Jalen Hurd drafted by the Niners

I've determined that bamawriter is actually Ryan Callahan.

Why? Because Callahan is right? Niners and Saints haven't been in the same division since 2002. I bet there are a few dementia patients that know that.

Wow! I did not know that. I bet he would've been a 1st rounder if he would've gone to Bama and played S in their defense.

As I've always said---I will never condone his quitting at UT, but the guy is an incredible FB player who had the misfortune of having to play for a complete moron as a HC in Jones.

What did he do that was so incredible?

Nothing. After HS the word "incredible" simply doesn't apply anywhere. I don't think some of the more pejorative observations of his abilities are particularly accurate either but superlatives, certainly as a RB*, don't hold up under any amount of honest scrutiny.

*It's really too early to know where the WR path will lead.

There is plenty of tape showing that the defense knew if he was to the left of Dobbs at the snap they could jump the hand off to him going to the right and viscera. JH would get hit early in the play 1 to 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage and it was incredible that he could turn that into a gain of 1/2 to 11/2 yards or better so many times.

That alone is why there really isn’t any idea how to know what he could have done. Usually when an offense is that predictable, it’s a power run game, not a finesse offense.

There is plenty of tape showing that the defense knew if he was to the left of Dobbs at the snap they could jump the hand off to him going to the right and viscera. JH would get hit early in the play 1 to 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage and it was incredible that he could turn that into a gain of 1/2 to 11/2 yards or better so many times.

That alone is why there really isn’t any idea how to know what he could have done. Usually when an offense is that predictable, it’s a power run game, not a finesse offense.

Hurd was nowhere near incredible. He was a decent RB and a smidge better WR. He was tough and thats about it.

Hurd was nowhere near incredible. He was a decent RB and a smidge better WR. He was tough and thats about it.

No where near incredible?

Now you are being silly.

He just got picked in the 3rd round of the NFL draft. That’s close to incredible by it self. But the NFL has plenty of money to waste on a 3rd rd pick for somebody that’s a little better than decent. Cue a horse laughing.

Oh wait, he’s not incredible, but so much of the stuff he has done is incredible, but he isn’t.

Oh well. I can't fault somebody for pointing out the obvious. If you want to be small man whining about behavior, I'm glad I'm not you.
What? Maybe try re-reading my post... not one complaint or negative comment. Glad I'm not you too.

What? Maybe try re-reading my post... not one complaint or negative comment. Glad I'm not you too.

Maybe you need to reread the post he was responding to. The point was the Niners and Saint no longer in the NFC west, and therefore Hurd will not be facing Kamara on a regular vasis, And you go playing Charlie Chan trying to prove the guy who pointed it out is secretly Ryan Callahan. WTF cares? Well, besides you.

The only thing incredible about him was the man-bun, and that is in no way a complement.

Ok. It is possible for people not to be a Hurd fan and also agree that he was not utilized correctly by Butch. You can dislike both. Neither one did anything for the other.

Butch is Butch and is gone. Hurd left the team when he didn’t really have to. Neither are very likable. Both seemed to be completely of FOS and Hurd’s parents never did him or the team any favors by posting videos, calling radio shows or getting arrested while at a game. People see Hurd’s stat line and all of a sudden he gets a free pass because Butch was the coach? Nope. Not getting one from me.

Maybe you need to reread the post he was responding to. The point was the Niners and Saint no longer in the NFC west, and therefore Hurd will not be facing Kamara on a regular vasis, And you go playing Charlie Chan trying to prove the guy who pointed it out is secretly Ryan Callahan. WTF cares? Well, besides you.
In other words, bamawriter "Callahaned" somebody? :eek:

6th leading rusher in UT history while running behind one of the WORST OLs in the history of UT football--and without a FB as a lead blocker.
NOT ONE of the OL Hurd had blocking for him received any SEC recognition--nor were any of them drafted.
None of the top 5 RBs at UT played on teams anywhere near as bad as we were while Hurd was at UT.

2nd Team all SEC in 2015 behind Fournette and the Heisman trophy winner, Henry--which proves that even those guys who are NOT UT FANS recognized Hurd's incredible ability on the field.

YEAH...HURD did nothing incredible at all while at UT....nothing against Fla or Bama in 2015 or any other SEC teams that would be fitting for a highlight reel--or convince any NFL scout or GM that Hurd has enough talent to make it in the NFL. (S---A---R--C--A--S--M).

And now that HURD has been drafted in the exact place that Kamara was taken--Well, I guess all of you experts feel validated.

The idiocy on this board that masquerades as true FB IQ is just astounding.
SMDH.....

See the UT all time career rushing stats below:
Rushing Yards[edit]
CareerRankPlayerYardsYears
1Travis Henry 3,078 1997 1998 1999 2000
2Arian Foster 2,964 2005 2006 2007 2008
3James Stewart 2,890 1991 1992 1993 1994
4Johnnie Jones 2,852 1981 1982 1983 1984
5Jamal Lewis 2,677 1997 1998 1999
6Jalen Hurd 2,638 [6] 2014 2015 2016
7Cedric Houston 2,634 2001 2002 2003 2004
8Jay Graham 2,609 1993 1994 1995 1996
9Montario Hardesty 2,391 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
10Curt Watson 2,364 1969 1970 1971
Take a minute an look at the five names ahead of Hurd on that list. Four of them went on to have very good pro careers and all played behind most of the best OL in UT history and Hurd had the worst OL as @MikeVol44 states above. Also note that Lewis and Hurd reached their numbers in only three seasons. Lets not forget that Butch promised a lot of kids the moon and delivered a turd sandwich to most of them including Hurd. Butch promised to add I formation offense for Hurd and we saw a successful glimpse of it in the Outback Bowl and that was it. Butch's desire to keep his scheme and to continue to use Hurd as a disposable battering ram was the sole source of the riff that lead to Hurd leaving.

