Kesling and Ryan are BRUTAL

Ryan explained after the play that, in his opinion, Banks would have had an easy touchdown had he gone the other way.

I heard it…….just thought it was hilarious he said that and Banks proceeds to run it to the 1 yard line.

Maybe just hold up on the “oh NO”……until you see what’s actually happening.

I may have orange colored glasses, but I listen to other SEC games on Saturdays while I'm working around the house and the VOLS aren't playing. While Bob isn't great, he is better than a lot of them in this conference. I refuse to listen to the Gator's play by play guy or to Eli Gold. Eli talks thru his nose and it drives me nuts.
There's a guy that does some of the games for Westwood One that talks like he has a mouth full of marshmallows.
Can we get rid of Gary Danielson on CBS instead?

I heard it…….just thought it was hilarious he said that and Banks proceeds to run it to the 1 yard line.

Maybe just hold up on the “oh NO”……until you see what’s actually happening.

Perhaps -- I'll have to watch the replay again. If Banks had an open lane to an easy touchdown, though, I'm sure the coaches have pointed it out to him and will want him to take it next time.

Perhaps -- I'll have to watch the replay again. If Banks had an open lane to an easy touchdown, though, I'm sure the coaches have pointed it out to him and will want him to take it next time.

he had one side almost totally open……but there would have been 1 guy……..all or nothing.

Who cares. You either...
1.) listen to the TV announcers
2.) claim to watch on TV and listen to the radio despite it NEVER lining up
3.) listen to the radio broadcast on the way home then complain because it is not someone who last announced the games in 1999.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

Kesling is just much more into basketball. Don't think he likes football that much lol

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
If a game is a nailbiter it helps me to listen to the Vol Network. I don't know why but I can't hardly watch the close ones at the end.

There are probably 30-40 guys doing play-by-play for high school football in Tennessee who could do as well as, or better than Buckeye Bob Kesling.

Ryan might be improved on, but he's not that bad, better than I expected.

Reactions: MRORANGEPANTS
I am neutral about Kesling. I can listen to him because he is adequate at play by play. He'll never be John Ward but neither will anyone else. The other guy needs to go. It's like he wants to be the number one and bullies his way in to get on the air regardless of whether it's his time to talk or not.
JMHO

I’ve always been a big defender of Bob. He’s not the best but he’s been around for a while and just seems like a good guy.

However, I wasn’t able to watch the mizzou game and had to listen to whole game on radio. I couldn’t help but think “why does Bob sound more excited when mizzou makes a big play than when UT does?” He really did, I’m not exaggerating

I didn't notice it in the Mizzou game, but I have on other occasions. I too like Kesling, but what you identify is a real problem.

I am neutral about Kesling. I can listen to him because he is adequate at play by play. He'll never be John Ward but neither will anyone else. The other guy needs to go. It's like he wants to be the number one and bullies his way in to get on the air regardless of whether it's his time to talk or not.
JMHO

I am too………but that’s what makes it kid of boring…….I think he is as well.

Kessling is as pedestrian as they come as a broadcaster and Ryan isn’t much better. Danny White will be the man the day he sends these two packing.

If you don’t believe m, listen for yourself…

I don’t think it’s that bad, I love Pat Ryan he is hilarious his sense of humor is just dry.

Bumbling Bob sucks and it has nothing to do with following John Ward.
He never explains time left.
He rarely ever explains proper down and distance. How does a 5 yard run on 1st and 10 turn into 2nd and 8?
He doesn't get the players names right about half of the time.
He doesn't describe the play accurately.
He has more enthusiasm for the opponent.
"What a turn of events" - that alone should have got him fired.

The guy sucks at his job. The day he retires or is removed will be a great day for th Big Orange.

When listening to Bob call a game, usually when I happen to be driving, I forget that the game is on, and my mind wanders…..

Wonder what’s for dinner tonight? Man, I need to get the grass cut tomorrow. Wow, that house has nice landscaping, I should plant some of those shrubs.

That’s a true account, no exaggeration. And, quite the indictment on Ole Bob. 👎🏻

Bumbling Bob sucks and it has nothing to do with following John Ward.
He never explains time left.
He rarely ever explains proper down and distance. How does a 5 yard run on 1st and 10 turn into 2nd and 8?
He doesn't get the players names right about half of the time.
He doesn't describe the play accurately.
He has more enthusiasm for the opponent.
"What a turn of events" - that alone should have got him fired.

The guy sucks at his job. The day he retires or is removed will be a great day for th Big Orange.

What this guy says........all day long. Can't listen to Kesling

he had one side almost totally open……but there would have been 1 guy……..all or nothing.

I can't get a conclusive angle. Banks cuts sharply right around the 21 yard line, and I'm assuming that this is when Ryan made his comment. It looks to me like Banks would have had a lot of open field if he had cut left, but the camera doesn't show enough of the field for me to be certain. In any event, I'm satisfied with how the play worked out 😁

Reactions: JoAllan
I feel like the hate on bob thing is like the cool thing to do now for some reason, and I don’t get it.. he’s not Ward, but it could be a lot worse
It's because he's fat.
And Lesser Humans like to pick on fat people.

Bob is fine.

And honestly, Ward was good, but he seemed much better because of the era of Tennessee Football he was commenting.

Poor Kesling has had to call 13 years of bad Tennessee Football.
He's not Ward, but he isn't close to being as bad as some make him out to be.

I agree with @UTK, Bob seems more interested when he calls the basketball games. I think Bert Bertelkamp gets him fired up (as much as Bob can get fired up) and it really helps his energy for the call. Bob is a boring play by play announcer for football. I loved John and Bill (see avi) and Kesling had huge shoes to fill. I gave him a few years to get adjusted but he's just not improved much over the 20+ years calling VOLS football games. Mike Keith should have been "The Voice of the Vols" when Ward retired. John Wilkerson would have been my second choice.

Bob Kesling was the sports anchor on Channel 10 when I was young. I never dreamed he would have taken over when John Ward retired.

Reactions: feathersax
Unpopular opinion but Bob is OK, would be way more popular if he called games in an era that we we good

I think this is correct. I thought he had some nice calls on Saturday (especially the 92-yard touchdown run). He'll never rival Ward, but, when the team gives him more exciting plays, I think we'll find we have a more exciting announcer.

VN Store

Back