mast General. Among others. These high end places can drive up rents and drive out the little guy.

But go on complaining. What’s happened in downtown over the last 10 years is wonderful. Several new hotels have opened or are about to open. And they are repurposing historic buildings that were previously in decay.

Reactions: 2 people
Like if I wanted to spend $4,000 on a nice timepiece (Tudor, Omega, Breitling), I don't have the option.

One would assume the folks who donate $100k a year to sit in an air conditioned box at Neyland would want to spend money on other things every now and then..

I know for sure that Markman's carries Omega and Breitling timepieces.

Most of the higher-end shopping is in the older Bearden district. I do wonder if some of it eventually moves downtown, given its new life. Remember that until the past 10-12 years, about the only reason to go downtown was if you were homeless or rode a skateboard. 6 weekends a fall didn't pay the rent.

I know for sure that Markman's carries Omega and Breitling timepieces.

Most of the higher-end shopping is in the older Bearden district. I do wonder if some of it eventually moves downtown, given its new life. Remember that until the past 10-12 years, about the only reason to go downtown was if you were homeless or rode a skateboard. 6 weekends a fall didn't pay the rent.

Markmans only carries Tag and Oris. I believe the only authorized Omega dealer is the Jared over by West Town. Still, buying something like that is an experience. It's nice to get a buzz at a nice little bar in a downtown setting before spending that kind of money :lolabove: It's almost a requirement lmao

not that it's exactly the same thing, but one can at least get a bespoke suit downtown at John H. Daniel

Well, Charleston also has a Tanger outlets as well as a pretty crappy mall that is definitely inferior to West Town. So I’m not really sure if the outlets have much to do with it. I honestly think Knoxville just isn’t on a lot of the big retail radar. Or maybe it’s too close to Nashville and Atlanta?

You think IKEA would crush it in Knoxville?

I think it would save east town mall area

Is your small business in retail or hospitality? Not that it matters just curious

Markmans only carries Tag and Oris. I believe the only authorized Omega dealer is the Jared over by West Town. Still, buying something like that is an experience. It's nice to get a buzz at a nice little bar in a downtown setting before spending that kind of money :lolabove: It's almost a requirement lmao

I bought my Breitling at Markman's, but it's been a few years. Are they no longer a dealer?

I do agree -- it would be more fun to stop by Sutree's for a high-grav offering before dropping four digits on a watch! You might think it would limber up potential buyers, as well...

Last edited:
Not according to their website. I know there’s a Tudor dealer up on the hill by the old Fazolis and Soccer Taco.

Wow Soccer Taco. I had forgotten about that spot. You could get a 32 ounce dos xx for about $2 there. I used to live in a town house that was about 3 minutes from that place.

Between that place, Sawyers and Chick Fil A I gained about 15 lbs.

Does the Charleston figure include Mt. Pleasant? Mt. Pleasant has exploded in the last 10 years.

Charleston is a destination. Knoxville isn't, except for 7 weekends a year.

VN Store

Back