Kelley Jolly Harper - Lady Vols Coach

I'm not sure what is meant by this... we don't have to take the 8 championship banners down just because we hire someone who didn't go to school here.

I am just saying that, if I'm Coach Fulmer, I try to have someone who played for Pat on my list of candidates, and maybe talk to them first. If they are not a viable candidate, that's OK. It's not the end of the world. However, there are a lot of advantages to hiring someone with a proud history in our program.

I've been watching Dawn Staley since she arrived in Columbia (I live just 50 miles away from their campus) and am very much impressed with her coaching acumen and her unwavering devotion to her players, and theirs' to her. She knows how to effectively develop her talent and how to win...big time. She's won a natty and, if she remains at USCjr., I'd bet on her winning at least one more of the biggest of WBB trophies. With that same position in Knoxville, we'd have a sure-fire championship winner and numerous shots at the big one. That said: It would take a nation-leading salary and unabated control over the LVBB program to just make her even think about leaving the Soda City...and I still doubt she's ever leaving her comfy nest there.

Now. Here's the caveat. As far as I can figure, MSU's roster's talent rating isn't anywhere near as highly touted as is that of the game chicks'. Despite this, Ms. Staley has three prominent thorns in her side regarding coaches she can't seem to beat. Those three are UConn's Geno Auriemma, Notre Dame's Muffet McGraw, and...yep...down in Starkville...Vic Schaefer at little MSU. If Fulmer, et al, would lay a beautiful spread on the offering table, including stuffing a Brinks truckload into his bank account, I have a feeling ol' Vic maybe-just-maybe would eagerly hop on that proverbial "plane" to Knoxville and snag a chomp of all that tasty bait. Maybe-just maybe. Whomever may get UTAD's big offer, let's ONLY go after someone who's figured out how to achieve a natty. Yes?

Please don’t forget about Tara Vaderveer and Stanford.

If CPF wants to keep it in the family, CKJH is the only choice. And a very good one.

Based on his statement I have faith that he’s going for the best coach possible. Not just someone from within the Lady Vol family. She’s had a good season this year but that does not make her a “very good choice” her track record is shaky at best. A bunch of losing season in the ACC at NC State and then some mediocre years at MO State until this season. She’s never been beyond the second round of ANY post season tournament (NIT or NCAA) until this season. That’s not elite if you ask me. I do quite like her, but I firmly believe we will be getting a coach who has been to the final four already.

I also suspect if she’s chosen we will have a bunch of transfers. Someone with a reputation like Walz will be able to keep the current roster mostly intact I think.

Replace CHW with Kelley Jolly Harper now. She played for Pat Summit as the point guard winning 3-National Championship titles. She served on the staff of two winning coaches, Joe Campi of Auburn and Wes Moore at UTC. Then she was a success as a coach at Western North Carolina. She took over a losing Missouri State program. Now in her third year, she guided them to being a "Sweet 16 Team" scoring upsets on three other highly rated teams to get there. Bring her home now. She can restore the Lady Vols to the days of Pat Summit.
But remember HW had all these qualifications also, just saying.

I have watched her tournament games and she is a pretty good coach and I believe she would do well in K-town.
Yep she can coach compared to warlick, but so could almost any college or high school coach. I really loved her when she played in the 90’s. But hiring her would be a major gamble. U.T. can’t afford to gamble now, the program is in such disarray, got to go with a proven coach with a track record. Not that it makes it a sure thing.

This should not be about what someone wants to do it should be about what they have already done. We need a proven Final Four caliber coach. Not someone who wants to be a Final Four coach, has to be the right hire, not the next hire. Every single person who interviews will say their goal is to win national championships but the hire needs to be someone that’s already been really close or who has done it. Otherwise firing Holly was in vain.

Reactions: Momto2
Make no mistake. The historic program will help get a coach, but money will make a person move.

Hire no coach without any experience - Lawson
Hire no assistants- Ivey
Hire no coach in a non power 5 conference - KJ Harper, etc
Who is left?
Jeff Waltz
Wes Moore
Scott Rueck
Kelly Graves

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I’m so happy for KJH success. And I’m all for it.
This coaching decision is big. Big if game but...
What if we don’t go with her, she ends up at some other big program, has amazing success and we’re left to mediocrity?!

That’s my one thing I have been thinking about. I know it’s a big if and I can’t foresee the future but I just hope we don’t kick ourselves in the ass if we pass on KJH.

I like Waltz &. Hammond. I feel that Hammond won’t be at UT for even 5 seasons. A desperate NBA may call & she will follow her dream. ( See Lane Kiffin)

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back