Is signing a PG a must?

Very true. I just couldn’t think of any with the impact or DT.
In fairness to all the Tennessee players I listed, Diana is one of the all-time college greats. Having said that, the Hornbuckle/Bobbitt tandem was pretty damn good. The pairing of Diamond and Jordan Reynolds also could have been a good one with a more capable coach.

Just a small shrubbery.

I'm in the process of recruiting a backup poster for when I need a nap. Struck out with the transfer portal so far, though.

My dream for Jessie is that she would study John Stockton and become the pesky defender that opponents hate to face. Anticipate passes, fight over screens, set hard picks, take charges, don't back down regardless of size, thread the needle, find the seams and hit the clutch shot. Maximize what you can do and what more talented, selfish players refuse to do.
This RU fan is ready to step up for you during nap time. Hopefully, I’ll be awake.

Reactions: creekdipper
My skin is only thin in this subject because Jordan has not had the chance to show the maturity that Jaz experienced. I have no doubt she will have a much better ratio, in fact I think she will end up as one of the all-time greats at Tennessee.

It's not so much you, LV,,,it is the constant barrage from Darth and co. that has gotten to me. They know she can do nothing to shut them up so they keep pushing the same argument and I know that a few of the players and their families follow this site from a distance bc they have mentioned things said here on twitter or FB,

I know you are a true LV fan. I have read your posts and am proud to call you a fan.

I do not believe that some posters here are fans at all and are here only to troll and cause trouble,
YOU are NOT one of them.! So sorry to make you feel that way.

@LasVegasBill23 Please accept my deepest apology.
Sincerely, Coach J

CJ It is OK your kind words are accepted and no harm intended. I am not that upset by criticism, at the same time I am acutely aware that this forum is primarily more a fan site, and not as much a forum for exchange of ideas…. Well, exchange of ideas within the boundary of a fan site…. And I certainly do not want to be the proverbial skunk at the garden party when it comes to comments on the team and related banter.

I think I have been on here several years…. and my opinions are strong like everyone else’s… I really have said not much as a percentage of the things I think. For instance, I was never going to say anything against Diamond when she was here…. I never from the start thought she was a net positive for our program. Had very little to do with her incredible basketball ability. I knew that was a minority opinion. And the one person I didn’t mind expressing my extreme displeasure of, CHW, I was still sensitive to people’s love for her… it surprised me greatly that even 3 to 4 years into her tenure, she had great support with the fan base. People thought for a long while that she was doing just fine. I saw her as one not up to the task from the start when she filled in that year for Pat.

In my time as HS hoops coach (albeit boys), and later in corporate America in marketing and management, I found that you must be careful in way of communicating, the manner in which you express your thoughts.. ur phrasing... but still you have to speak the truth as you know it.

Things have changed since Pat. Of course there is only one Pat. In my mind though, I cannot stomach watching now and seeing what is billed and lauded as incredible performance when I see the old reels and I see hands up and defensive crouch on defense. Fighters. Diggers. Diving for loose balls. LV player always the first one on the floor to fight for ball. When I was coaching I coached effort. Started with sitting player on end of bench if they weren't willing to pay the price for the school and team. If players “didn’t want to get into defensive posture” as CHW said at a presser, I would have them on the bench. I coached free throws. A bit the mechanics of them, but mostly encouraging them to get to gym and practicing 1,000 or so FTs a day. And then I hear from the former coach that this was not teachable either. CKH a distinct improvement and I look forward to improvement on all fronts.

I haven’t lived in Tennessee in 30 years but still follow the team. I probably watch a dozen games a year. I will continue to do so. Everyone wants to see success … I am hoping for the best.

@LasVegasBill23 as @gule I know both of you are deephearted Lady Vol fans, albeit gule loves to stir me up, but he does it in fun and sportsmanship and I understand him.

I truly care for this team and org, not just as a white knight, as some think, but as a coach, parent and a person who met Pat back in 1996 and 1997 and sat with her and talked to her enough for her to influence me to dedicate my entire coaching time to the advancement of women's BB.

She was an inspiring lady and a hell of a coach. As I fight for these kids, she would have valued and done the same.

@LasVegasBill23 as @gule I truly care for this team and org, not just as a white knight, as some think, but as a coach, parent and a person who met Pat back in 1996 and 1997 and sat with her and talked to her enough for her to influence me to dedicate my entire coaching time to the advancement of women's BB.

200.gif

6982 posts and you just now share your extensive one-on-one contact with Pat?

Last edited:
No big deal, watched half a game she was scouting sitting with her in the stands at McKenzie arena and spoke to each other a few times in the hall....Not saying I know her well, but am saying she influenced me in those few talks

The only issue with Horston last year was the turnovers. I thought she was very good except for those.

Free throw shooting was atrocious, and overall shooting was poor for the volume of shots she takes. Another reason it would benefit her to concentrate on improving her own scoring within the offense by learning to take better shots and taking what the defense gives her rather than worrying about running the offense...

Free throw shooting was atrocious, and overall shooting was poor for the volume of shots she takes. Another reason it would benefit her to concentrate on improving her own scoring within the offense by learning to take better shots and taking what the defense gives her rather than worrying about running the offense...

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
Find a new song Garthie Downer!

Regardless of whether we like it point guard is the most questionable position on the team. We have a talented player there, but no one knows exactly what to expect from her if we have a basketball season. My guess is that she will be a far more mature and skilled player usually happens from freshman to sophomore. Of course there is no guarantee, but the percentages certainly favor her being much better in every aspect of the game.

I expect Jordan will be working on her foul shooting. A PG needs to hit most of her free throws. She forced a lot of plays last year. She made some spectacular shots but also turned the ball over too much. Better choices will be made as she gets coached up.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Exactly. I don’t think he realizes how off putting it truly is. Any time JH is mentioned, he jumps in like he’s the authority and spokesperson for her and creates these fake arguments where he “defends” her.

I bet Jordan will play where her coach deems she will have the most impact. Will that be at PG? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless of what position she plays, I think JH will be great and have a great attitude. She seems to be a good teammate. Like her a lot.
He wants to be her personal trainer and mentor!

I guess its plausible that a hardship case could present an opportunity to bag a good PG, is it likely?

Barring injury, this to me is a perfect opportunity for Jordan to put her stamp on the job of PG once and for all.
I am glad it is as it is.
I see a future great in Jordan and did from day one.
and Not just because she is a "favorite"... ALL Tennessee players are my "favorites"
This gives her an open door to prove me right, or wrong,

VN Store

Back