JG 2020

The talent around him is good, I just hate to see others suffer from lack of good qb play. Jg play really hurts the running game as all the teams stack the box on jg to stop the run.
Stop lying. They only stacked the box when Maurer came in. That is the only reason he had his one decent quarter. When they semi respected the pass he threw no tds and a ton of ints. JG actually got really defense played against him.

I think another year in the system will be good for him. It is hard to assume the young guns will overtake him.
However, no matter what hope I ever had in him being good next year finally went down the drain in his awful performance against Indiana.

How bout vandy the game before?

Stop lying. They only stacked the box when Maurer came in. That is the only reason he had his one decent quarter. When they semi respected the pass he threw no tds and a ton of ints. JG actually got really defense played against him.

Lol, don't know what games you watched.

Reactions: jacvols
So "nearly" throwing three interceptions is worse than actually throwing two? I had no idea.

Yes Maurer threw into tight windows, which all good qb do. Watch tonights game and you will see qb throwing into tight windows. I hope they don't coach this out of him. Throwing across the field thats another thing that can be coached out of. No int. in this game and a fg in his one and only series.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I think people are taking JG and his experience for granted. I believe he’ll be TN’s QB and leader for the 2020 campaign, and will cement his legacy as one of UT’s greatest QB’s (based on stats and growth as a player).

JG struggled adapted to a new offense, which he was forced to do throughout his career thus far. But after a year in the system, and the experience he’s gained, I feel like JG will be among the leading QB’s in the SEC next season, and will even be mentioned in the heisman discussions a few times.
What have you been drinking? You just disgraced the word heisman when you associated it with JG. If Peyton couldn’t win it, there is no way JG will even be mentioned as a possible candidate. We all have a better chance at winning the lottery.

Such good defense that he was benched 37 times this year. Give your love affair for the kid up. I’ve got nothing against him. He may be a great kid. The fact still remains he can’t get us where UT football should be.

We really shouldn’t even reply to these threads and give the satisfaction. This person is either a troll, idiot, JGs family, or a combination. From one of the worst QBs in the SEC to heisman contender. Makes complete sense. And I don’t need you to spit out some stats. I have eyeballs. I appreciate what JG has done, but he can’t get us to the next level.

By dumb you mean people that want better for our program? Good call. JG could get 10 more years experience and still not have us competing where we need to be. He just doesn’t have it. And some of that talent can’t be coached. I think the coaches will see Maurer or Bailey can be just as average as JG but have a higher ceiling. JG maybe starts. But I’d bet it doesn’t last long. These coaches know just as well as we do what JG is. If they have a more viable option, we’ll see it on the field.

I for one hope jg doesn't start, but I am afraid he will because it appears he does well in practice. I want our future qb to start the first game and get that game expierience before okl. We can beat okl with good qb play. We can beat them if jg has one of his good games, but you never know which jg is going to show up, and if for example jg starts and has a good game our first game, then comes okl. and has his usual bad game, we put a new qb in with no game expierience. Whoever our new qb will be needs as much game expierence as possible.

Reactions: KBVol
Ok maybe the heisman part was me being over optimistic. I still think he takes a leap, and his final stats end up as a top 5 passer in TN history.
Why? Why will he take a leap? He literally took a huge step back in his 4th year as a collegiate player. He started off horrifically, then played well to very well in 3.5 games, then played like straight trash vs Vandy and Indiana to finish the year. He was all over the place. His floor was lower than any other QB that played and his ceiling isn’t as high given his physical shortcomings.....he was wildly inaccurate in 2019 and he can’t make plays off-schedule. The drama surrounding this kid is bad for the team, he can’t possibly be trusted.

As far as his stats, yeah, he can catch Andy Kelly in TD passes and passing yardage, who played in an era where the passing offense took a backseat to the running game, if he plays enough in 2020 he’s only 4 td passes behind Andy. And he can maybe catch Dobbs, given that he’s already played only 3 fewer games than the number Josh played. (Btw, Dobbs was in a different galaxy in terms of being a play making, winning Tenn QB than Guarantano). But even if he does, he’ll still be light years behind Clausen, Ainge and Manning, despite having played as many or more games than all 3 of them if he plays the full season in 2020. He’s only 57 touchdown passes and approximately 6,200 yards behind Peyton at this point.

No matter where he finishes statistically at the end of his Tennessee career, he’ll never be remembered as even a top 20 QB in program history. To the contrary, he’s gonna be remembered only as an incredibly disappointing QB who held his team back from winning football games.

