Jarret Guarantano better than most vol fans think

Yeah JG was 17-29 176 yds 2 td 1 int. That's not a bad game for him. That's a perfectly Guarantano game. That's his usual % in every thing. But you actually have to watch the game to see the suck.

Soon PFF will have a glowing review and the JG fans will be crowing again.

It’s obvious that in pressure times, the players and coaches have no trust in the QB. Understandable with a freshman qb, but not with a junior who has been here 4 years. Time to move on to someone else.

Make no mistake about it though, this is a bad team right now. Maybe they will improve but who knows.

Well the OL made strides today. I still felt like they got tired in the 4th quarter though. Our secondary without Bryce has taken a big step back though.

Yep. JG lost me tonight. He's not good. He's just can't make the reads.

It'll be interesting how this plays out, particularly next week. OL issues aside, they still gave him a reasonable chance yet he made several bad decisions not seeing open receivers, throwing into double and triple coverage and essentially leaving points on the field over two games. A lot of that is on him specifically. They are the things he can control.

I wasn't expecting to go to the SECCG or anything, but did expect a junior QB to NOT be a big part of several problems. Tonight, for me, he lost his grip on the QB position. While he might start next week and/or later on the staff now HAS TO play one or both QBs behind JG. We need to see what we got when the lights are on with the other two. Is there a guy in there that can show potential in reading and delivering the ball where it should be. JG has had ample time to show that, and for whatever reason he is unable to.

I'm not into staff firings......but something better change there. Since they don't play, they now have to start finding the answer to what comes after JG. The faster the better, it's their decision to make.

But Zack Wilson was 19-29 232 1 td 0 picks, more importantly he made the plays when he had to, and won the damn game.

Reactions: Alto1
Two weeks in a row JG turns the ball over deep in our territory to shift momentum. Again tonight it was a 7 point mistake.
JG missed several reads...throwing into double and triple coverage.
JG was late on several throws...the one on goal line to JJ cost us 7 points.
JG missed a wide open JP for a sure touchdown.

Altogether, JG mistakes cost UT 21 points tonight.

Reactions: nomads-11 and GBOx2
At this point I don't give a damn if I hurt any feelings. JG is a horrible QB. He is blind as a bat and has no vision down the field. At least Pruitt chewed his ass over it tonight. He should have benched him. He constantly dumps short on 3rd down. He throws away on must make plays where a pass down the field is as good as a punt. He has not improved in 3 years. 3YEARS!!!!!! When is enough, enough? And what bothers me more than the lack of vision and poor play is the fact the he shows 0 leadership on the field. Has he learned nothing from Jennings or does he simply not care? It is time to hand the ball over to Shrout or Maurer.

For enduring the hits and criticism that comes with managing a team with a woeful Offensive line. You may find more success in the future with a line that can give you time to make reads.

But that ain’t us. And that ain’t you. And that ain’t now.

JT Shroud, come on down.

I know the JG bashers hate facts.
The offensive coordinator was afraid to let JG throw the ball in the 4th quarter and the OT's . Consequently, 3 points instead of 7. If you don't have confidence in your QB to throw the ball, it's time to try another QB. Hell TN has a knack of making the opposing QB look like a Heisman finalist.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
JG didn’t let BYU drive down the field and tie the game.
No, but he threw an INT that led to their only TD in regulation. Missed Jennings for a TD who was wide open, and Palmer who was behind the defense. Yeah they last play of regulation was terrible, but JG was terrible.

Good job op. I thought I was going to open the thread and it was going to be really hateful towards the kid. He tried his best and is a good kid. He’s got a good arm but definitely shouldn’t be playing qb for us. But gave it his all.

Reactions: Denton'sGhostGBO
I never knew the screen could be such a high risk play. Once again 4 or 5 attempts and all negative plays. Make the switch coach.

Two weeks in a row JG turns the ball over deep in our territory to shift momentum. Again tonight it was a 7 point mistake.
JG missed several reads...throwing into double and triple coverage.
JG was late on several throws...the one on goal line to JJ cost us 7 points.
JG missed a wide open JP for a sure touchdown.

Altogether, JG mistakes cost UT 21 points tonight.

At least 14, but I'll buy 21.... not hard to do.

Shrout is a turnover waiting to happen if practice is any indication of how he would play. Maurer is inconsistent, but he's probably the guy you go with. Hate it for JG. He's got all the physical talent needed and I have defended him because of the poor protection last season...but he's had plenty of time to throw this season and isn't getting it done. I'm not going to bash the kid. The entire situation sucks for everyone.

He seems to be scared to make a mistake. He has the talent he needs to let it fly. Probably Butch's fault.

No I think thats the excuse fans are making. He stares down his 1st option, if its not wide open he throws to the check down. After being told to take some risk he just throws to the covered 1st option. The problem is his throws the past 4 game have been very inaccurate, and he hardly even progresses through his reads.

VN Store

Back