Jarret Guarantano better than most vol fans think

It’s not the o line as much as it’s the other cards in play. If there’s one complaint I have about Pruitt it’s that he made it known that he wants a “smash mouth” offense last year and he didn’t have the horses. If we knew that then so did opposing coaches. That mindset along with JGs tendencies to play safe forced defensive coordinators to play within 10 yards of the LOS and added pressure to an already small and weak o line. Just my opinion

JG was largely playing to what the team could do. Our WRs dropped 1 in 4 passes last year (highest in the SEC). Our O-Line was historically bad for the NCAA in several metrics.

If you have almost no weapons and no protection, you can't do much. And yet he still put up strong metrics.

It’s not the o line as much as it’s the other cards in play. If there’s one complaint I have about Pruitt it’s that he made it known that he wants a “smash mouth” offense last year and he didn’t have the horses. If we knew that then so did opposing coaches. That mindset along with JGs tendencies to play safe forced defensive coordinators to play within 10 yards of the LOS and added pressure to an already small and weak o line. Just my opinion
I agree with that but once you know what kind of scheme you want to run you have to stick to it

I agree with that but once you know what kind of scheme you want to run you have to stick to it
No argument. My point is everybody wants to place blame on what they see on the surface for last years shortcomings. I’ve seen plenty of “it’s JGs fault!” And “it’s the o lines fault” or “Helton was no good” because that’s what you see. Yet people forget that Butch recruited “spread” players and Pruitt wanted “smash mouth” and he hired an “Air raid” coach to run it. I personally don’t think Helton was a bad coach or play caller. I think he was forced to play a style he wasn’t accustomed to and the mixture of 3 different styles between players/HC and OC was the reason things never looked right with anyone.

He's a much better QB than he's been allowed to be due to the coaching and line play. I'm surprised that he hasn't transferred. He would be lights out at a program like Oregon.

JG was largely playing to what the team could do. Our WRs dropped 1 in 4 passes last year (highest in the SEC). Our O-Line was historically bad for the NCAA in several metrics.

If you have almost no weapons and no protection, you can't do much. And yet he still put up strong metrics.
I don’t know where people are getting that he had NO protection when the line was historicity bad in RUN blocking. They actually were not as bad as many believe in pass protection. All a qb can ask for is 3 seconds. Anything beyond that is a bonus. Yes there were times that he didn’t have 3 seconds but to give you an example, I believe it was keyvol I told not long ago, I watched the Bama game (and others) over again to see how much time he had. Against Bama it was over 40 min into the YouTube video that he DIDNT have 3 sec for the first time. It happened again a short time later but overall he had time. Which is why KC had more success against them. KC was quick with his decisions and the ball came out on time. I’m not meaning to take a shot at JG because I do believe he’ll be much improved this season and hope he is. But he DID have some responsibility in the beating he took. Feel free to look for yourself and count “Mississippi’s” if you like.

This fan base delusional..I see 5-6 to six wins at best..He is not elite enough to beat UF, UGA, Ala..This the SEC this fan base is accepting this mediocre QB..What skill set does JG has at the QB position? The Oline always will be the blame..No one blames JG for holding on the ball trying to stare at that one wide wr..

Ridiculous comment.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
I guess I'll contribute my .02. Ill start off by saying I am hoping JG has a monster season though I am in the group of people who doubt his ability as a QB here at UT. In reference to some of the questions and comments on this post. I dont remember the ETSU game but saw the video and the fact that he threw 0 TDs vs an FCS school says something. In reference to QBs who do more with less, literally pick almost any QB in any other conference with the exception of the blue bloods of the conference's and you will have your answer. JG plays on an SEC team loaded with 4 star players and still can't produce. The OL is a major problem, but in the last two seasons he has given me zero reasons to believe he has what it takes to elevate his game. Ranking him a top 5 dual threat QB out of HS is the biggest joke I've seen. His success in the Auburn game was largely predicated on hopes and prayers with our receivers catching everything and their DBs forgetting how to break a pass up. I wish JG all the success this season as he will be leading us through the T but until he produces, I will doubt his abilities.
You should watch the Auburn game again. I don't think he was throwing prayers up at all, the reality is that it was the exact opposite of what you say. Those throws and his decision making was spot on that game. He had 3 big time throws, 2 that our guys couldn't hang onto and 1 TD to Chandler called back that was executed perfect. The ball Calloway went up to get was the exact play many of the JG haters continue to say he needs to make more often, it was a well placed throw. The difference in the Auburn and I'd say Kentucky games are that he was simply allowed to throw more and our entire offensive unit executed better as a group. Talent is not the issue with JG and there are very few that still hold onto that thought.

Reactions: Jauan't Some?
That Daniel Jones pick is starting to look more like genius than madness. I know it's preseason, but he lit up the Bengals 1st team defense pretty handily.
Yeah, he's taking alot of pressure off Giants' brass for the pick. I didn't think was remotely possible, but I now think he'll take over at some point this season, freeing up alot of Eli cap space for next year. Tying back to JG, I think, fair or not, JG's had alot of heavy lifting that he gets blamed for...AND, maybe not so different than Giants...both UT and Giants appear to have at least moved in a positive direction on OL, so maybe this year, we'll see the real JG...good, bad or indifferent.

Let me start by saying that I appreciate that this kids wanted to play for the Vols. However, it is becoming more and more clear that he is not the QB to lead this team out of our troubles. Watching him all last year and the two games this season, it is clear that he has not taken the necessary steps to excel at this level. Last week he was horrible and tonight has not been any better. He has over thrown a couple of players, an intentional grounding, multiple passes where the receiver bailed him out from an interception. He has on at least two occasions gotten the ball to the open receiver late, both if completed on time would have been a TD. It is time to move in from this train wreck.

Let me start by saying that I appreciate that this kids wanted to play for the Vols. However, it is becoming more and more clear that he is not the QB to lead this team out of our troubles. Watching him all last year and the two games this season, it is clear that he has not taken the necessary steps to excel at this level. Last week he was horrible and tonight has not been any better. He has over thrown a couple of players, an intentional grounding, multiple passes where the receiver bailed him out from an interception. He has on at least two occasions gotten the ball to the open receiver late, both if completed on time would have been a TD. It is time to move in from this train wreck.

Yeah we know we've been reading the same topic every week for 3 years.

He doesn’t do almost any of the small things. Example: first play he autibles to a run, he hands the ball off and watches the Rb go and does the worst fake that he still has the ball ever

Reactions: 08Vol and BreatheUT

VN Store

Back