Last edited:
I for one hope jg doesn't start, but I am afraid he will because it appears he does well in practice. I want our future qb to start the first game and get that game expierience before okl. We can beat okl with good qb play. We can beat them if jg has one of his good games, but you never know which jg is going to show up, and if for example jg starts and has a good game our first game, then comes okl. and has his usual bad game, we put a new qb in with no game expierience. Whoever our new qb will be needs as much game expierence as possible.
This is a solid point.

Why? Why will he take a leap? He literally took a huge step back in his 4th year as a collegiate player. He started off horrifically, then played well to very well in 3.5 games, then played like straight trash vs Vandy and Indiana to finish the year. He was all over the place. His floor was lower than any other QB that played and his ceiling isn’t as high given his physical shortcomings.....he was wildly inaccurate in 2019 and he can’t make plays off-schedule. The drama surrounding this kid is bad for the team, he can’t possibly be trusted.

As far as his stats, yeah, he can catch Andy Kelly in TD passes and passing yardage, who played in an era where the passing offense took a backseat to the running game, if he plays enough in 2020 he’s only 4 td passes behind Andy. And he can maybe catch Dobbs, given that he’s already played only 3 fewer games than the number Josh played. (Btw, Dobbs was in a different galaxy in terms of being a play making, winning Tenn QB than Guarantano). But even if he does, he’ll still be light years behind Clausen, Ainge and Manning, despite having played as many or more games than all 3 of them if he plays the full season in 2020. He’s only 57 touchdown passes and approximately 6,200 yards behind Peyton at this point.

No matter where he finishes statistically at the end of his Tennessee career, he’ll never be remembered as even a top 20 QB in program history. To the contrary, he’s gonna be remembered only as an incredibly disappointing QB who held his team back from winning football games.
He also came in and helped win a few. Just sayin. Could we have won more games with a better qb, sure. Which team couldn't? Problem is, we didn't and don't currently have anyone better. So trashing him at this point doesn't help anything. I do think he can improve in his 2nd year in the same offense and if he does, he will almost surely be better than a true freshman. His biggest weakness in my opinion is his timing, he's often late to make the throw, that's one thing I know can be solved with more time in the system (and ok he's slow when scrambling) . Maurer could also improve and take over, cant wait to find out how it all unfolds. Either way, I hope Cade Mays gets cleared and we have an offense that rarely even has to throw the ball. 10-20 times a game would be fine with me.

Last edited:
I think people are taking JG and his experience for granted. I believe he’ll be TN’s QB and leader for the 2020 campaign, and will cement his legacy as one of UT’s greatest QB’s (based on stats and growth as a player).

JG struggled adapted to a new offense, which he was forced to do throughout his career thus far. But after a year in the system, and the experience he’s gained, I feel like JG will be among the leading QB’s in the SEC next season, and will even be mentioned in the heisman discussions a few times.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this will be the first time in his career he's had experience with the same OC/system. We will see how he does, but that's crazy to think he's had to learn a new system every single year.

iu

Not by record or stats.

No need to rehash all the idiocy you guys have spit out. You guys don't like him. Just say it.

There is no fact based argument to say he has been one of the worst QBs here. No need to argue with a bunch of blind idiots with an agenda.

It will be JG or Bailey. Just be ready.
So because JG throws a ton of 2 yard screen passes to great WR's and they make a play for 10-20 yards that makes JG a great QB?...Really?...Hell I could do that...He is EASILY the worst qb in modern UT football history and its hilarious you take up for him and defend him as much as you do...You sir are blind as a bat...It is also hilarious that 95% of the people on this board agree that he isn't any good but for some reason you keep attempting to try and convince us that he is...Keep on, It's entertaining.

2018-JG got hammered over and over again due to an offensive line that had more holes in it than swiss cheese. His body and psyche were demolished, but he got back up every damn time to play the next play if he could. He has a 32 TD to 13 Int ratio over 2.5 years. Yes, he has made some bad decisions, but so has every QB that ever played at UT. Manning lost to Memphis, Casey Clausen threw at 56% completion his senior year. JG has gotten better each year, his sacks have gone down, his TDs have gone up. He is and will continue to be a work in progress, but he has the talent, he will have a 2nd year under Chaney and that will work wonders for him.

The beauty of College football is that a hotshot freshmen can take your spot and Harrison Bailey could very well do that, but all the QB's will have to fight it out during Spring practice and Fall Camp. I root for all our QB's, but JG ate a slice of humble pie and lead this team to win 7 out of the last 8 games this season. He did not do it alone, the dline and oline got better but he delivered more than he failed during the win streak. JG imho will be the starter next season barring injury, if he is not at game one, I will eat a large slice deep fried crow with a side of shutup gravy......

