Is signing a PG a must?

If you are a guard at a power university, you should be able to dribble, pass and shoot. Why can't a backup be developed from the existing team? PG's are not endowed with ability that cannot be learned and developed. I think this years class has built depth even if they don't sign a "PG." Would I like to see Kellie sign another guard, shoot yeah, I just don't think it is critical.

I can see your point. They will have a relatively full roster too. I would not add a body just to have a backup point guard. I’d rather have an attractive spot for an elite kid in the next class.

Kellie is populating her roster with players who are not only versatile but of high character. I certainly don't want to see that change. Now that she has established herself on the recruiting trail, I believe future classes will be better and that is a mouthful given how she is crushing it this cycle. Rae's class consists of one unless Kellie goes the grad transfer route so this will be an excellent opportunity to strengthen multiple positions on the next cycle.

If you are a guard at a power university, you should be able to dribble, pass and shoot. Why can't a backup be developed from the existing team? PG's are not endowed with ability that cannot be learned and developed. I think this years class has built depth even if they don't sign a "PG." Would I like to see Kellie sign another guard, shoot yeah, I just don't think it is critical.
I haven't read this post beyond this comment and I feel certain that my comments are redundant. As a Tennessee fan you just endured a season where this forum was filled with threads and posts lamenting the egregious number of turnovers that plagued last years team. After going through a season like that it's amazing that any fan would undervalue the point position to the extent they believe that any guard can do it. The qualifications that set the point position apart are far more than dribbling and passing. A good point is highly intelligent, with a high BBIQ to see plays and options before they happen. They have strong leadership skills and the respect of the team. They have intimate knowledge of each player's on court tendencies knowing when where and how each player needs to receive the ball. They must in a moment recognize defensive shifts, understand the impact on the game plan, and get the entire team to adjust accordingly. And they typically are tasked with shutting down the other teams offense by containing the opposite number point. You don't win championships without a great point.

I haven't read this post beyond this comment and I feel certain that my comments are redundant. As a Tennessee fan you just endured a season where this forum was filled with threads and posts lamenting the egregious number of turnovers that plagued last years team. After going through a season like that it's amazing that any fan would undervalue the point position to the extent they believe that any guard can do it. The qualifications that set the point position apart are far more than dribbling and passing. A good point is highly intelligent, with a high BBIQ to see plays and options before they happen. They have strong leadership skills and the respect of the team. They have intimate knowledge of each player's on court tendencies knowing when where and how each player needs to receive the ball. They must in a moment recognize defensive shifts, understand the impact on the game plan, and get the entire team to adjust accordingly. And they typically are tasked with shutting down the other teams offense by containing the opposite number point. You don't win championships without a great point.

What about Chloe Jackson and Baylor Chloe played the shooting guard before coming to Baylor .

See 2018 Final Four and ND who knocked you guys out the final four.... 😏

Mabrey was developed into that role by necessity.

Both situations where PGs were developed out of necessity. ND happened to be a great passing team overall and Baylor had good passes to the post duo which was a killer. In the end Chloes ability as a scoring guard is what got her the winning basket to beat ND.

What about Chloe Jackson and Baylor Chloe played the shooting guard before coming to Baylor .

Both situations where PGs were developed out of necessity. ND happened to be a great passing team overall and Baylor had good passes to the post duo which was a killer. In the end Chloes ability as a scoring guard is what got her the winning basket to beat ND.

I think one of the bigger differences here also is that Chloe and Marina were elite HS players who had a few years experience under their belt playing college ball by the time they were asked to take on a different role. Given the dearth of experienced guards on Tennessee, it would be a stretch to assume that an incoming freshman who wasn't one of the premier guards in her glass would be able to take on this role quickly. Destiny could well become like Kamiko, where she grows into the role after 2-3 years...but I think she is at best a "stop gap" at PG for emergency purposes that comes with its own set of challenges.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
I think one of the bigger differences here also is that Chloe and Marina were elite HS players who had a few years experience under their belt playing college ball by the time they were asked to take on a different role. Given the dearth of experienced guards on Tennessee, it would be a stretch to assume that an incoming freshman who wasn't one of the premier guards in her glass would be able to take on this role quickly. Destiny could well become like Kamiko, where she grows into the role after 2-3 years...but I think she is at best a "stop gap" at PG for emergency purposes that comes with its own set of challenges.

That’s great and all but doesn’t fit the narrative of having to have a great PG to win championships. Those teams best other teams with established PGs and won championships. My reply had nothing to do with our team but the fact the poster said you don’t win without great PGs.

So in no way was I comparing our inexperienced guards to theirs but stating you can win championships. The fact of the matter is both of those teams did it without “great” PGs. No other way around it.

And if we go back to what the other poster said about developing them that’s what I was saying those kids were developed into suitable/good pg roles. I wouldn’t call them great though. My issue was with the fact that teams with “great” PGs win. If that’s the case everybody was drooling over Crystal Dangerfield and they should have won with her at the helm.

I hate we lost Jaz to a rival SEC team however maybe I also agree if someone has to play the role of back up pg it should be Salary with the amount of time she had the ball in her hands in HS. I guess now one positive is Kentucky will have its fill of PGs in the future with Massengill, The 2020 signed, Jada Walker, and they have a 2022 pg who is a commit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the UConn fan prospective. What is amazing is that you continue to troll this board misrepresenting facts.
So can you illucidate on what I said was incorrect. Perhaps you could help out one of the poor uneducated masses with just a bit of kindness

you're right there are some who can make the adjustment. And I didn't say it couldn't be done. But the OP seemed to insinuate that point guard skills were easily transferred and it's my opinion that they are not. The poster seemed to denigrate the point guard position to 'anyone can do it'. I know that during my antiquated career, I played 2 through 5 (depending on the team) but no one ever suggested and I did not assume to play the point. Playing off the ball was much easier.

