Is Rocky Top out dated?

Does anyone toyyink that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first hwas in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

50 year old hillbilly country song? are you seruous? You call yourself a volunteer fan? Give me a damn break. What should we play? Enter Sandman? Nickleback? Some collaboration of Niki Manaj? Somewhere the General is doing a face palm. Rocky Top is tradition its a part of the school the history, and the first thing anyone thinks about when they play the Vols.

So I very kindly say get the hell outta here.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember last season a guy wondered if we could do away with running through the T..in favor of a giant under-the-turf elevator to lift the entire team "on stage" for games. He also wanted to change our color Orange to a "pine needle green to reflect the evergreens in GSM National Park. Stupid people should not breed. Rocky Top is not, and never will be outdated.

One more thing, I hope you never buy football tickets.

Youll be annoyed by the end of the first quarter with that hillbilly song...

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

This is some kind of sick joke.....you are not really a Vol fan are you?

I remember last season a guy wondered if we could do away with running through the T..in favor of a giant under-the-turf elevator to lift the entire team "on stage" for games. He also wanted to change our color Orange to a "pine needle green to reflect the evergreens in GSM National Park. Stupid people should not breed. Rocky Top is not, and never will be outdated.

Haha that was a golden post. Pretty sure he was just trying to get people's goat but it was hilarious!

How in the hell could any Vol fan ask such a damn stupid question. Rocky Top forever!

I was in Brazil on vacation, and strangers would sing Rocky Top to me cause I had a Tennessee hat on....

It is BIG!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Go To Hell..........................kidding about the Hell thing
but stop with this nonsense

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Trolls everywhere.

No, not one freaking bit.

Can you even imagine Michigan fans considering dropping The Victors? How about Notre Dame fans kicking The Victory March to the curb? I can't.

I believe Rocky Top, along with the two fight songs mentioned above, are the most RECOGNIZABLE in the country.

As long as there is a University of Tennessee sports team left playing, there will be Rocky Top.

The melody does tend to evoke images of Jed Clampett, Jethro, Granny, and Ellie May in their natural habitat, but saying Rocky Top is outdated is sort of like saying the Star Spangled Banner is outdated.

The OP is my hero. 4 hours, 147 posts later (of the same two things) and not a peep from the OP. This is more than just a troll job. Can't believe we're still giving the same answers over and over to feed him. Congrats to this guy.

Honey! Bring me some Popcorn...........and while we're at it.......let's change the U.S. National Anthem to a more recent classic..........."You Can't Touch This" by the one and only M C HAMMER!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
No

Troll thread of the year.

Leave VN and never come back!

446b81823a0e3ed88902542d9550131a2ddcdaabaa066fe85f87412b234b1883.jpg

VN Store

Back