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He also came in and helped win a few. Just sayin. Could we have won more games with a better qb, sure. Which team couldn't? Problem is, we didn't and don't currently have anyone better. So trashing him at this point doesn't help anything. I do think he can improve in his 2nd year in the same offense and if he does, he will almost surely be better than a true freshman. His biggest weakness in my opinion is his timing, he's often late to make the throw, that's one thing I know can be solved with more time in the system (and ok he's slow when scrambling) . Maurer could also improve and take over, cant wait to find out how it all unfolds. Either way, I hope Cade Mays gets cleared and we have an offense that rarely even has to throw the ball. 10-20 times a game would be fine with me.
Properly defining how he performed at QB in 2019 isn’t “trashing him”.....it’s living in reality. There’s just no way this team moves forward and reaches its potential in 2020 with him at QB.....didn’t in 2019, wont in 2020 either imo.

Maurer will be in year 2, Shrout year 3 and highly touted Bailey enters the program ..... one or all of those 3 have to surpass Guarantano because we know exactly who he is on game day and it’s simply not good enough.

Properly defining how he performed at QB in 2019 isn’t “trashing him”.....it’s living in reality. There’s just no way this team moves forward and reaches its potential in 2020 with him at QB.....didn’t in 2019, wont in 2020 either imo.

Maurer will be in year 2, Shrout year 3 and highly touted Bailey enters the program ..... one or all of those 3 have to surpass Guarantano because we know exactly who he is on game day and it’s simply not good enough.
We know what he has been, not what he will be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this will be the first time in his career he's had experience with the same OC/system. We will see how he does, but that's crazy to think he's had to learn a new system every single year.
Exactly

What have you been drinking? You just disgraced the word heisman when you associated it with JG. If Peyton couldn’t win it, there is no way JG will even be mentioned as a possible candidate. We all have a better chance at winning the lottery.

history has shown you won't win the Heisman at Tennessee...don't care who you are...

PS. would like to be proven wrong before I die though...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Not by record or stats.
JG is 9-17 as a starter. If you give him credit for the games he played 3 qtrs or more then he's 11-19. What other QB in UT history has started the majority of games in 3 seasons with a 35% win percentage? In just regular season games he is 32%. Annualized, he averages just 3.8 wins per season. His average is actually worse than UT's worst season... a season in which he was the starter.

You love to condemn Maurer for basically making Fr mistakes. As a RS Fr, JG became the starter for a 3-2 team averaging a pathetic 24 ppg. He led them to a 1-7 record with the only win coming against a weak mid-major... point production fell to 16.7 ppg. He held the ball too long and took over 30 drive ending sacks compared to a hand full for the guy he replaced... who you also hated and lied about.

If you annualized that point production (ignoring the fact that JG started the weaker half of the schedule)... you have an O that would have produced 200 points. That is the worst point production since 1964.

No need to rehash all the idiocy you guys have spit out. You guys don't like him. Just say it.
No problem. We are all glad to leave the idiocy to you.

I like him fine. I hoped he had finally turned the corner. Pulaski convinced me to ignore his pathetic performance vs Vandy due to the rain and his family issue. But he confirmed that the old JG was back in the IU game.

There is no fact based argument to say he has been one of the worst QBs here. No need to argue with a bunch of blind idiots with an agenda.
Worst QB's? Nah. Worst regular starter at QB? Yes.

It will be JG or Bailey. Just be ready.
The coaches were ready to start BM this year. He got injured. If he's over that injury and puts time in the film room to correct his mistakes then only a true "idiot" would suggest he cannot be the starter.

The announcer in the bowl game nailed it. JG is late... repeatedly. He said that he had to "see it" rather than anticipating. That appears to be an innate, chronic flaw. If he's the starter, UT will lose more games they should win because of that flaw.

Last edited:
@k-town_king

PS- JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points in a game against an FBS opponent. To clarify that a little more... GSU gave up 30 or more points in 9 of their other 12 games including 42 to FCS Furman in the week immediately following UT. It wasn't the OL. It wasn't the WR's. It wasn't the RB's. It was JG.

Reactions: KBVol
Jg should transfer to a MAC school where he can light it up...if he IS that good of a QB. Why not be the unquestioned starter without any worries of getting replaced instead of a situation where its iffy and he has no chance at the pros. He'll get noticed in conf USA or the MAC if he's good...like Big Ben was. Its time for the highly touted Harrison Bailey...and if he falls flat we bring in the backup...like every other top team.

VN Store

Back