Kelley Jolly Harper - Lady Vols Coach

And you forgot to mention her dismal record at NC State before she was fired. She is right where she needs to be. We have had the present experiment go on waaaaay too long. There are only a handful of coaches worthy of the position as head coach of the Lady Vols and Kellie is NOT one of them. Back up the Brinks truck. Bring in a stellar court general.

This keeps getting mentioned, with no context, which is tiresome.

She followed Kay Yow after Yow died of breast cancer. It was an impossible situation, complicated by the fact that the athletic director was Yow’s sister. Her record was not good enough following the legend.

It appears that she has learned a lot from that experience, and has put that learning to good use. Frankly, I would rather have a coach who has experienced failure and come back from it to have great success.

She knows how to coach ‘em up. She knows how to game plan, as evidenced by the multple upsets. Her teams get better throughout the year.

And most of all, she has built a winning culture within her program. Listen to what her players say: “Whatever she says, we do.”

She is going to move on from Mo State at some point, and take some major college program to great success. That move should be to the Lady Vols.

This is not a rebuilding job.
I'm curious. What would you consider a rebuilding job? What state does a program need to be in to need rebuilding?

It's probably just a matter of semantics. Call it re- whatever you want. Reclaim, rescue, restore, reset, whatever. I guess it also depends on expectations for the future. If you're ok with the current ash heap, first get help, but ok then you don't need a rebuild.

However the task of the next coach is labeled, all I want is a product that is fun to watch and follow again. Be somewhat consistent and definitely improve with experience. Make progress. Have fun. Be fun. Not crazy over-expectation, right?

The past few seasons around here have been brutal and painful, nothing you want to spend money on as a sports hobby. Watching the tourney games last night, I see packed houses and sharp, focused, highly competitive teams in exciting games and I remember how much fun that was. Recreate that.

She is doing well, maybe a little less pressure, so if she is offered the job, she might take it? :)

If offered the UT LV coaching job, Harper would be paid more than double the less than $300,000 that she is being paid now. Warlick is now paid around $650,000. Nikki Caldwell Fargus, a former LV assistant under Pat Summit, is currently paid $900,000 per year at LSU...she and LSU women did not make it to the NCAA tournament either. Harper had only her first season at Missouri State with a loosing record (14-17) and in the next 5 years won their conference championship twice to being a "Sweet 16" participant this year...she is a winner. Bring her home to Tennessee.

I'd offer Kelley a 7-year incentive laden contract starting at a base salary of 600k with a 5% yearly increase.

Base salary:
Yr 1- $600k
Yr 2- $630k
Yr-3- $661k
Yr-4- $694k
Yr-5- $729k
Yr-6- $765k
Yr-7- $804k

* Performance incentives would be based on:
Home Attendance
Win Total
Wins vs top 25 teams
Conference wins
Conference postseason wins
Reaching the sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four, Title game
Winning the National Championship.

* I'd renegotiate and give Kelley a pay raise if she reached the Final Four.
* A buyout would be set at 50% of the previous year's salary.

That being said, Jeff Walz and Brenda Frese would be options 1 & 2.

It appears that she has learned a lot from that experience, and has put that learning to good use. Frankly, I would rather have a coach who has experienced failure and come back from it to have great success.
Me too. Same thing happens when Gail Gas name comes up over her Texas kerfuffle. It's real grown up working life. Sometimes you screw up or the situation wasn't right so what next? Get better and move on. I think the problem is around these parts, we're not familiar with the concept of putting learning to good use. Haven't had that in a while.
Ridiculous notion that it should be someone who played for Pat.
Equally ridiculous notion that it shouldn't be. If the best choice also happens to be from the Pat tree all the better. Beloved alum definitely a bonus if there is actually blowback from the mythical blue haired Holly loving hord. Also probably brings far faster initial fan acceptance and interest.

Family ties should be thought of as a good add-on, but not near a deciding factor. Should certainly not rule anyone out though.

Ridiculous notion that it should be someone who played for Pat. Bama fans had the same dumb idea about football coaches and Bear Bryant until they finally woke up and embraced the greatest college football coach of all time
I may have missed it but I have not seen nor I have said it had to be someone who played for PAT. Most of us said that we think Kellie should be considered. Nicki should not. I would love to have Wes Moore talked to and Brenda Freese and neither played for PAT. You can bet Fulmer is not going to dish out big bucks on a big name coach!!!!!

I'd offer Kelley a 7-year incentive laden contract starting at a base salary of 600k with a 5% yearly increase.

Base salary:
Yr 1- $600k
Yr 2- $630k
Yr-3- $661k
Yr-4- $694k
Yr-5- $729k
Yr-6- $765k
Yr-7- $804k

* Performance incentives would be based on:
Home Attendance
Win Total
Wins vs top 25 teams
Conference wins
Conference postseason wins
Reaching the sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four, Title game
Winning the National Championship.

* I'd renegotiate and give Kelley a pay raise if she reached the Final Four.
* A buyout would be set at 50% of the previous year's salary.

That being said, Jeff Walz and Brenda Frese would be options 1 & 2.
Kellie makes $246000 now and an incentive if she is coach of the year which she is and $100000 if she is still at MO state in mid april of 2020 I think. I know that her husband is her main assistant and with Tennessees nepotism rules that would have to be worked around as Ralph and Karen. Not sure how its handled with LVs volleyball coach ER and her husband assistant. JMHO as always!!

This keeps getting mentioned, with no context, which is tiresome.

She followed Kay Yow after Yow died of breast cancer. It was an impossible situation, complicated by the fact that the athletic director was Yow’s sister. Her record was not good enough following the legend.

