Jabari Small Committed.

How Strongly is Recruiting Correlated with On-Field Success in College Football

The playoff era has only accentuated this point. Since 2014, only one team has had a composite team recruiting ranking outside the top twenty and advanced to the final four (Michigan State - 2015). Alabama has never been outside the top three. They have five playoff appearances. Clemson has only one year outside the top five. They have four playoff appearances.

As of now, the statement "teams that make the playoffs have, on average, the most-highly recruited players" rings true. The opposite, however, is not.

Thank you! I dont know why so many people cannot come to terms with this. The evidence is overwhelming. No team can win a championship full of "Rudys."

tell that to Saban, and any other coaches playing in the CFP...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE HOOSIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You crack me up. Always look forward to your brief, but memorable responses. Love your standard format- witty comment followed by GBO in all Caps.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Thank you! I dont know why so many people cannot come to terms with this. The evidence is overwhelming. No team can win a championship full of "Rudys."
Your right Rudy was a no star . Let's just say not all 3 stars our equal because of ratings. Many 3 stars shine in college and goes to NFL. Many more just play college only. Some our good college players again many our average. Time will tell.

Man, I wish he was rated a 4* by a bunch of people who probably never physically laid eyes on him. That way we could Boom a lot louder, start up the Running Back U discussion. But most importantly when said 4* slowly develops and adjusts to P5 football as a freshman and does not end up in ESPN Heisman discussions ... then we could start threads about him being a bust.

3*s and just trusting staff evals are so much less exciting for all this.

We all want more 4-5 stars, but our program has been down for a while now. Coach after coach, Pruitt and Staff are going to have to prove themselves before we see all these 4-5 stars pouring in. JMO I’m going to set back and trust the process. Welcome to BIG ORANGE COUNTRY Smalls!!!
GO VOLS

Confused about the ‘dream comes true’ thing. Didn’t he originally pick ole miss over us?
At the time, he said, the Vols “were looking for a bigger back or some bigger backs, and I think they were still evaluating at that point.” Found this quote. He did not have a commitable offer to UT yet.

Reactions: golfballs
Tennessee football: Memphis-area RB Jabari Small commits to Vols for 2020
A three-star on Rivals, Small just barely misses four-star status. He is the No. 13 ranked player at his position and the No. 15 ranked player in the state. Every player ranked ahead of him in the state and all but two all-purpose backs ranked ahead of him have four-star ratings or better.
This guy is just a hair away from being a 4*. Who knows if he'll get bumped up when it's all said and done.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Remy and VOLSONLY
You’re right, I should have added: To. Coaches. Recruiting rankings mean nothing to coaches but they are meaningful for Joe Q. Fan who likes football and wants some insight on potential recruits and the general state of their team. It is like consumers reports on automobiles, they are helpful to the average citizen in general but not to a mechanic evaluating a specific car. College football coaches evaluate players like a mechanic inspects a car, they give no consideration to recruiting ratings.

Don’t worry, he posted a stock photo of a Gibson and then bowed out when he had to put up or shut up. Anyone with a lick of sense about music knows this, although I play guitar as well.

Read further, Florida State’s class last year 3rd, this year 19th. Team success drives rankings, recruiting rankings don’t determine team success. Same as the ground being wet does not make it rain, the rain makes the ground wet

Reactions: Big Al Orange
We need to at least be in the same ball park, year after year, as BAMA, LSU, GA and FL or we cannot expect to win in the SEC. Low level bowl games are almost a given, but winning in the SEC is not-many VOL fans have lost sight of winning in the SEC, I'm looking forward to the day we actually win the SEC Championship again. I understand CP is filling weak spots, but our recruiters need to step it up against our rivals.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
We need to at least be in the same ball park, year after year, as BAMA, LSU, GA and FL or we cannot expect to win in the SEC. Low level bowl games are almost a given, but winning in the SEC is not-many VOL fans have lost sight of winning in the SEC, I'm looking forward to the day we actually win the SEC Championship again. I understand CP is filling weak spots, but our recruiters need to step it up against our rivals.
I'm looking forward to the day when we can field a team that we can feel comfortable in saying that we are talented enough to realistically compete with the upper echelon of the league.

VN Store

Back