JG 2020

By all means if Bailey or another guy is better he should start immediately. I just don’t see that as being the case right off the bat. Hopefully I’m wrong as we could obviously benefit from having even better players.

The guy with the best shot of beating JG at this point is Maurer. The cult doesn't like that... which is why they spend a lot of time attacking Maurer.

Maurer has a lot of issues. He plays instinctive which is good... until he reads things wrong then it is very bad. He creates when things break down but that becomes bad when he tries to do too much. He didn't manage the run game nearly as well as JG. But really... this is all within reasonable expectations for a true Fr. If he goes to work in the film room and weight room then he can be the guy to replace JG before next September.

It is worth repeating (a lot) that the coaches were willing to game plan around his strengths and make him the starter. They benched JG and Maurer played better for a half vs UGA than JG has at any point in his career. But his injury changed all of that. When he came back he just didn't show the confidence he had before. That's also something he has to overcome.

JG could end up the starter again... but he will ALWAYS limit the O by being late and slow with his reads.

Nah. Sometimes you’re supposed to find soft spots against zone defenses. Our WR’s struggled doing this as they’d run through the soft spot and into coverage.
No. Not really. The QB and WR have to recognize the same soft spot. The QB cannot wait until the WR is in the soft spot or else it disappears almost every time. He has to lead the receiver into that spot. He has to anticipate. JG doesn't do that well.

Reactions: cgrish
I would imagine that JG will play most of the time this season while Bailey learns the offense unless Maurer or Shrout beats him out. If that happens, then there will be some transfers imho. I don't see a true freshman beating out JG

No, it wasn’t JG. Could he have been better? Sure. But he still threw for 300+ yards...where’s the complaint about the defense giving up 200+ rushing yards? Or Chandler “fumbling” aka dropping a simple swing route to begin the game. It’s multiple things, a lot of you guys (not all) like to put all of the blame on JG, and that’s not fair, or right.
Complaint about 200+ rushing yards?
That happens when you throw an interception, fumble, and can't keep your team on the field against an option offense.

Threw for 300+ yards.
80 of those yards and a TD came in garbage time - under 2minutes, down by two scores, with the clock running out.

Chandler "fumble"
On a simple swing route the ball shouldn't come in at 100+mph.

GaSt isn't entirely on JG. Yes the defense was bad. JG in no way played good and we could have won with better QB play.
The stats from that game are not indicative of JG being a good QB.

No. Not really. The QB and WR have to recognize the same soft spot. The QB cannot wait until the WR is in the soft spot or else it disappears almost every time. He has to lead the receiver into that spot. He has to anticipate. JG doesn't do that well.
Wrong

Won't be in there long if he starts 2020 like he started 2019. He still doesn't go through his progressions and stares down his receivers. No touch on passes is also a problem, in the red zone especially.. Possible to fix everything except the touch deal.
After 4 years in college, none of his issues can be fixed imo, he is who he is....and it’s not nearly good enough.

No disrespect K town king if your related to JG. I mean no I’ll will towards the kid. But I am tired of seeing him represent TN. He doesnt have SEC talent and has hogged meaningful development PT for others
There is a difference between not a great SEC QB, which he has not been, and doesn't have SEC talent.

If you at in the top half of all SEC passing stats you are a SEC talent. Just not all conference.

He will be the third or so ranked SEC QB preseason.

There is a difference between not a great SEC QB, which he has not been, and doesn't have SEC talent.

If you at in the top half of all SEC passing stats you are a SEC talent. Just not all conference.

He will be the third or so ranked SEC QB preseason.
It’s like he’s running in sand

2019 SEC Stat Rankings with 4 multi year starters in the receiving group

3rd in Yards Per Attempt
4th in QBR
7th in Completion %
7th in Passing TD's
9th in Completions
9th in Attempts
3rd Most Interceptions

No where near the top of the league in the stats that actually show production.....

Somehow those numbers are supposed to drastically improve all while losing 3 of our top 4 receiving targets....

2019 SEC Stat Rankings with 4 multi year starters in the receiving group

3rd in Yards Per Attempt
4th in QBR
7th in Completion %
7th in Passing TD's
9th in Completions
9th in Attempts
3rd Most Interceptions

No where near the top of the league in the stats that actually show production.....

Somehow those numbers are supposed to drastically improve all while losing 3 of our top 4 receiving targets....

Dude, as we've been told previously, it's all about "passing efficiency" and PFF-rated "Big Time Throws™".

That's the only true measure of a college quarterback.

Jared Lorenzen had pretty good stats, Ryan Leaf even had amazing stats. He suffered the same issue as JG. No accuracy, had to see open WR

After these comments, if I’m JG I transfer simply because of the ****** fans who complain after being lead to 6 straight wins. Bunch of spoiled brats around here.
Being led? Dude, Guarantano played well in 2 or 3 of those 6 wins. In others he was giving other team points, missing throws, taking dumb sacks, etc. our defebse anchored the team in the 6 game streak.

Complaint about 200+ rushing yards?
That happens when you throw an interception, fumble, and can't keep your team on the field against an option offense.

Threw for 300+ yards.
80 of those yards and a TD came in garbage time - under 2minutes, down by two scores, with the clock running out.

Chandler "fumble"
On a simple swing route the ball shouldn't come in at 100+mph.

GaSt isn't entirely on JG. Yes the defense was bad. JG in no way played good and we could have won with better QB play.
The stats from that game are not indicative of JG being a good QB.
I agree 100%, I never said he was a good QB. I hope Bailey is who we all want him to be. But that game isn’t solely on JG. The only thing I disagree with you with, is the 100mph comment, these are D1 SEC athletes, catch the dang ball.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
At this point, I’m really confused. It’s in the programs best interest to find someone that can compete with the higher tier of the sec. JG has proven repeatedly he is middle of the road at best. His intangibles are exactly the thing that makes the majority here hope and wish someone else beats him out this off season. JG has peaked, lacks vision, lacks reading defenses, lacks speed, lacks consistency, lacks being able to time a throw or lead a receiver. It goes on and on. If you want better than 6-8 wins and if you want better than only beating the bottom of the sec, then you should also want someone to step up at the QB position.
Do we make it to a bowl game, and win it without him, yes or no ?

VN Store

Back