Kesling and Ryan are BRUTAL

Kesling is terrible imo. He just doesn’t have much enthusiasm to him imo. Following Ward is tough but Bob is awful.

Reactions: brockytop
Interesting. I didn’t realize there was SO much dislike for Kesling ? I didn’t like him at first, probably because he was NOT John Ward, wow I miss those days. But I got used to him and I’ve mostly enjoyed him. The last couple of years seems like there is more frustration in his voice during calls when we mess up. I’m already frustrated, and I don’t expect sunshine when it’s rain … but don’t make it worse, and I think these guys feed our frustration at times. Maybe he’s lost some of his passion and that’s a sign to either GET passionate or GET out. I don’t know but this has been an interesting topic.
It can't be much fun to call a game knowing your team will likely lose. Bertlekamp picks up in basketball. "MONEY!"

My biggest issue with Bob is his under enthusiasm for big TN plays at times (What a turn of events) and his over enthusiasm for big plays by the opponents almost always. I know he is a homer but I want him to be more of one.

Regardless of his short comings I’d rather listen to him over the TV clowns 99% of the time. Down side to this streaming world we live in, they are never in sync. One is always ahead of the other by as much as 30 seconds.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Never been a fan of Kesling. Doesn’t have the passion or emotion in his voice to be a radio play by play guy.

Reactions: brockytop
Only one Ward. Cannot replace a guy like that. The days of learning to actually call a radio game and paint a picture are over. However, this is not Pro football where you have to have some neutrality. If you are “The Guy “that calls for whatever network the school has then be as much as a homer to that schoolas you can. Excitement is all I ask for

Who cares. You either...
1.) listen to the TV announcers
2.) claim to watch on TV and listen to the radio despite it NEVER lining up
3.) listen to the radio broadcast on the way home then complain because it is not someone who last announced the games in 1999.

I do option 2. So what it doesn't line up. I've watched enough football to not need TV announcers and if there is confusion on what I saw, in just a second I'll hear it from Kessling. That job is harder that it may seem.

What Kessling is really good for is basketball. You get some TV guy on there, like Dick Vitale. Some of those guys can start telling a story and ignore 3 trips up and down the floor. When there is a foul, it's nice to know how many fouls the guy has or the team fouls. TV guys hardly ever say that. Kessling gives you that data every time. (Ward was good at that, but I think the system he put in place with his spotters and stats guys was adopted by Kessling) ..

Ryan truly sounds like he is 80 years old. Wish they’d give the job to Eric Ainge.
I wonder that and also why SEC Network hasn't offered Ainge anything TV wise...he's got to be better than McElroy.
All that guy does is repeat what the other guy just said and play with the electronic pen...

One of the few mistakes Ward ever made. This one was a doozy, however.
I don't know that it was a mistake of Ward's. Kesling had been a loyal employee and great Vols' fan during all those years working for the Vol network. There was simply no way to know what kind of play-by- play guy Kesling would be were he given the job. I suppose in hindsight you're correct

Vol fans been bitchin about this since 1999. When are you gonna learn to move the F on?

I wonder that and also why SEC Network hasn't offered Ainge anything TV wise...he's got to be better than McElroy.
All that guy does is repeat what the other guy just said and play with the electronic pen...
Agreed.

When the only reason for keeping Bob is because it wasn't his fault for following John, that isn't enough. It's time he and fans around here quit leaning on that crutch. Being just ok, or a nice guy doesn't mean you get a job for life. There are too many talented guys that can do this job and make it better. Bob can be here another 20 years guys, is he who you want to listen to for that long, bad enough we've let him pass by this long.

Oh, and get rid of Pat too. Loved passionate Tim. Find someone with some personality and let them be a critical homer fan.

Reactions: FranklinVol16

VN Store

Back