Kesling and Ryan are BRUTAL

A lot of im-posters are brutal in here. I’m good with Bob. Not John Ward. Better than most announcers I have heard.

I get killed every time I say that, but I agree. Ward was a classic radio guy who had some great calls, but he and Bill Anderson weren't exactly a smooth listen all the time. Ward would also drive you crazy sometimes being constantly behind the action.
Yes, I was speaking specifically about the timing. The basketball replays in the early 70s (10:30) were perfect, but of course were made with a silent video and then Ward's voice piped into it. For a live broadcast, you had to turn off the TV when listening to Ward

I listened to the radio for the entire game on Saturday. Kesling is fine. I do think that Ryan steps on the play by play a little too much, but that’ll get better over time.

Idk what your definition of “fine” is but IMO Kesling sucks. And Ryan same. I almost exclusively listen to the radio broadcasts bc I’m on the road constantly. Listen as much as I do and you’ll come to the same conclusion. If not then you and I just have different standards.

Both Kesling and Ryan need to be replaced with announcers who actually have energy and can paint a visual picture of the game with constant down and distance and score updates. It’s not rocket science. I tuned into the MO game late in the first Q and I couldn’t tell if we were winning or losing or what the score was for about 5 minutes no joke.

I’ll trade you guys Mick Hubert for Bob Kesling all day every day.

Kesling’s greatest sin is having to follow arguably the greatest play-by-play radio voice of all time, college or pro. Jon Ward was the gold standard, and whoever succeeded him wouldn’t measure up based on where he set the bar.
Kinda like Jim Mcelwain at Florida

I have no problem with these guys. I am more intent in watching the play, announcers just make it slightly more entertaining.

It's because he's fat.
And Lesser Humans like to pick on fat people.

Bob is fine.

And honestly, Ward was good, but he seemed much better because of the era of Tennessee Football he was commenting.

Poor Kesling has had to call 13 years of bad Tennessee Football.
He's not Ward, but he isn't close to being as bad as some make him out to be.
What I just read……No. we don’t dislike Bob because he’s fat, lol. And John Ward wasn’t just “good” he was GREAT. Gthoh with that nonsense.

Interesting. I didn’t realize there was SO much dislike for Kesling ? I didn’t like him at first, probably because he was NOT John Ward, wow I miss those days. But I got used to him and I’ve mostly enjoyed him. The last couple of years seems like there is more frustration in his voice during calls when we mess up. I’m already frustrated, and I don’t expect sunshine when it’s rain … but don’t make it worse, and I think these guys feed our frustration at times. Maybe he’s lost some of his passion and that’s a sign to either GET passionate or GET out. I don’t know but this has been an interesting topic.

If a change is ever made they need to hire Mike Roth and pay him whatever it takes to get him. He did Virginia Tech games for years and then UCLA, he works for Westwood 1 now. He is the best college play by play man I have ever listened to, not named John Ward!

Yeah . . . That's just a a fact of life right now. Cable is worse than over the air. Satellite is a few seconds worse than cable. Streaming is a few seconds worse than satellite.

I have to turn off my alerts and not take any phone calls during a game because I know I'm 15-20 seconds behind live action on YoutubeTV.
I remember years ago during the Butch era when we played at aTm and I got a phone notification of final score before the plays played out on TV. That was a gut punch because it looked like we had the momentum.

To be honest, he had some really big shoes to fill. I’m not sure anyone would meet the expectations of following John Ward. It’s like they say, “Never follow a comedian that is better than you.”
This is why Elvis insisted on going on before Dewey Cox.

Reactions: Jravol78
It's because he's fat.
And Lesser Humans like to pick on fat people.

Bob is fine.

And honestly, Ward was good, but he seemed much better because of the era of Tennessee Football he was commenting.

Poor Kesling has had to call 13 years of bad Tennessee Football.
He's not Ward, but he isn't close to being as bad as some make him out to be.
Yeah, because of radios propensity to expose those with weight problems..... Those who dislike him don't do so because of weight. Perhaps you're projecting?

My schedule has allowed me to either be in the stadium or in front of a TV, so I can honestly say other than highlights, Ive never had to just listen to the radio for any of Bobs calls...Until the Missouri game. I must say, it was very very bad. We put up 60+ points and you would barely know it. My wife is screaming and getting excited and from the calls, you could barely tell if a TD had been scored. Its next level bad...

