JG 2020

You have a RS Jr... a 4th year college football QB who can't anticipate throws. Being able to do that is similar to a RB being able to "see" the running lanes even before they're there. You can teach it to a degree but a lot of it is just as innate as being able to run a 4.4 forty or throw a 70 yard spiral.

It IS a fatal flaw and something that we've seen from JG from the moment he stepped on the field. The commentator in the IU game said that JG has to "see it" before throwing. Coupled with processing slow, this means he will be late and will hold the ball too long. It means that you cannot throw certain passes with him.

JG was not nearly as effective at RPO's as Maurer. One third of Maurer's RPO's went for a 1st down vs only 13% for JG. Though JG had a lot more attempts overall both threw 15 RPO's on the season. About 21% of Maurer's throws were RPO's vs about 6% for JG. The reason is simple. Maurer plays instinctive. That got him into trouble at times and needs to be developed. But JG does not play with instinct. As the announcer said, he has to "see it". I would add he has to "think about it" too.

JG is very likely to always be limited by this weakness. DC's can stop or limit UT's O pretty easily with this knowledge. You can play loose early then tighten up as the routes mature. You take the throws away at the predictable point when JG wants to throw.

We will see the direction the coaches feel is best sometime around August. If JG has not transferred by then, it will be obvious that they are not in the "time to move on mindset". Until then, all is speculation. I will support whichever direction they go.
UT has a rising RS Sr QB. When asked about JG potentially transferring, Pruitt said he was staying but ALSO said that he would participate in a competition for the job. The fact that they became so desperate that they were willing to start a true Fr they knew wasn't ready... indicates they are not in a "JG has the job nailed down" mode.

A lot of dumb people are going to be really sad when JG is our qb again. But y'all know better than the coaches and players.

JG gave is us our best chance to win ugly this past year. I would like to see the new QBs of the future win the job and take us to the next level. That's the ideal. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. If not, I hope JG can improve on his inconsistencies enough to beat some top opponents and not slip up on cupcakes or middling opponents.

I think people are taking JG and his experience for granted. I believe he’ll be TN’s QB and leader for the 2020 campaign, and will cement his legacy as one of UT’s greatest QB’s (based on stats and growth as a player).

JG struggled adapted to a new offense, which he was forced to do throughout his career thus far. But after a year in the system, and the experience he’s gained, I feel like JG will be among the leading QB’s in the SEC next season, and will even be mentioned in the heisman discussions a few times.

I thought that this was in blue font....

Reactions: HalfullVol
Many of you may not have taken the time to call up the presser after the Gator bowl. Pruitt isn't just locked in on JG. His comments here are very telling and should give you some insight on what next year might be like. I've copied the link to start at the point where he's talking about the QB position.

Reactions: MAD and sjt18
A lot of dumb people are going to be really sad when JG is our qb again. But y'all know better than the coaches and players.
Yes. Losing makes me sad.... you don't care as long as your idol starts and has "stats". Not having good, consistent QB play makes me sad. You delude yourself into believing that stats that don't produce points... proves good QB play.

It will be "sad" if UT doesn't have a better QB than JG. That's a fact. If neither Maurer or Shrout can develop... if Bailey isn't as great as some believe. If Holiday isn't the next Murray like you believe.... and UT is once again forced to start the guy who stank it up against IU and Vandy when both games should have been over by half... then that will be "sad".

We really shouldn’t even reply to these threads and give the satisfaction. This person is either a troll, idiot, JGs family, or a combination. From one of the worst QBs in the SEC to heisman contender. Makes complete sense. And I don’t need you to spit out some stats. I have eyeballs. I appreciate what JG has done, but he can’t get us to the next level.

By dumb you mean people that want better for our program? Good call. JG could get 10 more years experience and still not have us competing where we need to be. He just doesn’t have it. And some of that talent can’t be coached. I think the coaches will see Maurer or Bailey can be just as average as JG but have a higher ceiling. JG maybe starts. But I’d bet it doesn’t last long. These coaches know just as well as we do what JG is. If they have a more viable option, we’ll see it on the field.

By all means if Bailey or another guy is better he should start immediately. I just don’t see that as being the case right off the bat. Hopefully I’m wrong as we could obviously benefit from having even better players.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
If our line gels as a run blocking machine, JG could be a game manager type. If we need consistent passing, I think someone else finally beats him out.
Put in HB. He just needs to get ready and put on some muscle this offseason. Hopefully it’s a real competition. It could be BM, HB, JG, or evening Shrout. I’m hoping for HB, would even be ok with BM if Cheyney can teach him how to go through his progressions better and get the “panic” out of him.

