Jarret Guarantano better than most vol fans think

Tennessee football: More stats favoring Jarrett Guarantano slam Vols OL

As I’ve said all along he is much better than some of you guys say or think. If the scouts are correct then Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert will be in the NFL draft. According to the sports source this morning in four categories Guarantano was better in three of them and tied the other.

Give this guy time and he will a top qb in the SEC.
I want some of the drugs you are high on.

His stats are good, but his crushing mistakes erase the stats. The stats just don’t have a column for “game crushing mistakes”. IOW...when the pressure is on, he’s not your guy.

Reactions: igotworms
Nobody is saying he isn't a good kid, ornot tough. He just sucks at being a qb.
Not sure he "sucks". He holds the ball to long and has happy feet. Why hasnt a coach corrected the mental click issue? Not sure. Either poor coaching or the kid just doesnt get it. We all know why he has happy feet. Why does he contine to stare down the receiver? Not sure. JG may be the best we got. If not then shame on the coaches.

Reactions: davethevol
Tonight, he had time, but still threw into double and sometimes triple coverage. When the coaches know he isn’t good, then they run the offense that was run tonight. The coaches do not trust JG to make the right decisions. If you watched the game tonight, there is no way to honestly state he is a good QB.

He's physically tough. He's mentally quite weak. Tonight, like most other games, you could literally watch him mentally start folding up in the second half.

That distinction needs to be made.

Tennessee football: More stats favoring Jarrett Guarantano slam Vols OL

As I’ve said all along he is much better than some of you guys say or think. If the scouts are correct then Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert will be in the NFL draft. According to the sports source this morning in four categories Guarantano was better in three of them and tied the other.

Give this guy time and he will a top qb in the SEC.
UH NO,,,,JG WON'T GET A WIFF FROM THE NFL

How do we know he is the best we have? Neither of the two other guys ever get to play in a real game.

I say bull$&it.
VolNW
It can only be one of two things. Either our coaches have no clue on evaluating talent and your right or two he is the best we got.

VolNW
It can only be one of two things. Either our coaches have no clue on evaluating talent and your right or two he is the best we got.

Or perhaps he is the best in practice. Not sure you can fully evaluate someone, especially if your #1 choice sucks, until you actually get them in a real game. Even mop up duty.

Many years ago I recall that Brandon Stewart was all everything in practice, but this other kid named Manning was far better in games.

Not saying JG isnt the best option, but until we actually see the other two under center in a real game, who really knows??

Or perhaps he is the best in practice. Not sure you can fully evaluate someone, especially if your #1 choice sucks, until you actually get them in a real game. Even mop up duty.

Many years ago I recall that Brandon Stewart was all everything in practice, but this other kid named Manning was far better in games.

Not saying JG isnt the best option, but until we actually see the other two under center in a real game, who really knows??
This times 1,000. It’s not uncommon for a player to perform well in practice and drills but not carry that over into games. Nate Peterman ring a bell?

Jg wasn't the guy last year
Jg wasn't the guy last week
Apparently jg wasn't the guy last night
Wonder if Pruitt will get it?​

I know the JG bashers hate facts.
I'll give you a fact right here...He sucks and needs to be benched...I swear to god if I see him throw one more freaking screen pass I am going to throw up!...He can't run a lick and has the worse field vision of any qb I have seen at Tennessee...He needs to be benched period...Maybe he can enter the transfer portal and go back to jersey and play for his hometown team Rutgers if they would even want him at this point...He has a 6-14 record at UT...Now go ahead with your stupid inflated stats facts you so love to show and try to convince people of how good he is when the FACTS ARE he is a losing qb...I would rather take a chance on one of our talented young qb's than deal with this crap anymore...now go ahead and say something stupid like always.

I know the JG bashers hate facts.
You can't seriously still be here trying to make these ridiculous claims. UT's coaches were handcuffed once BYU started loading up against the run. They KNEW they couldn't let the game come down to JG's decision making.

You can't blame the OL. They played better and were able to get a run game going. They allowed 1 sack. JG had plenty of time on almost every play.

You can't blame the receivers. They were open all night.

BYU should have had more picks including the first TD.

There is one primary reason the O could not move the ball and score points... same reason you've been denying for over two years now. JG does not appear to have the ability to "get it" from a mental standpoint. He appears to have reached his ceiling. The cold hard truth is that the only time he ever "leads" a receiver is on crossing routes that take a long time to develop.... and even then they have to be running wide open.

How many times did the guys calling the game on TV say "he was late again"..... and they didn't say it half the times it happened. Being late means that coverage gets to the receiver before the receiver can do anything after the catch too.

Chaney like the last two OC's before him is forced to call plays to "protect" JG from mistakes. They even talked before the game that they had to once again simplify things for him.... reduce the decisions he had to make so he could "play fast"... and the game was STILL too fast for him... against one of the slowest D's UT will face all year.

I'm sure he's a nice kid. He's tough. He's obviously a good academic student since he's already graduated. I've always said he has great physical tools. But after 4 years in CFB.... the game is still just way too fast for him. He may simply lack the mental ability to process as fast as a guy has to do it to play QB in CFB.

Last edited:
Clearly there is a flaw with the QB rating system, if you that leads anyone to conclude he is an above average QB. The only stat I’m going with is the 6-14 record as starting QB.

There’s a reason NFL teams look at game film to scout potential players. Stats don’t tell them much.

I just don’t understand you guys. What my eyes are seeing? He can’t hold onto the ball to long because he had less than 3 seconds on most plays to throw it.

Let’s for one more time break this down as an offensive coordinator and let’s look at how a very under average can make this offense look like it does. And I will compare both sides of the ball for both teams.

First like I said, he had on average 2.7 seconds to throw the ball. Ok, a defensive coordinator knows this by watching “film” something you guys don’t do apparently. Now look at the cornerbacks on each side, 9 out of 10 plays they are in the line of scrimmage and they bump the receivers coming off the snap which is legal up to five yards. This throws off the hot routes, quick reads and any shot for him to release the ball quickly because no one was open.

The oline was the entire problem last year, go back and read the article posted to this. 32% of all running plays were stopped behind the line of scrimmage. ETSU made the oline look like a community college line.

I get most of you on here can’t read plays, can’t break down film. You guys are fans and that is fine but don’t try to tell others on here who have coached all their lives and watched and break down film that they are wrong.

This team can’t become a passing offensive until the offensive line improves. Look at Fulmer time here, The offense most years were good the one thing he had was a dominate oline.
The OLs problem was on the short yardage runs. And if that was due to overload, should the QB call and audible.

They were pretty solid in pass protection last night.

VN Store

Back