Is this program a dumpster fire right now?

Dumpster is definitely smoldering when you hear lame excuses, crazy talk from the head coach and non competitive results against Georgia and Alabama and a 2-3 record, having been blown out 3 weeks in a row, going into November, a loss to lowest paid first year coached Arkansas Saturday night, after an off week, will indicate combustion in the dumpster and a likely quick run to 2-6 and an embarrassing conference result for 2020.

With the guy that started the dumpster fire in 2008 now running the entire program, the meltdown and collateral damage could be significant, permanent and render the program obsolete until the conference expands again and Tennessee gets new opponents on an annual basis, Tennessee is not coming off a championship year like LSU, not rebuilding like Ole Miss or Missouri, this is year 3 of Pruitt's head coaching career and the raw numbers don't look good, the buyout is unaffordable and the talent stockpile seems iffy at best by SEC standards, a blowout in Fayetteville Saturday night with a full game featuring Guarantano, Pruitt and Fulmer need not get on the team plane, just rent a car, head back to Winchester on the way back to wide spot yee haw Alabama

Reactions: rkvdg and Tnslim1
We lost to two top 10 teams and a surprisingly decent UK team. It is disappointing but it is not a dumpster fire. Remember last year when we went on a 5 game run? I wish our fans would calm tf down after every loss. So far the only loss that wasn't projected is UK.
Pretty decent ky? Heck, the only game they looked good in was against us😂. 2-4 isn't much to brag about losing to imo.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
The program is not a dumpster fire. But, some of the fans are. SMH We lost 2 games to two of the best teams in the country. Yes, we lost a trap game to KY and we should have won. Despite the way some fans act it is not the end of the world. Just remember what happened last year.

Dumpster is definitely smoldering when you hear lame excuses, crazy talk from the head coach and non competitive results against Georgia and Alabama and a 2-3 record, having been blown out 3 weeks in a row, going into November, a loss to lowest paid first year coached Arkansas Saturday night, after an off week, will indicate combustion in the dumpster and a likely quick run to 2-6 and an embarrassing conference result for 2020.

With the guy that started the dumpster fire in 2008 now running the entire program, the meltdown and collateral damage could be significant, permanent and render the program obsolete until the conference expands again and Tennessee gets new opponents on an annual basis, Tennessee is not coming off a championship year like LSU, not rebuilding like Ole Miss or Missouri, this is year 3 of Pruitt's head coaching career and the raw numbers don't look good, the buyout is unaffordable and the talent stockpile seems iffy at best by SEC standards, a blowout in Fayetteville Saturday night with a full game featuring Guarantano, Pruitt and Fulmer need not get on the team plane, just rent a car, head back to Winchester on the way back to wide spot yee haw Alabama
Man I say this out of completion compassion - please take off a few weeks and go fishing, hunting, golf trip...Not disputing your opinions (I'm not woke or part of the cancel culture so I guess I'm sound asleep) but I'm a bit concerned about the effects they may be having on your psyche. BTW with your screenname please tell me you did buy a chunk of the tartan turf a few years back and it's hanging in your study?:):)

It could be.

Dumpster fire no not yet. Under performing to fan expectations yes. The last 13 years have been hard but are these really the darkest times of that period? We have had shower discipline. Looking for Rommel instead of recruiting offensive linemen. LBs sitting on a hill staring at a lake. Mattresses burning and 5 star hearts everywhere. 3 game losing streak to Vandy and 8 losses in a season for the first time in program history.

Right now? The program has been a dumpster fire for a vast majority of the past 13 years.
I don't agree, not meeting fan expectations........yes, but not a dumpster fire. Do some fans have unrealistic expectations, sure.

Pretty decent ky? Heck, the only game they looked good in was against us😂. 2-4 isn't much to brag about losing to imo.
Their defense is #16 in the nation. Trailing UGA. Their offense is not impressive but they're far from chalking up an automatic win on a schedule.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Well, 2 wins & 3 losses. Basically last in the nation on 3d downs. So, YEA, I would agree!
Where did you find the info on 3rd downs ?

