Jabari Small Committed.

We need to at least be in the same ball park, year after year, as BAMA, LSU, GA and FL or we cannot expect to win in the SEC. Low level bowl games are almost a given, but winning in the SEC is not-many VOL fans have lost sight of winning in the SEC, I'm looking forward to the day we actually win the SEC Championship again. I understand CP is filling weak spots, but our recruiters need to step it up against our rivals.

Records from 2016 - present (or when these kids in ‘20 class just entered high school)

Bama 51-5
UGA 43-12
LSU 40-11
UF 33-15 (includes a 4-7 season)
Vols 25-24

Not realistic to think we’re gonna immediately be on the same level as these programs recruiting. Since these kids entered HS they’ve known UT to be quite mediocre, while these other teams have excelled and been in the national spotlight.

Be patient. We are building. We’ll jump into this group again soon enough and be competing for championships.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
The top teams teams have 4 and 5 star players because the players rating is based on what schools are recruiting them. If Western Kentucky is on you you’re a 1or 2 star, South Carolina wants you you’re a 2or 3, Alabubba or Clemson is calling you’re a 4 or 5 star. Rivals, etal. Exist to get fans to shell out money on subscriptions. If you think any coach puts any stock in that mess you’re very wrong.
Butch did, but he’s not a coach anymore. So there’s that.

Reactions: rikberry31
If you guys take a minute to go back and look on 247 at the highest rated vols in history a majority were average players to complete busts. The 4 recrouting classes that led up to Alabama's undefeated NC was comprised of : 40-3 stars, 53-4 stars, and 9-5 stars. Saban has averaged 7-3 stars per class with as many as 12-3 stars in a single class. Stars do not matter you simply recruit the best players.

Beg to differ, friend. I would rather have a 3-star 6'2 240 lb good kid from a good home and a winning program who runs nowhere north of a 4.5 in pads and who has an offer list similar to Smalls'. Short of that, I trust the coaches.
Big time O Lineman and a flexible run/pass offensive scheme can make a 3 star Rb look like a 5 star Rb IMO.

Dude, we been through this. At the time Barnett committed he was a 3 star. Became a 4 star after. Google aint as good as living it.

If you guys take a minute to go back and look on 247 at the highest rated vols in history a majority were average players to complete busts. The 4 recrouting classes that led up to Alabama's undefeated NC was comprised of : 40-3 stars, 53-4 stars, and 9-5 stars. Saban has averaged 7-3 stars per class with as many as 12-3 stars in a single class. Stars do not matter you simply recruit the best players.

Very true....how many recruiting analysts are Head Coaches? Seems to me got a bunch on here rather win recruiting circus instead of winning ball games.

Very true....how many recruiting analysts are Head Coaches? Seems to me got a bunch on here rather win recruiting circus instead of winning ball games.
I agree I often think the same thing. They would rather finish top 5 in recruiting than top 5 in football.

I played with 3 NFL football players in high school. None of them nowhere near a 3 star. One got lucky and got a last minute scholly to a big time D1 school.
The others played int FBS and went pro. Stars do not matter...

I played with 3 NFL football players in high school. None of them nowhere near a 3 star. One got lucky and got a last minute scholly to a big time D1 school.
I played against a guy who was a zero star and didn't even get an offer. He was a pro bowl fullback and in the NFL for 8 seasons.

Me too. I taught a gy that I played against and he became the most heralded guy in NCAA history. I'd name him but then you would have to

There was no stars given out when I played just peaches. People would say " there's go a real peach"

Last edited:
I played against a guy who was a zero star and didn't even get an offer. He was a pro bowl fullback and in the NFL for 8 seasons.

That's all well and good but the exception to the rule doesnt make it the rule. You still cannot deny the fact that typically, the teams that consistently finish highest in recruiting usually finish highest in the rankings at the end of the season, especially in the SEC.

That's all well and good but the exception to the rule doesnt make it the rule. You still cannot deny the fact that typically, the teams that consistently finish highest in recruiting usually finish highest in the rankings at the end of the season, especially in the SEC.
You got it backwards, the highest ranking teams recruit a player automatically he becomes a higher rated recruit. Before Alabama or Clemson started winning Nattys their classes were meh. Now they’re top 5 every year. Get recruited by a bunch of blue bloods and you’re a 4 or 5 star, that’s how it works.

None of these players have names? Same ? to ddo,mccage,and lane train

You got it backwards, the highest ranking teams recruit a player automatically he becomes a higher rated recruit. Before Alabama or Clemson started winning Nattys their classes were meh. Now they’re top 5 every year. Get recruited by a bunch of blue bloods and you’re a 4 or 5 star, that’s how it works.

highest ranked teams are recruiting best players, who happen to have the most stars,That is how it works.

VN Store

Back