Jalen Hurd drafted by the Niners

I do hope JH is successful. Obviously while at UT he made several errors in judgement and I would agree he could have been managed better by our staff. But MAYBE the biggest advantage he got was being forced to mature at Baylor. As all kids his age need to do. Jalen was squarely in that boat for sure though and let’s hope he makes the best of another golden opportunity!

Not at safety...which is where Saban wanted him.

Wow! I did not know that. I bet he would've been a 1st rounder if he would've gone to Bama and played S in their defense.

As I've always said---I will never condone his quitting at UT, but the guy is an incredible FB player who had the misfortune of having to play for a complete moron as a HC in Jones.

Reactions: BreatheUT
He got drafted so high because of versatility.

I'm looking forward to him going against Kamara for the coming years in the division.

He was drafted as an ATH even though he will primarily play WR. But he will run the ball some to
I hear they promised him an "I" formation.

He was a projected top 100 pick.

Not that fast for WRs, so I expect him to eventually transition to TE like we said all along on Volnation. lol

Ive been saying this for forever too. He never had the feet, hips or vision to be an NFL running back. Just look at his lack of long runs while here. I think he never had one over 40 yards and he had about as many career carries as any RB in Vol history. He got by on toughness and strength. Definitely tons of potential as an NFL TE though, great mismatch vs safeties and linebackers and a hell of a blocker. Maybe a Trey Burton type role or maybe he can blossom into a Zach Ertz, similar size and athleticism and Hurds probably faster overall.

I sa
He was a projected top 100 pick.

Not that fast for WRs, so I expect him to eventually transition to TE like we said all along on Volnation. lol
I said that from the start, being the astute college football expert that I am, but was told that he resembled some guy named Eddie George and to be quiet and to get off their lawns.

Im a UT fan who doesnt sugarcoat things with these players. They're not children and they are being well taken care of and provided for on top of given a college education so if I choose to criticize or boo one of them they should be able to handle it.

With that said when Hurd left I said "good riddance" and "screw him then".

Now Ill also admit to being a 49er fan.

Ill give him a second chance but Ill also be certain not to forget his prima donna attitude.

Reactions: BanditVol
love hurd ..hope he balls out..but if his "parents" are their watch out...UT version explosion in locker room all over again

Ive been saying this for forever too. He never had the feet, hips or vision to be an NFL running back. Just look at his lack of long runs while here. I think he never had one over 40 yards and he had about as many career carries as any RB in Vol history. He got by on toughness and strength. Definitely tons of potential as an NFL TE though, great mismatch vs safeties and linebackers and a hell of a blocker. Maybe a Trey Burton type role or maybe he can blossom into a Zach Ertz, similar size and athleticism and Hurds probably faster overall.
Don’t ever see him being a tight end. He dropped weight from 240 to 220 or so to play WR for Baylor, and was promptly rewarded by being drafted in the 3rd round because of it. Just don’t see him packing on 25-30 pounds again when there’s no need. He’s gonna make a fine slot guy (a la Boldin and Fitzgerald) who can also be very effective in the red zone.

The kid didn't throw beer bottles from a balcony into a dumpster. He didn't get cited for underage drinking. He didn't do drugs or drug girls. He didn't get into trouble over girls. Over-all, he was a pretty good kid who wanted to play for his home state and go to the next level. Whether he is successful there or not will be shown in a few years. You guys have to give him some credit!

Don’t ever see him being a tight end. He dropped weight from 240 to 220 or so to play WR for Baylor, and was promptly rewarded by being drafted in the 3rd round because of it. Just don’t see him packing on 25-30 pounds again when there’s no need. He’s gonna make a fine slot guy (a la Boldin and Fitzgerald) who can also be very effective in the red zone.

The biggest chink in the armor is his lack of speed... he ran a 4.66 40 time at the combine, so he definitely doesn't have NFL WR speed... he is going to have use his size to get open.

To summarize this thread:

1. I can't believe Hurd was drafted that high. He couldn't have been good because he transferred somewhere else.
2. I wish him well even though he transferred somewhere else.
3. If he'd just stayed here, he would have gone in the first round.
4. Butch messed him up else he'd stayed here and been a first rounder.
5. If he'd stayed at UT, he wouldn't have been so slow.

Reactions: FïreBall

He may succumb to what the rest of us do and gain about 20 lbs over the next few years......whether he wants to do so or not.

Hurd had a 43 yard run against OK as a true freshman....

I haven't gone back and looked....but just how many of our other RBs had 40+ yard rushes while Hurd was here behind the same OL?

Dobbs had many.....but that's another story altogether.

I know there are so many things wrong with this right now, but....I can't help it.

Can't wait until Eric Berry meets him across the middle.

I know there are so many things wrong with this right now, but....I can't help it.

Can't wait until Eric Berry meets him across the middle.

I understand and to an extent share your humorous view. However, ER might get the worst of the hit. Jalen is known for laying out DBs when not showboating as he did in that Georgia game and got his arse exploded.

I do hope JH is successful. Obviously while at UT he made several errors in judgement and I would agree he could have been managed better by our staff. But MAYBE the biggest advantage he got was being forced to mature at Baylor. As all kids his age need to do. Jalen was squarely in that boat for sure though and let’s hope he makes the best of another golden opportunity!
I think he did mature some, but the biggest advantage was having a head coach and a staff that wasn't lying to him and manipulating him from day one. Botch screwed up and ran off a lot of kids in his tenure all for the sake of him trying to control everyone and everything. Botch was the MAIN CANCER in the UT program.

Hurd had a 43 yard run against OK as a true freshman....

I haven't gone back and looked....but just how many of our other RBs had 40+ yard rushes while Hurd was here behind the same OL?

Dobbs had many.....but that's another story altogether.

In looking up longest runs Hurd's longest were bested at least once (only their longest runs shown so doesn't preclude other runs being longer than Hurd's best) by other RB's every year he was here.
2014- Hurd's best 43, Marlin Lane 44.
2015- Hurd 48, Kamara 63
2016- Hurd 28, JK 73, AK 39

Also realize Hurd got the lion's share of carries over this period.

I don't wish Hurd any ill-will, and I am glad he got drafted. I also accept that Jones, at least after 2015, had many issues with his players, and that the locker room had become somewhat toxic, if reports are to be believed.

However, I won't forget the fact that Hurd refused to return to the game against South Carolina, and also that when he left, he asked the team if they thought he should go and they all voted "yes".

He also stated that he left because the offensive scheme at UT was a bad fit for his talents, to which I say fine, but there are plenty of indications that he wasn't the best team player.

Whatever, it worked out for him, but unfortunately it was probably best for him to leave Tennessee.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back