Jalin Hyatt - WTH?

Not gonna talk down a player while he's on our team, but gotta say, I was absolutely shocked by the Biletnikoff Award! I think awarding it to Hyatt based on his number of TD receptions, and maybe avg yardage per score was a convenient cop-out. As with the Heisman, those who vote are usually more concerned about having their vote questioned by friends than casting a vote for who they really think was the best. So they end up with more votes for the "safe" pick.

I, too, remember many times Hyatt dropped easy passes that were shorter. Maybe he just has better "basket" hands, but no way did I think he was the best receiver in college football last year. Tillman showed much better all around skills the season before.

As for the Alabama game, most if not all of those TDs came out of busted coverages, which is system, pace of play, and maybe some fresh wrinkles thrown in for that game that their backs/coaches never adjusted to.

Hyatt is a VFL and I hope he creates motivation out of this experience to keep developing and eventually prove that he had a higher ceiling than expected.
Exactly my thought. Was it his ability to get open or was it confusion by the secondary due to our system? When he went up against UGA with top shelf DBs playing press/man, the story was different for both he and Tillman. Neither broke 70 yards in that game. Not a shot at either guy, but it's nothing personal with the NFL. They're going to draft guys that they feel can be successful in their league. Sometimes they make mistakes. Maybe that's the case with Tillman and Hyatt. Just use this as fuel for proving them all wrong.

Yes. You made the claim that no internet guy is as good as those guys.

I didn't actually. But go ahead and keep making up fake quotes because you said something incredibly stupid and don't want to own up to it.

moving-goalpost.gif

Dog$hit tastes better than chocolate ice cream.

Oh my gosh, what???? That's gross. Yuck!

(see, I can do it too)

It wasnt just the safety for fks sake. He burnt the safety and the corner numerous times. Some of yall don't get the leverage they tried to use. Ga did the same thing except the corner did a better job.

Sir I didn't say it was "just" the safety. You said to put on the Bama game and show where the 3rd DB is covering him. Well, that happened in the Alabama game. TD one, motion caused #14 Brian Branch (S) to pause long enough that by the time he thought about covering Hyatt he was already in full stride running by, #2 Hellams was late getting over to help and he blew his doors off too. TD two, Hyatt did an end around from a formation that confused the Alabama defense and got the ball in open space to get into the endzone. TD three Hellams was responsible for him and well, it didn't go good for Bama. His next reception was a comeback route on #13 Moore their *star* position (nickleback/weak side linebacker). TD #4, covered by #13 again with late help from Hellams. TD #5 on #14 Brian Branch (S). So the closest thing to a corner he lined up against was the star which would be a hybrid safety in a 4-3 defense. Hyatt played so much slot due to the mismatch it gives him against these players that arn't pure corners. He gets either star, nickel, or SS a lot of the time.

Reactions: tone357
Sir I didn't say it was "just" the safety. You said to put on the Bama game and show where the 3rd DB is covering him. Well, that happened in the Alabama game. TD one, motion caused #14 Brian Branch (S) to pause long enough that by the time he thought about covering Hyatt he was already in full stride running by, #2 Hellams was late getting over to help and he blew his doors off too. TD two, Hyatt did an end around from a formation that confused the Alabama defense and got the ball in open space to get into the endzone. TD three Hellams was responsible for him and well, it didn't go good for Bama. His next reception was a comeback route on #13 Moore their *star* position (nickleback/weak side linebacker). TD #4, covered by #13 again with late help from Hellams. TD #5 on #14 Brian Branch (S). So the closest thing to a corner he lined up against was the star which would be a hybrid safety in a 4-3 defense. Hyatt played so much slot due to the mismatch it gives him against these players that arn't pure corners. He gets either star, nickel, or SS a lot of the time.
If you’re going to make the argument, don’t link the clips that prove you wrong. The slot choice route is designed to get the mismatch.

Insane that 4 wide receivers (FOUR IN A ROW) have been picked before Hyatt. What a joke of a draft. Whoever gets him is blessed... and lucky. GBO!!!

This is what those of us who love Hyatt tried to warn of. He will have to get stronger and become a better route runner. At this level he won't regularly run wide open like he did last year. I think he may have to an extent hurt his draft stock by not playing the bowl game. I think he will be fine but he's going to have to work on his craft.

I dont believe Hyatt is the best receiver to play at UT not even in my lifetime. However what he did this past year is the single greatest season we have had at the position. Just the Bama game alone is worth 10,000 memories that won't be duplicated. I would almost fuarantee Hyatt is faster than he ran at the combine. Now if he can put on some pounds and keep the speed, he should adjust. Let's see where the guy lands. His work ethic alone will keep him in the game if he can gain weight and avoid injuries
Looking through the eyes of a 6-7 year old, no UT WR has been better than Stanley Morgan. Carl Pickens probably the most talented WR (had size, speed and caught everything). Patterson was the most freakish athlete I’ve seen as a UT WR.

I really don’t think I can think of a better single game performance from receiver. Especially given the caliber of opponent and the occasion
There was a wr out of La Tech that scorched Nebraska back when they were a powerhouse. As far as a rivalry game though I can’t think of a better performance.

Looking through the eyes of a 6-7 year old, no UT WR has been better than Stanley Morgan. Carl Pickens probably the most talented WR (had size, speed and caught everything). Patterson was the most freakish athlete I’ve seen as a UT WR.

I still give the nod to Joey Kent. Stats back that up. Not the most talented or freak athlete, but he caught everything.

Can't hold it against him that he had the ideal QBs for a Wr

Reactions: vols40

Very nice unemotional take on Great all time Vol WR.

Pickens was a complete package and if memory serves he also played on D early on. He was fun to watch. Just think of the talent with him and Dale Carter. Those were two fun guys to watch.

Very nice unemotional take on Great all time Vol WR.

Pickens was a complete package and if memory serves he also played on D early on. He was fun to watch. Just think of the talent with him and Dale Carter. Those were two fun guys to watch.
Yep, Pickens could have just as easily been an All-American at safety. Both had exceptional NFL careers.

Reactions: vols40
Yep, Pickens could have just as easily been an All-American at safety. Both had exceptional NFL careers.

I will never forget being at the Kentucky game 1990 I think, Andy Kelly hitting Pickens in stride for a long td. That 1990 team was on so close to being in the NC hunt. Shame Chuck Webb got hurt against Pacific that year.

Oh and the 9-6 disaster against Alabama which gave us the longest roll of a football in history of a blocked fg attempt. Seems like that ball rolled 45-50 yards to set the Terds up for the game winner.

How old are you? The system did help him and that's no knock on him. But in pure talent, he's not even the best UT receiver of the last 10 years. Again, no knock. UT has had (and squandered) some really talented guys. Malone, Callaway, and Palmer all fall in that group.

Hyatt is more talented than the 3 guys you listed. But Hyatt definitely isn’t the most talented.

Hyatt is more talented than the 3 guys you listed. But Hyatt definitely isn’t the most talented.

Outside of pure speed I couldn't disagree with you more. All 3 of the receivers got better as receivers. Hyatt was tall and fast when he got here.

Outside of pure speed I couldn't disagree with you more. All 3 of the receivers got better as receivers. Hyatt was tall and fast when he got here.

Stats and awards reinforce my stance. Hyatt is just as good of a route runner as any of those. Hyatt can beat man coverage from NFL DBs.

VN Store

Back