Is Rocky Top out dated?

This just in- Notre Dame has decided to remove Touchdown Jesus and replace it with an updated mural of Jay Z in order to recruit better.

Reactions: 2 people
"Rocky Top" is one of the most recognizable fight songs in college. One would be a fool to change it at this point.

Maybe in the future if there's a hit song about Tennessee. Until then.........NO!!!

Hell Florida State played "Rocky Top" when they players Miami just to piss them off.

... UT not playing Rocky Top ? geess that's just wrong ! :loco:

Couldn't disagree more. Every fan from an opposing team I know hates Rocky Top, which is a great reason to keep playing it 40 times a game IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
"rocky top" is one of the most recognizable fight songs in college. One would be a fool to change it at this point.
Maybe in the future if there's a hit song about tennessee. Until then.........no!!!

not one of, it is the most recognizable fight song in college sports!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Look up the fight songs that piss off opposing fan bases the most. Rocky Top is up there on almost every list. It's not just SEC opponents, it's in the heads of anyone we play.

OP is not a Vol fan which is why it bothers him.

I ran across this one a few years ago on another web site complaining about Rocky Top being played so much.
rockytop.png

let's break down the lyrics....

Wish that I was on ole Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee Hills.
Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top,
Ain't no telephone bills.

Ok, this shows the school was ahead of its time the way an institution of higher learning should be. No one has a telephone anymore. Everyone has a cell phone. Rocky Top is clearly forward thinking.

Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,
Half bear the other half cat;
Wild as a mink as sweet as soda pop,
I still dream about that.

Does this really need explanation? And kudos to a university that thinks from a male point of view.

Once two strangers climbed on rocky top,
Lookin' for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain't come back from rocky top,
Guess they never will.

Now, again, this is vital educational information right here. Two strangers and some moonshine and the possibilities are endless. This is something all young people need to be aware of.

Corn won't grow at all on rocky top,
Dirt's too rocky by far.
That's why all the folks on rocky top
Get their corn from a jar.

This is an example of the kind of research that can really reach people in their daily lives. Corn is good. But, the corn won’t grow. How do we get our corn? Rocky Top educates and informs.

Now I've had years of cramped up city life,
Trapped like a duck in a pen.
Now all I know is it's a pity life
Can't be simple again.

Again, more life lessons. Don’t take all that high priced education and go out in the city and expect to be happy. Stay where that moonshine flows and the corn don’t grow. Stay where women are sweet as soda pop.

Chorus

Rocky top, you'll always be
Home sweet home to me.
Good ole rocky top,
Rocky top tennessee, rocky top Tennessee

Now, how can this ever get old? Home. Who doesn’t pine for home?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Corn won't grow at all on rocky top,
Dirt's too rocky by far.
That's why all the folks on rocky top
Get their corn from a jar

This is an example of the kind of research that can really reach people in their daily lives. Corn is good. But, the corn won’t grow. How do we get our corn?

That raises another question. If corn won't grow on Rocky Top, then where does the corn to make the moonshine come from? Hopefully not from some ferrin' (foreign) land like KY.

Oh my. Wow. I am young and am all for a jersey change up here and there, but I want rocky top forever! Tghat is like saying running throught the T is becoming outdated. Holy smokes.

I love rocky top, but we do need something else also. Every bowl game I have been to the other team absolutely smokes us with different chants, shouts and overall fan involvement, and its not even close.

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Been saving my first post for something important so...NO WAY!!!

Reactions: 9 people
Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Not no, but Hell NO!

:thud:

Shut the FRONT Door! Doesn't matter WHEN it became a tradition, it only matters that it is NOW a tradition. Mods...put this poster on double secret probation!

VN Store

Back