Is Rocky Top out dated?

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Must be a troll from another fan board. :lolabove:

IT'S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL!!!

Prides me to see everyone come together on this.

I heard John Pennington ask the same question on his show a while back. I just about blew a vessel then!

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
This Moronic question is Blasphemy! So... if your "hillbilly" you must watch Fox which automatically labels you a racist/homophobe. May as well get rid of that Power T while we are at it... it is a sign of strength and that might hurt a weaker, emotionally challenged football fans feelings! Geezzzzz.. I bet this dude has a Nancy Pelosi poster on his closet door

Reactions: 1 person
Recognized world wide...catchy...sounds amazing when the Pride plays it. Dolly sang it in concert in London and the crowd sang along. I dare say there is NOT another fight song as recognizable and "hum inducing" as Rocky Top. I would bet there are plenty of bammers, cocks, gators, and dogs that hum it in their minds and don't even realize they are humming it until its too late...and then an hour later they're humming it in their minds again. We have the best song EVER!

My father-in-law taught at Alabama and is a diehard Crimson Tide fan and he even told me a few weeks ago that he thought Rocky Top was probably the most recognizable and best fight song (even though not our official fight song) in the country. Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, etc., might disagree, but at the very least Rocky Top is top 2-3. I know it drives opposing fans crazy too, which makes me love it even more.

This^^^ :thumbsup:

This thread...

k9ezyd.gif

Reactions: 4 people

That's not a bad idea. Also, orange is a little outdated. Lets go with a different color scheme like teal and maybe lavender. "Vols": boooooooring. How about renaming UT something more modern like the Fighting Vapor Cigarettes? You sir, are on to something...

Reactions: 3 people
Bammers were singing it when we put a beat down on aTm in a bowl game

Just a question. Why keep any of our iconic identifiers? Who needs to have an old hunting dog as a mascot; or its silly cartoonish human filled counerpart? Who needs some lunatic running around the field in animal skins on his body and head carrying a rifle? What about the color orange? that needs to go altogether!

Ok, most understand this is blue font all the way. UT has been around for awhile and there are certain things that are assosiated with the sports program. We cannot completely lose our identity.

The most recognized fight song in all of the sports world, and you suggest eliminating it?

Does tradition and values mean anything anymore?

Gave you a like for the gall displayed. I'm neutral on the RT and would slide to a +1 if that gay Woooo! could be stopped.

I like our real traditional fight songs. Down the Field! Fight Vols Fight with All Your Might!

VN Store

Back