She knows how to coach ‘em up. She knows how to game plan, as evidenced by the multple upsets. Her teams get better throughout the year.

And most of all, she has built a winning culture within her program. Listen to what her players say: “Whatever she says, we do.”

She is going to move on from Mo State at some point, and take some major college program to great success. That move should be to the Lady Vols.

I agree with this. I think it would be a great asset to have played at UT and won championships, but you have to have a capable coach first. I know nothing about her career thus far, but if what you are saying is accurate, then I hope Fulmer has her at or near the top of the list, and at least talks to her.

The UT brand is still very strong, because of our history. No reason to not embrace the past if we can make it work.

LOL at the amount of Kelliemania that has broken out this morning. Me too! Just the idea of Kellie being the next coach, especially after seeing that badass little team of hers, makes me stupid happy for all the wrong reasons. Of course there's a big ole element of romanticized nostalgia for my very fave LV era in there and it is based on one tourney run and in spite of whatever at NC State. I was lukewarm on the Kellie idea up until last night. Irrational, I know. I blame desperation.

Sounds like some of you folks think Jolly-Harper is Pat Summitt reincarnate. You are already comparing her to the incomparable. If she's smart she won't come if offered. She'll continue to develop her resume and build her own legacy elsewhere. I admire Pat Summitt wholeheartedly but let's allow her to rest in peace and get a coach hired who will embrace this program's and Summit's tradition while building their own legacy. And while I'm at it, I don't care if the new coach is male or female, black or white, gray or straight, former LV or not. And my criteria certainly don't include talks like Pat, walks like Pat, dresses like Pat and has that same "steely eyed glare" as Pat. If your desire is for the new coach to be Pat, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Sounds like some of you folks think Jolly-Harper is Pat Summitt reincarnate. You are already comparing her to the incomparable. If she's smart she won't come if offered. She'll continue to develop her resume and build her own legacy elsewhere. I admire Pat Summitt wholeheartedly but let's allow her to rest in peace and get a coach hired who will embrace this program's and Summit's tradition while building their own legacy. And while I'm at it, I don't care if the new coach is male or female, black or white, gray or straight, former LV or not. And my criteria certainly don't include talks like Pat, walks like Pat, dresses like Pat and has that same "steely eyed glare" as Pat. If your desire is for the new coach to be Pat, you'll be sorely disappointed.
Do not know about who the gray person may be and anyone who is the same demeaner as Pat. If you are taking about Kellie you are sorely wrong. You have not watched her games or miked up while coaching the game. I would say nearly the anti PAT but you like all of us is entitled to our opinion!

And, yes, I now see the predictive text "gray" rather than "gay".

I'm curious. What would you consider a rebuilding job? What state does a program need to be in to need rebuilding?

It's probably just a matter of semantics. Call it re- whatever you want. Reclaim, rescue, restore, reset, whatever. I guess it also depends on expectations for the future. If you're ok with the current ash heap, first get help, but ok then you don't need a rebuild.

However the task of the next coach is labeled, all I want is a product that is fun to watch and follow again. Be somewhat consistent and definitely improve with experience. Make progress. Have fun. Be fun. Not crazy over-expectation, right?

The past few seasons around here have been brutal and painful, nothing you want to spend money on as a sports hobby. Watching the tourney games last night, I see packed houses and sharp, focused, highly competitive teams in exciting games and I remember how much fun that was. Recreate that.
We have a loaded roster. A good coach will be able to come here and win immediately.

This is her 6th year at MSU and no, you can't have her.

My son and my money went to Missouri State, and I love their women’s BB program, but at her present rate of success, one of the Power 5 conferences will have her on their radar,that being the case, no disrespect to MSU, but I would love to see her with the Big Orange.

We have a loaded roster. A good coach will be able to come here and win immediately.
Agree to disagree. Absolutely nothing I've seen in real time on the real court makes me think this roster is "loaded". There's potential, but if there's one thing I've learned its that potential does not necessarily end up as productive talent. I know a ton of that is on Holly, but there are also questions whether the type players recruited to her antiquated philosophy are actually the type who wins in the SEC now. New coach will have some major makeovers to do. Lots of fundamental bball skills to instill. Maybe most tricky of all, a really sick culture to fix. Big tasks.

Whoever Tennessee decides they want they will get. Get over it, the almighty dollar wins every time.

Would probably just have to match to get her home. That being said, I'm no women's basketball expert so who knows if she is the best fit, sounds good though!
They better do more than just match. That would be classless.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I believe the girls that are there now are talented. The question is, is there attitude too far gone for a new coach to work with?

Agree to disagree. Absolutely nothing I've seen in real time on the real court makes me think this roster is "loaded". There's potential, but if there's one thing I've learned its that potential does not necessarily end up as productive talent. I know a ton of that is on Holly, but there are also questions whether the type players recruited to her antiquated philosophy are actually the type who wins in the SEC now. New coach will have some major makeovers to do. Lots of fundamental bball skills to instill.
Gotta agree with you. The players are all behind their peers on the learning curve, unless they were find someone else to work with them...because it's clear Holly wasn't up to task. Teaching them how to follow an actual playbook and perfecting the execution will take time. But given the athleticism, size and potential on the roster, there's no reason that it won't all be clicking together come January under the right coach.

Mulkey and Schaefer have to turn Phil down before he starts looking in the bargain bin. If he offers KJH without going after a championship winning coach first, you may as well put a fork in the Lady Vols for the next few decades.

VN Store

Back