Last edited:
I can't say it's not entertaining to see some of the guys ripping Hurd and downplaying what he did on the field in this thread, then see them talk about JG like he does nothing wrong in another.

I guess that's different though.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Still a head scratcher...guy goes to Baylor for one or two years and gets drafted. Makes you wonder if he would've even got a look if he stayed...

pretty clear he was a 1st round talent at RB. people who hated, including myself, tried to convince themselves other wise. Truth is, kid was right. If Botch wouldve been more flexible enough to run out of the I, kid woulda stayed and a 1st rounder.

Reactions: butchna
pretty clear he was a 1st round talent at RB. people who hated, including myself, tried to convince themselves other wise. Truth is, kid was right. If Botch wouldve been more flexible enough to run out of the I, kid woulda stayed and a 1st rounder.

Lol. He wasn’t even close to first round talent atRB.

Reactions: KBVol
See the UT all time career rushing stats below:
Rushing Yards[edit]
CareerRankPlayerYardsYears
1Travis Henry 3,078 1997 1998 1999 2000
2Arian Foster 2,964 2005 2006 2007 2008
3James Stewart 2,890 1991 1992 1993 1994
4Johnnie Jones 2,852 1981 1982 1983 1984
5Jamal Lewis 2,677 1997 1998 1999
6Jalen Hurd 2,638 [6] 2014 2015 2016
7Cedric Houston 2,634 2001 2002 2003 2004
8Jay Graham 2,609 1993 1994 1995 1996
9Montario Hardesty 2,391 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
10Curt Watson 2,364 1969 1970 1971
Take a minute an look at the five names ahead of Hurd on that list. Four of them went on to have very good pro careers and all played behind most of the best OL in UT history and Hurd had the worst OL as @MikeVol44 states above. Also note that Lewis and Hurd reached their numbers in only three seasons. Lets not forget that Butch promised a lot of kids the moon and delivered a turd sandwich to most of them including Hurd. Butch promised to add I formation offense for Hurd and we saw a successful glimpse of it in the Outback Bowl and that was it. Butch's desire to keep his scheme and to continue to use Hurd as a disposable battering ram was the sole source of the riff that lead to Hurd leaving.
Lol. Nothing is “great” about rushing for 2,638 yards on 589 carries for 4.5 yards per carry in college football. Nothing.

Lol. Would’ve been a late round pick at RB, if that. He knew it. No burst, way too many zero to negative yardage runs, 3.7 yards per carry his last year when Kamara and Kelly were running for 6-7 yards a touch. That’s the biggest reason he switched to WR, because his best skill set was catching the ball, not running with it with his 4.7 speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy
Hurd was a solid tough player, it was a shame what happened. I think he will have a longer career as WR. As I have mentioned, I blame Butch

6th leading rusher in UT history while running behind one of the WORST OLs in the history of UT football--and without a FB as a lead blocker.
NOT ONE of the OL Hurd had blocking for him received any SEC recognition--nor were any of them drafted.
None of the top 5 RBs at UT played on teams anywhere near as bad as we were while Hurd was at UT.

2nd Team all SEC in 2015 behind Fournette and the Heisman trophy winner, Henry--which proves that even those guys who are NOT UT FANS recognized Hurd's incredible ability on the field.

YEAH...HURD did nothing incredible at all while at UT....nothing against Fla or Bama in 2015 or any other SEC teams that would be fitting for a highlight reel--or convince any NFL scout or GM that Hurd has enough talent to make it in the NFL. (S---A---R--C--A--S--M).

And now that HURD has been drafted in the exact place that Kamara was taken--Well, I guess all of you experts feel validated.

The idiocy on this board that masquerades as true FB IQ is just astounding.
SMDH.....
Actually it’s proven that running Single back is the most beneficial offense for running backs.... lol I’m just rubbing you. Appreciate the content though.

I can't say it's not entertaining to see some of the guys ripping Hurd and downplaying what he did on the field in this thread, then see them talk about JG like he does nothing wrong in another.

I guess that's different though.
They've chosen to die on the JG is good hill...its a lonely place with lots of L's hanging around.

Lol. Would’ve been a late round pick at RB, if that. He knew it. No burst, way too many zero to negative yardage runs, 3.7 yards per carry his last year when Kamara and Kelly were running for 6-7 yards a touch. That’s the biggest reason he switched to WR, because his best skill set was catching the ball, not running with it with his 4.7 speed.

He ran the ball at Baylor also. Of the 4 RBs with at least 40 carries he was nearly a ypc behind the others with only a 4.4ypc.

To his credit it really does appear the change of position was the right career call.

Reactions: KBVol

VN Store

Back