You have a RS Jr... a 4th year college football QB who can't anticipate throws. Being able to do that is similar to a RB being able to "see" the running lanes even before they're there. You can teach it to a degree but a lot of it is just as innate as being able to run a 4.4 forty or throw a 70 yard spiral.

It IS a fatal flaw and something that we've seen from JG from the moment he stepped on the field. The commentator in the IU game said that JG has to "see it" before throwing. Coupled with processing slow, this means he will be late and will hold the ball too long. It means that you cannot throw certain passes with him.

JG was not nearly as effective at RPO's as Maurer. One third of Maurer's RPO's went for a 1st down vs only 13% for JG. Though JG had a lot more attempts overall both threw 15 RPO's on the season. About 21% of Maurer's throws were RPO's vs about 6% for JG. The reason is simple. Maurer plays instinctive. That got him into trouble at times and needs to be developed. But JG does not play with instinct. As the announcer said, he has to "see it". I would add he has to "think about it" too.

JG is very likely to always be limited by this weakness. DC's can stop or limit UT's O pretty easily with this knowledge. You can play loose early then tighten up as the routes mature. You take the throws away at the predictable point when JG wants to throw.
Exactly

By all means if Bailey or another guy is better he should start immediately. I just don’t see that as being the case right off the bat. Hopefully I’m wrong as we could obviously benefit from having even better players.
If it is ever going to be the case for Maurer or Shrout then it should be the case "right off the bat". JG is NOT a solid starter. This season proves that beyond any reasonable doubt. The coaches don't consider him the entrenched starter or else they wouldn't have played other guys.

Last year this time, Pruitt publicly awarded the job to JG without a competition. This year he made clear in the video above that there will be a competition. That's not a good sign for your RS Sr with 3 years starting experience.

If JG leaves the Spring Game without being re-affirmed as the starter... he probably won't be.

Reactions: VolforFootball
I think people are taking JG and his experience for granted. I believe he’ll be TN’s QB and leader for the 2020 campaign, and will cement his legacy as one of UT’s greatest QB’s (based on stats and growth as a player).

JG struggled adapted to a new offense, which he was forced to do throughout his career thus far. But after a year in the system, and the experience he’s gained, I feel like JG will be among the leading QB’s in the SEC next season, and will even be mentioned in the heisman discussions a few times.
I was with you all the way up to that nonsense about Heisman talk.. Goodness. I hope you're right but I don't see it

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
Look at the stats. JG will easily cement a top spot in our QB history, and the talent around him will allow him to excel.
Vinny Testaverde had a great team around him...Ever here of Miami of the 80’s talent all around him and the defenses that you didn’t want to play. All-American WON the Heisman. Could NOT win the big game. Tennessee beat him in the Sugar Bowl 85’ and then the next year ol Joe Pa and Penn St. gave him the same punishment to win the national championship. Oh he went to the pros and years later after becoming the record holder in INT’s he comes out telling that he’s colored blind. My point is I love the kid but he’s had his chances. He’s gonna have to prove something to win the job and be the the QB you think he’s gonna be. He just doesn’t have that mentality and I wished he did because he deserves it. We’re gonna have to have that decisive maker in there. Quick quick quick is the game...Yes we can run and then make decisions easier on him but that’s not the way all the games are played out. His processing is to slow he doesn’t see the field and read defenses well. PERIOD!!!!

They say “variety is the spice of life.” For us, I hope it means a robust and healthy QB competition in 2020...May the best QB win! GBO!

Worst starting qb in Tennessee history...Period...He MIGHT start next year but he won't finish the year as the starter.
Not by record or stats.

No need to rehash all the idiocy you guys have spit out. You guys don't like him. Just say it.

There is no fact based argument to say he has been one of the worst QBs here. No need to argue with a bunch of blind idiots with an agenda.

It will be JG or Bailey. Just be ready.

Look at the stats. JG will easily cement a top spot in our QB history, and the talent around him will allow him to excel.

The talent around him is good, I just hate to see others suffer from lack of good qb play. Jg play really hurts the running game as all the teams stack the box on jg to stop the run.

Do you suffer from amnesia?

VN Store

Back