Never mind, I found it:

UT. 3rd Down %: 26.1. Rank: 97 out of 103 teams

UT Scoring: 22.1 pts/g. Rank: 82 out of 103

I don’t care if Pruitt thinks JG is the best opportunity to win. You cannot start JG with those stats and ranking. . A good coach has to make a change when it’s like this.

I will check JG’s passing rankings next.

Edit: Team passing Efficiency. 71 out of 103 teams.

The Good:
We are better than Kentucky and Vandy in passing efficiency.

The Bad:
However every other SEC team is ranked higher.

Last edited:
If we lose to Arkansas it won’t be good.

Until we learn the value of a really good S&C coach, we will continue to perform poorly regardless of recruiting class rankings.

I finally watched the Bama game and it looked like a HS team playing an NFL team.
It’s not an S/C issue. It is an execution, discipline and recruiting problem. The first two is directly related to coaching. We are in a catch-22 regarding recruiting. You have to play better and win games to improve recruiting but it is harder to win with inferior talent.

Reactions: Tnphil
How come UGA had no problem getting a walk on ready and UF had no problem getting a 2* backup HS QB ready, but our early enrollee 5* isnt ready and its November...(not to mention our 4* 5th year senior)
Stop making sense. Logic has no place around this football program.

Reactions: kenexcelon
If Tennessee drops to Arkansas, I’d say yes. Pruitt shouldn’t be losing to any first year head coaches. Arkansas has been about as bad as Tennessee over the years.
Our whole offensive system just sucks, plain and simple. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t have a power set with two tight ends and two running backs with this big of an offensive line. There’s no creativity. Coach Cut would put in a new wrinkle just about every week to try and show something different. Tennessee would do walk through in the indoor practice facility on Friday and they would go over the first play of the game that they were planning on running and then the new plays. I witnessed it.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Because our Early Enrollee was unable to practice until 2 or 3 weeks ago while UF's Backup HS QB (who has been starting there for 2 years) and UGA's walk on got to practice

But Trask was ready last year from the get go, had to be put in because of injury to Franks, which anyone could see the back up was better than Franks from the very first game.

The program is not a dumpster fire. But, some of the fans are. SMH We lost 2 games to two of the best teams in the country. Yes, we lost a trap game to KY and we should have won. Despite the way some fans act it is not the end of the world. Just remember what happened last year.

The start of what happened last year was he pulled jg, and I believe he would have been pulled the rest of the year had Maurer not got injured. Thats what started our turnaround. Keep jg in there and the players play with no intensity at all. He drags the whole team down. Ark. is not a very good team, and we should beat them even with jg. But we would miss a golden opportunity to give one of the back ups very valuable game experience. With Jg we probably beat Ark and Vandy and thats it. that would get us to 4-6 for the year. We could have beat Ga. this year with a decent qb.

HC, another HC, and another HC. They were/are ultimately responsible. Don’t blame lack of talent, not being ready to play Ga St, BYU, Ky, Fl, and also some teams they eventually beat. Don’t blame assistant coaches, don’t blame Covid (same across every team-look at Clemson), don’t blame off or def game plans, don’t blame players being out of position. The HC gets the big money and has final say on anything he doesn’t like or agree with. Don’t blame the refs.i have read many times posters say CJP has forgotten more football than most have ever known. I agree but that doesn’t make him a good HC. They say he has multiple NCs as defensive co-ordinator. I agree but that doesn’t make him a good HC.
I know the above may sound harsh, but after the SC game I decided I would blame Pruitt for every loss if nothing changed. I still see JG starting, players out of position, strange calls on offense, weak defensive calls, etc. Some assistant coaches grow into HCs and some can’t. Will Pruitt get long enough for fans to find out? I personally think he will get enough time. Will he become a good HC. Time will tell.

VN Store

Back