I get killed every time I say that, but I agree. Ward was a classic radio guy who had some great calls, but he and Bill Anderson weren't exactly a smooth listen all the time. Ward would also drive you crazy sometimes being constantly behind the action.
A lot of the times when he was "behind the action" it lies at the feet of the medium. Radio does not have the power to insert and coordinate advertising time into the actual game. He actually was a master at updating the listener to a play that occurred when the radio stations were doing local ads. Radio vs. TV is at the core of the conversations illustrating BK's failings. Bob seems to assume you are watching the game with him. JW assumed you needed him to bring the game to you because it was not on TV. Bob is a radio announcer and should have learned a long time ago from the Vol announcers Ward and Lindsay Nelson. Both were great.

Last edited:
Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
A lot of truth here. However, I do not know if I will adjust to Ryan. He is suppose to provide color, but his is as dry as sand in Death Valley .

If Kesling is too boring for many here, and you want contrived, over the top, cartoonish play-by-play with overused, stolen catch phrases from the great Dick Enberg, Mick Hubert would be perfect for Tennessee.

Last edited:
If Kesling is too boring for many here, and you want contrived, over the top, cartoonish play-by-play with overused, stolen catch phrases from the great Dock Enberg, Mick Hubert would be perfect for Tennessee.

Sounds like an upgrade to me. I'll swap even.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Bob is fine. Most people who dislike him grew up listening to Ward. They are just nostalgic. I grew up listening to George Mooney, so I hated Ward when he came along. Today's youngsters will be missing Bob when he is gone because that was their first taste of Tennessee football. Ward was not nearly as great as he is made out to be on here.

w62f.gif

Wrong... Ward was the best ever and kids today don't listen to the radio.

Reactions: CaliVol2009
Is Bob as good as John Ward? NO, but then again no one ever will be either.
Bob is serviceable as a play by play person...he could do with a little more passion, but on that note he's one of those people that when they get 'passionate' their grasp of basic functions like speech leaves them.

My biggest gripe so far this year with the radio broadcasts is just that Bob and Pat need to lock themselves in a room and watch some old game films and work on their timing, delivery, and interactions. I think it was the Pitt game that Bob asked Pat a question and all we got in return was dead air space...awkward as he!!.

Kesling is terrible ... he gets plays messed up ... he will say he runs for 4 yards .. and you think ok its 2 and 6 .. then will says its 2nd and 8 ??? hell ... He is worse in basketball ..I listened to the game not knowing score and it was flipping 15 mins before he gave a score .. he is terrible period ... football and basketball ...

Is Bob as good as John Ward? NO, but then again no one ever will be either.
Bob is serviceable as a play by play person...he could do with a little more passion, but on that note he's one of those people that when they get 'passionate' their grasp of basic functions like speech leaves them.

My biggest gripe so far this year with the radio broadcasts is just that Bob and Pat need to lock themselves in a room and watch some old game films and work on their timing, delivery, and interactions. I think it was the Pitt game that Bob asked Pat a question and all we got in return was dead air space...awkward as he!!.
I’ve been surprised that Pat Ryan isn’t better. He talks at odd times and it seems to take him by surprise when Bob tries to throw to him.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Keeling sucks as a broadcaster and as a person. Ryan is just old and okay

Ward was a legend and one of the best all time. Anderson was okay but I prefer Tim Priest and his personality and love for the Vols

I also agree that John Wilkerson is the best we have in the area currently

Kessling is as pedestrian as they come as a broadcaster and Ryan isn’t much better. Danny White will be the man the day he sends these two packing.

If you don’t believe m, listen for yourself…

Bob's not the best but not the worst. I wish we had a better color commentator though. I feel like we're lacking more there. Bert makes basketball so much better.

Really unfair to compare Kesling to Ward. John Ward was the 'Voice of the Vols' while Kesling does the Vols' football and basketball broadcasts. So growing up listening to John Ward do these broadcasts simply meshed the two as one for me. Tough to beat that, but Bob is about average as broadcasters go. But he does seem to have football math issues., like where the ball will be spotted (after a play or penalty), how many yards a play gained or lost, what down it is, etc. We just won't go into name pronunciations as that would be piling on.

VN Store

Back