Reactions: mcannon1
you're right there are some who can make the adjustment. And I didn't say it couldn't be done. But the OP seemed to insinuate that point guard skills were easily transferred and it's my opinion that they are not. The poster seemed to denigrate the point guard position to 'anyone can do it'. I know that during my antiquated career, I played 2 through 5 (depending on the team) but no one ever suggested and I did not assume to play the point. Playing off the ball was much easier.

My bad... when I saw you say “you don’t win championships without a great point ” I just assumed you meant it can’t be done. My bad 😏

But I do get what you are saying 😃

My bad... when I saw you say “you don’t win championships without a great point ” I just assumed you meant it can’t be done. My bad 😏

But I do get what you are saying 😃
Chloe Jackson, while not a point guard her first three seasons was a great point guard her senior season with 203 assists and 81 turnovers in Baylor’s championship season. That doesn’t fit your scenario.

Notre Dame was an unusual example two years ago. Both Young and Marbrey handled the point and together were great.

I’d say that with the rare, rare, rare exception, You cant win an N.C. without a great point guard. Do the Parker championship teams with without Bobbitt?

Chloe Jackson, while not a point guard her first three seasons was a great point guard her senior season with 203 assists and 81 turnovers in Baylor’s championship season. That doesn’t fit your scenario.

Notre Dame was an unusual example two years ago. Both Young and Marbrey handled the point and together were great.

I’d say that with the rare, rare, rare exception, You cant win an N.C. without a great point guard. Do the Parker championship teams with without Bobbitt?

Thank you my thing was he said you can’t and we have seen you can. It doesn’t matter if it’s only 1 out of 100 teams that do it it still can be done. And it fits my description exactly because they were taught and the position it wasn’t natural.

I also think if it was based on pgs the Rutgers should have had the upper hand in the UT vs Rut match up in 07.

The Parker championship teams had Parker so I don’t know. Honestly, she just took her teams up. But Bobbit was good I don’t know I would call her great.

Thank you my thing was he said you can’t and we have seen you can. It doesn’t matter if it’s only 1 out of 100 teams that do it it still can be done. And it fits my description exactly because they were taught and the position it wasn’t natural.

I also think if it was based on pgs the Rutgers should have had the upper hand in the UT vs Rut match up in 07.

The Parker championship teams had Parker so I don’t know. Honestly, she just took her teams up. But Bobbit was good I don’t know I would call her great.
I didn’t make the original post on this, but I would change great to good.

There's a former 5 star transfer point guard still in the portal. She's leaving AR. A'Tyanna Gaulden is her name.

HawgBeat - Pair of Arkansas women's basketball players enter transfer portal

"Gaulden, a former five-star recruit, will be looking for the third school of her collegiate career, as she originally signed with Florida State. The 5-foot-7 Georgia native spent just one year with the Seminoles before transferring to Arkansas.

After sitting out a season because of NCAA transfer rules, Gaulden played two seasons with the Razorbacks. She missed seven SEC games with an injury last year, when she averaged 5.0 points and 2.5 assists in 13.0 minutes.

This season, Gaulden led the Razorbacks with 100 assists despite never starting and playing only 16.8 minutes per game, which ranked sixth on the team. She also averaged 6.9 points, highlighted by a 17-point effort at Florida."

Has anyone heard of A'Tyanna Gaulden's plans?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
Edited. Gaulden may not be a grad transfer.
If she is, she could play immediately. She'd have only 1 year of eligibility, so her presence wouldn't discourage 2023s or 2022s from signing.

Last edited:
Reactions: creekdipper
Gaulden could play immediately since she's a graduate transfer. She'd have only 1 year of eligibility, so her presence wouldn't discourage 2023s or 2022s from signing.
Even though I don't know if she is a Grad Transfer she is listed on the blog as a redshirt junior. That could mean that she hasn't graduated even though she sat out a season or it could mean that he didn't know her status as well. If she were coming to Tennessee I would think it would be in the next month. I am still hoping team will be able to start team workouts with the coaches by at least August. Not really getting my hopes up that she is a factor for us kind of a fantasy dream that we could get her here she is a quality player.

Gaulden could play immediately since she's a graduate transfer. She'd have only 1 year of eligibility, so her presence wouldn't discourage 2023s or 2022s from signing.

Or 2021s (if a Grad-T).

Also, she might not be coming in expecting to start but would like to play somewhere she'd get quality minutes. The experience she would bring would be a great asset along with her assists.

How is her defense?

Even though I don't know if she is a Grad Transfer she is listed on the blog as a redshirt junior. That could mean that she hasn't graduated even though she sat out a season or it could mean that he didn't know her status as well. If she were coming to Tennessee I would think it would be in the next month. I am still hoping team will be able to start team workouts with the coaches by at least August. Not really getting my hopes up that she is a factor for us kind of a fantasy dream that we could get her here she is a quality player.

You are right. I was mistaken that she is a grad transfer. Without a waver, next year is her last (5th) year of eligibility. I thought she had graduated since she's been in college 4 years. That may not be the case.

Reactions: Volfan2012
We still need a pg.
giphy.gif

agreed, a backup PG is definitely a need....not an absolute, but it sure would make me feel better

If you cannot get a player you expect to become an above average SEC player, grad transfer would be ideal so the add doesn’t tie up a roster spot beyond this year and become an obstacle to landing an elite kid next cycle IMO.

VN Store

Back