Kavanaugh Confirmation

No it is the job of the Senate judiciary committee to review, vet, and make the recommendation. It always has been. Until the Dims weaponized the vote with Bork, Thomas, etc...

I'm generally opposed to nonsense, as well as the simple majority confirmations. But as long as the confirmations remain simple majority, I'll tolerate the grilling, from either side.

I'm generally opposed to nonsense, as well as the simple majority confirmations. But as long as the confirmations remain simple majority, I'll tolerate the grilling, from either side.
The general opinion of the Senate en masse is neither desired or required since the judiciary committee handles any relevant vetting. The only time you hear from the body as a whole now is when they’re trying to obstruct the nominee. Kavanaugh now and Gorsuch just prior.

If the Dims wanted to control SCOTUS appointments then they should have won the damn election.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirVol
The general opinion of the Senate en masse is neither desired or required since the judiciary committee handles any relevant vetting. The only time you hear from the body as a whole now is when they’re trying to obstruct the nominee. Kavanaugh now and Gorsuch just prior (yes I know which party was behind that).

If the Dims wanted to control SCOTUS appointments then they should have won the damn election.
Thus, the haste

Again. Repubs hold POTUS and the Senate. That isn’t going to change.

It's at least probable, but why take chances?

Kavanaugh, by coincidence, distinguished himself by having written extensively his belief that a sitting president shouldn't be burdened by civil or criminal prosecution, or investigation.

Really a coincidence? Maybe.

Kavanaugh, by coincidence, distinguished himself by having written extensively his belief that a sitting president shouldn't be burdened by civil or criminal prosecution, or investigation.

So the senate judiciary needs to cover that then during confirmation hearings starting this week and let’s get it the hell over with!

Make no mistake however the individual who replaces Justice Kennedy will be the choice of Donald J Trump. The Dims lost this one in 2016 too and need to move the hell on

I really believe the documents they're withholding will show Kavanaugh lied/obfuscated during his 2006 confirmation hearings for the DC circuit. That would likely torpedo his chances at confirmation (or at least create a large public outcry--after all, the GOP would confirm Ted Bundy or Hannibal Lector as long as he would undo Roe v. Wade and stick by Citizens United).

I really believe the documents they're withholding will show Kavanaugh lied/obfuscated during his 2006 confirmation hearings for the DC circuit. That would likely torpedo his chances at confirmation (or at least create a large public outcry--after all, the GOP would confirm Ted Bundy or Hannibal Lector as long as he would undo Roe v. Wade and stick by Citizens United).

No you do not. You are trolling.

Reactions: AirVol
You know, the vote is already drawn up and having these hearings isn't going to change anyone's mind. It's just yet another way for some to get their 30 second soundbites on CNN or Fox.

Skip it. Vote already.

Could have something to do with the Constitution stating the same.

Kagan had no judicial record to review. Kavanaugh has over 300 opinions on record from the bench. They know exactly what kind of Judge he will be and that’s what bothers them. He respects the Constitution.
None of the justices respect the Constitution. Thomas is probably the closest (to early to rule on Gorsuch) but even he falls way short. The justices' job is to give cover for an ever expanding government. Self - refereeing doesn't work.

None of the justices respect the Constitution. Thomas is probably the closest (to early to rule on Gorsuch) but even he falls way short. The justices' job is to give cover for an ever expanding government. Self - refereeing doesn't work.

Thomas and Alito have consistently been constructionists. To say otherwise is foolish.

Could have something to do with the Constitution stating the same.

It either does or it doesn't.

If the Constitution explicitly stated so, there would be no question. The fact that it isn't settled, makes Kavanaugh's nomination more suspect in my view.

Last edited:
Thomas and Alito have consistently been constructionists. To say otherwise is foolish.
Well then call me foolish but I say otherwise. Alito generally votes in favor of expanded police powers and against any restriction of police powers. Thomas, although generally good on other issues, does the same to a lessor degree. They (all the justices) generally limit rights to the Bill of Rights at best if we're lucky while ignoring the 9 th amendment which states
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

The idea that the govt (Supreme Court) is going to guard against govt encroachment brings to mind the phrase "fox guarding the henhouse".

Reactions: n_huffhines
Since we've moved from nomination to the confirmation process, I thought I'd start a new thread. What better way to start than this doozy. The first is grassley demanding the production of ALL of Kagan's docs from her time in the WH counsel's office

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4741788/grassley-kagan-documents

Now, when the shoe is on the other foot, he wants to proceed to confirmation hearings when only a small fraction of Kavanaugh's documents from his days in the WH counsel's office have been produced.

Anyone care to defend?

I won’t defend I’ll just make a statement , the Dems can’t stop it , try as they may he’s going to be approved . Now we wait for RBG “ retires “ .

You know, the vote is already drawn up and having these hearings isn't going to change anyone's mind. It's just yet another way for some to get their 30 second soundbites on CNN or Fox.

Skip it. Vote already.

They can't stop it grand and they know it

It only matters if a few Republicans also vote no. Although it seems more likely that a few Democrats will vote yes.

There’s really only one goal , put as many on the Supreme Court as you can get , it can change the country if you can get the majority

Reactions: NurseGoodVol
There’s really only one goal , put as many on the Supreme Court as you can get , it can change the country if you can get the majority

True.. I won't pretend I'm in favor of Kavanaugh, but some readings of his past opinions suggest he's not such a good pairing for the Republicans either.

All I can do is share my thoughts, and some distain for the circumstances.

VN Store

Back